• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there taxis from Burguete to Colegiata de Santa María?

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
We are walking from SJPP to Burguete (only option available) and I know it's going to be a long, long day. I really would like to go to the Pilgrim's Mass Colegiata de Santa María at 8 PM, but I'm not sure that I want to add the extra 6 KM that walking to and from would add to the day. Maybe I'll be refreshed by then? But if not, are there taxis in the area that would at least take me to the mass and then I can walk back afterward?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are walking from SJPP to Burguete (only option available) and I know it's going to be a long, long day. I really would like to go to the Pilgrim's Mass Colegiata de Santa María at 8 PM, but I'm not sure that I want to add the extra 6 KM that walking to and from would add to the day. Maybe I'll be refreshed by then? But if not, are there taxis in the area that would at least take me to the mass and then I can walk back afterward?
Kasee,
If you Google the terms Burguete taxi you will see a few possibilities pop up. Furthermore when you first arrive at Roncesvalles stop at the albergue, any hotel, or the tourist office to ask about taxis.

Last edited:
@Kasee, I'll assume you have tried to reserve a bed at the Albergue in Roncesvalles and have found none available. The Albergue does not make all its beds available to reservation and you may well find that a bed will be available. When are you walking and from where?

That said, a taxi from Burguette/Auritz will likely be readily available in peak, September, season. The driver may even be happy to hang-out and drive you back to your accommodation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kasee,
If you Google the terms Burguete taxi you will see a few possibilities pop up. Furthermore when you first arrive at Roncesvalles stop at the albergue, any hotel, or the tourist office to ask about taxis.
Thank you

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Kasee, I'll assume you have tried to reserve a bed at the Albergue in Roncesvalles and have found none available. The Albergue does not make all its beds available to reservation and you may well find that a bed will be available. When are you walking and from where?

That said, a taxi from Burguette/Auritz will likely be readily available in peak, September, season. The driver may even be happy to hang-out and drive you back to your accommodation.
Thanks! We are pre-booked at a hotel in Burguete. I was planning to ask once we check in, but wanted to mentally prepare myself to walk back if the area is too remote for a taxi.

The driver may even be happy to hang-out and drive you back to your accommodation.
Actually, the driver will be even happier transporting exhausted latecomers to nearby villagers when they discover Roncevalles is full! 😂!!! It may seem like he stayed there during Mass, but he’ll make plenty during that hour. 👍

Also, plan to stay post-service for the church tour, if it’s offered.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Actually, the driver will be even happier transporting exhausted latecomers to nearby villagers when they discover Roncevalles is full! 😂!!! It may seem like he stayed there during Mass, but he’ll make plenty during that hour. 👍

Also, plan to stay post-service for the church tour, if it’s offered.
Thank you!

Hello welcome to Forum
So... SJPdP to Burguette!!!! Quite formidable of a task IMHO - about 35km via Napoleon or 30 via Valcarlos.
Definitely a 10 (perhaps even "plus") hour day, at least by my estimates so if you leave at 6:00 am you should arrive around 4:00-5:00pm (maybe even 6:00pm all depends on how many breaks and for how long you take)....
Yes I dont think I would want to walk extra 6km....
I think you need to call for a taxi in Burguette - you might have to snoop around on some sites or a number can be readily available in local bars.

Hello welcome to Forum
So... SJPdP to Burguette!!!! Quite formidable of a task IMHO - about 35km via Napoleon or 30 via Valcarlos.
Definitely a 10 (perhaps even "plus") hour day, at least by my estimates so if you leave at 6:00 am you should arrive around 4:00-5:00pm (maybe even 6:00pm all depends on how many breaks and for how long you take)....
Yes I dont think I would want to walk extra 6km....
I think you need to call for a taxi in Burguette - you might have to snoop around on some sites or a number can be readily available in local bars.
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Albergue does not make all its beds available to reservation and you may well find that a bed will be available.
Unfortunately, a volunteer at Roncesvalles, @Ianinam has advised on the forum that they now (post Covid) allow all beds to be reserved and so if no beds are available for reservation then the only free beds will be the people who don't turn up to use their reservation but I suspect those aren't known until later at night.

Thank you Doug for answering 😁
Yes, at the moment there is no maximum of reserved beds. But it all depends on when you are walking. At the moment it is not as busy as in pre-covid August periods, we have enough beds every day. Normally the first weeks of September are very busy, full house day by day, but the total of beds has increased now from 217 to 245 so probably there will be no problem.

