Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Are we becoming like man’s best friend and marking our territory?

Past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
5E6DC1BE-244F-400A-A5B7-9E3F4838F35C.jpeg 9FC8CA27-E2B9-4FE6-BE01-B8A10FAAB308.jpeg 4FE97E58-AA04-47A6-A885-AA0BD4EB9BC4.jpeg 98464ABD-A847-4D93-B367-6D672437A578.jpeg
I have passed this sign 4 times coming into Santiago and the first time in 2014 really liked it as it was a welcome to be here. 2017 it was still fairly decent looking. 2019 I thought it was getting trashy and today, 2021, the one with the pink and yellow ponchos, it is disgusting to me. Maybe it’s just me but today I just thought it was like dogs marking their territory. I tried to put them order but beyond my skill level.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Yes, I agree it is so very tacky.😐 If the sign had been adhered to a solid backing, the temptation to add brick-a-brack would have been avoided.
EDIT...Or not, as I see stickers all over the letters themselves.🙄

May 2015
Screenshot_20211004-121242~2.png

Last edited:

darealdeal77

Past OR future Camino
2014 Camino Frances
It’s a shame! The same goes for the littering all throughout Camino Frances. When we did our Camino in 2014, I told a friend back home “Who needs to follow the Yellow markers, just follow the toilet paper!” People don’t believe in LEAVE NO TRACE, only leave footprints! It’s pretty sad, that we humans have no consideration for others and the environment! Buen Camino!

stinmd

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - May 2015; Camino del Norte/Primitivo - July/August 2016; Camino Portugues - Sept 2017
It’s a shame! The same goes for the littering all throughout Camino Frances. When we did our Camino in 2014, I told a friend back home “Who needs to follow the Yellow markers, just follow the toilet paper!” People don’t believe in LEAVE NO TRACE, only leave footprints! It’s pretty sad, that we humans have no consideration for others and the environment! Buen Camino!
On my last Camino, some idiot had spray-painted the word "LOVE" all over the place, which is far worse than littering since those can't easily be removed/erased.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Bert45

Past OR future Camino
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
What's wrong with people? When I walked past Lavacolla in 2016 I took the attached photo. It hadn't been like that in 2014. I contacted the authorities in Santiago and asked them to tidy it up. There's the 'broken windows theory' which you can google if you're not familiar with it. It seems that all it needs is one idiot who thinks it would be a good idea to leave some memento of his passing, and a hundred sheep will follow suit. 1-3rd sd disc 209.JPG

Turga

Camino tortuga
Past OR future Camino
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
A symptom of these times, i’m afraid. Some time ago, one of my very old relatives (she is 93 but mentally quite sharp) told me: “I’m so glad that I lived most of my life in the previous millennium”, and though I am considerably younger, I understood exactly what she meant.

MichaelB10398

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Humans can be such desperate little creatures. Desperate to be remembered and desperate to be noticed. There is such a high degree of insecurity within so many humans. Unfortunately, their personal interests begin and end at the end of their nose.
So many are incapable of being aware of others - that a community of humans exist around them. They are only able to see their own wants and desires.
It is the "me" generation on steroids.

Last edited:
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
This particular man’s best friend is concerned only with procreation, consumption and defecation; so far as I can tell. He seems to regard the first and second as his right, and the consequences of the third as my problem.

When he chooses to mark his territory - which appears to consist of the entire United Kingdom and a good part of France if his behaviour is anything to go by - it has a purpose. It communicates his presence to other, clearly inferior, animals in a way they understand and appreciate.

Human litter, and the vast majority of graffiti (I’ll allow that some has artistic merit), serves a purpose only in the mind of those responsible; in my opinion.

In the words of the late, lamented, Mel Smith:

‘Cut their goolies off’

Past OR future Camino
Perhaps the credencial should include, on the first page, a warning to not be a pig and to Leave No Trace. I can imagine local villagers wondering if the cost of the desecration of their environment is worth the Camino running through their town.
Hmmm, I think I answered my own question. I'm sure it is economics.

Last edited:

Yoyo

✿ Se hace el camino al andar. ✿
Past OR future Camino
I like to think that most forum members wouldn't dream of littering Spain with stickers, shoes or other stuff – but that particular Santiago de Compostela sign has become somewhat of a landmark in itself. I guess most of us have photographed it or even posed in front of it.

My guess is that Santiago authorities strategically placed it there (next to a busy road, well outside the historic city center) to give arriving pilgrims so inclined a place to do their ritual. This way, the mess is kept to one place rather than all over the city or even in the vecinity of the cathedral, and they only have to clean up the area a few times a year. Otherwise, they could have taken the sign down years ago. The official Santiago street sign is just a few meters down the road.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 22.28.24.png

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

RJM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A few times
Who knows why they do it. Selfish? Childish? Product of poor parenting? Mentally ill? Who knows? I just look upon the culprits as rude idiots.

Mmmclean

Past OR future Camino
I never use TP when I have to go outside. I figured out how to do it years ago when I was a runner. Also, I brought dog poop bags "just in case" and had to use it once. I packed wet wipes for that purpose. I cleaned up after myself and carried it to a town and used one of the city garbage receptacles. Sorry if that is too much info, but think about it. Never throw even organic waste such as fruit pits, cores or peels either. I keep a baggie for that.

Bob P

Past OR future Camino
First timer, leaving April 3rd from SJPDP
On my last Camino, some idiot had spray-painted the word "LOVE" all over the place, which is far worse than littering since those can't easily be removed/erased.
"Love wins" in red paint....
Every marker after Sarria into Santiago in 2018. I think I would have strangled them if I caught them. They weren't far ahead as paint was fresh.
MUCH less graffiti before Ocebrera

Gabi Wehler

Past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino Frances mid May 2018
View attachment 110463 View attachment 110465 View attachment 110466 View attachment 110464
I have passed this sign 4 times coming into Santiago and the first time in 2014 really liked it as it was a welcome to be here. 2017 it was still fairly decent looking. 2019 I thought it was getting trashy and today, 2021, the one with the pink and yellow ponchos, it is disgusting to me. Maybe it’s just me but today I just thought it was like dogs marking their territory. I tried to put them order but beyond my skill level.
That is disgusting, disgraceful and disrespectful. Not funny at all. It’s a beautiful sign to see in arrival in Santiago. Didn’t see any trash in 2019. Just also read the article about pilgrims dumping their stuff at n around the cathedral. Maybe it’s time to place warning in multiple languages that there will be fines issued. Sad

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads