Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there GPS waypoints for the Primitivo?

timjstark

Primitivo 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
Do any of you know if there are downloadable GPS waypoints for the Primitivo?
I will be hiking next May (my first Camino!) over 14 days from Oviedo. I am hoping to use GPS as a backup in case the routing is not clear.
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Tim

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be hiking next May (my first Camino!) over 14 days from Oviedo. I am hoping to use GPS as a backup in case the routing is not clear.
Tim
Hi, Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

Wikiloc.com has a ton of Primitivo GPX tracks. Easy to download. However, and though you didn't ask :D... I can say confidently that you won't need a GPS on the Primitivo. I have walked it three times now, never with one. In fact, the last time I was on the Primitivo, I had my GPS with me, which I had used for the Camino del Ebro/Castellano-Aragonés/San Olav. On those solitary untravelled routes, I always recommend having one. I definitely would not have had fun without it. But I didn't even bother to load Primitivo tracks on it, so my little Garmin lay tucked in the bottom of my backpack for the rest of the camino.

And just another little bit of unsolicited information -- If you can add 4 or 5 days onto your walk, starting in León and walking the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo is a just breathtaking warm-up. I know no one who has ever regretted walking the Salvador! Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tim

This is the one I use:

http://www.rayyrosa.com/caminoprimitivo/mapa-y-track

Just scroll down until you see "Descargate el track". There you will find two icons, one for GPX and another for wikilock.

Out of curiosity, do you know anyone who has ever walked any Camino and regretted it? :)
Yes, what someone posted quite recently about a particular route indicated to me regret. Perhaps you are seeing clearly through rose coloured glasses? ;);) ....... (Just couldn't resist that! :D)
But, seriously, thank you all for this talk of GPS tracks and kml waypoints. I am considering the Aragones for next time and I need to think of being a bit more self reliant, and no doubt knowledge of these issues will be helpful. The links are especially appreciated. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What's wrong with getting a little bit lost, or mislaid as I prefer to call it?
There's nothing wrong with getting lost, or mislaid, but I prefer to know when I've mislaid myself. That way I can decide how long I want to remain mislaid. Being mislaid, and not knowing it, I don't think would be much fun. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's impossible to get lost on the Primitivo. The marking is very clear and it's not like you are walking in the wilderness. The only place where markings become a little harder to find are when you get to a town. But asking a local will always get you pointed in the right direction. GPS waypoints are totally unnecessary.

I have retired my old heavy Garmin and now use the app of the Geographycal Institute which include downloading of tracks of all Caminos de Santiago (and also Parques Nacionales).
More info at http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/

Really I only use it when, for any reason, I am out of the way and want to go again on the way, and also to keep my own track.

buen Camino
Jean-Luc

Tim

Using the app Locus Map (the pro) is great with the routes of almost all the caminos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry - just forgot. The Locus Map is for the Android smartphones

I used an app on my iPhone called 'Trailsmart' en route to Santiago and Finisterre. I believe the app was free, and offers a lot of general trail data. For a small fee (around $5 US) you can also download maps for use offline to save data costs while on the trail. I liked the app, especially having the map downloaded to my phone. It offers a variety of data in addition to the maps, but the app requires some attention to master all of its options. That said, I'll use it again. A map of the Primativo from Oviedo is available.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.