@Kasee, if I were you I would cancel your reservation in Burguete; SJPdP is a very long stretch over the mountain. If you are in a good condition and the weather is perfect it is certainly doable.
You know yourself in what condition you are, but you never know the weather. It is unpredicticle, it can be very hot, it can be very cold, rain, mist, winds ..... and then a 30+ walk over the mountain is certainly not walk through the park.

Thank you Doug for answering 😁
Yes, at the moment there is no maximum of reserved beds. But it all depends on when you are walking. At the moment it is not as busy as in pre-covid August periods, we have enough beds every day. Normally the first weeks of September are very busy, full house day by day, but the total of beds has increased now from 217 to 245 so probably there will be no problem.

@Kasee, if I were you I would cancel your reservation in Burguete; SJPdP is a very long stretch over the mountain. If you are in a good condition and the weather is perfect it is certainly doable.
You know yourself in what condition you are, but you never know the weather. It is unpredicticle, it can be very hot, it can be very cold, rain, mist, winds ..... and then a 30+ walk over the mountain is certainly not walk through the park.
Thank you for your concern. I get it. We are very much aware of the challenging day that we will have crossing the pass and have a healthy amount of anxiety about it. :oops:The place where we're staying in Burguette will pick us up in Roncesvalle if we are too tired to walk the rest of the way. The thread started with my question about the availability of a taxi service to take me to the Pilgrim's Mass if my legs are too tired to walk back to Roncesvalle in the evening.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ik ben een hospitalero in Roncesvalles, er zijn plaatsen genoeg, reserveren is uiteraard heel goed maar er zijn altijd plaatsen over.
en Ja, er rijden taxi’s van Burguete naar Roncesvalles maar ook deze moet je reserveren.
Het beste is om in de albergue te blijven slapen.

But then again: why sleeping in Burguete if the Mass in Roncesvalles is so important to you (and I can imagine it is as this Mass is an impressive start of any Camino!)? You have to be transported by taxi in the afternoon from Roncesvalles to Burguete, and - as your question was - in the evening again to and from Roncesvalles when there is enough place in the albergue in Roncesvalles as I and my colleague @HansuutTwente already wrote before? This will in no way be a relaxed end of a very tiring day ...
Most pilgrims arriving in Roncesvalles spend the rest of the afternoon taking a shower, doing their laundry (or let us do it for them), resting/sleeping, having a drink, just hanging around at our courtyard, meeting other people they met on their way, having a pilgrims' dinner in the restaurant at 7 pm.
You will be in taxi's ....

But then again: why sleeping in Burguete if the Mass in Roncesvalles is so important to you (and I can imagine it is as this Mass is an impressive start of any Camino!)? You have to be transported by taxi in the afternoon from Roncesvalles to Burguete, and - as your question was - in the evening again to and from Roncesvalles when there is enough place in the albergue in Roncesvalles as I and my colleague @HansuutTwente already wrote before? This will in no way be a relaxed end of a very tiring day ...
Most pilgrims arriving in Roncesvalles spend the rest of the afternoon taking a shower, doing their laundry (or let us do it for them), resting/sleeping, having a drink, just hanging around at our courtyard, meeting other people they met on their way, having a pilgrims' dinner in the restaurant at 7 pm.
You will be in taxi's ....
For reasons that I don't care to discuss in a public forum, we need a private room. There were none in Roncesvalle for the night we are arriving, so we went with Burguette. I absolutely understand that this is not ideal, but it the hand that we've been dealt. Instead of reminding me of everything that I will be missing out on (of which I'm painfully aware), please consider that we are trying to do the best that we can in a less-than-ideal situation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used local train and/or bus a couple of times and enjoyed this way of learning more about the countryside and local people. May not serve if distance walked is your goal. I was 82 on Frances the first time, 85 the second so of course this way of going helped preserve my feet.

For reasons that I don't care to discuss in a public forum, we need a private room. There were none in Roncesvalle for the night we are arriving, so we went with Burguette. I absolutely understand that this is not ideal, but it the hand that we've been dealt. Instead of reminding me of everything that I will be missing out on (of which I'm painfully aware), please consider that we are trying to do the best that we can in a less-than-ideal situation.
For what it is worth I do not think you are missing out at all.

Please do not feel you need to explain yourself here!
The local taxidrivers will be happy with your calls.
Happy preparations!

For what it is worth I do not think you are missing out at all.

Please do not feel you need to explain yourself here!
The local taxidrivers will be happy with your calls.
Happy preparations!
Thank you for your encouragement. 💗

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back