• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hug Santiago at last

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
From the Cathedral website:
A partir de las 10:30 h de este miércoles 14 de junio, el camarín del Apóstol Santiago quedará abierto, por lo que se podrá realizar de nuevo el rito del Abrazo al Apóstol Santiago. Los primeros en acceder serán los miembros del cabildo catedralicio. A continuación, quedará abierto a todos los fieles que lo deseen. A partir del jueves, el horario general de acceso será de 8:30h a cierre de la catedral, a las 21:00 h, si bien deberá cortarse coincidiendo con la celebración de la Misa del Peregrino en el altar mayor.

Para acceder al camarín del Apóstol se ha habilitado un recorrido que, accediendo a la catedral por la puerta de Azabachería, permitirá venerar el Sepulcro del Apóstol, para, a continuación, subir al camarín del Abrazo. La salida se realizará por la puerta de Abades, en la parte superior de la Quintana. En lo relativo al rito del Abrazo, se recomienda evitar besar la imagen y el contacto directo con la cara.

El acceso al camarín del Apóstol quedó cerrado al público el 13 de marzo de 2020, como consecuencia de las restricciones derivadas de la pandemia por Covid-19.

To paraphrase: As of tomorrow 14th of June. Visits to see Santiago up close/hug begin again.
Entrance is presumed to be through the Azabacheria doors and exit through Abades doors. Not available when Masses are being celebrated.
New “suggestions” are to not kiss the statue or put your face up to it.
No mention of picture taking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not being Christian, can someone please explain why anyone would want to hug it (other than somewhere along the way it became the thing to do). I can understand touching it but can not wrap my head around hugging a statue. TIA

Not being Christian, can someone please explain why anyone would want to hug it (other than somewhere along the way it became the thing to do). I can understand touching it but can not wrap my head around hugging a statue. TIA
I have no idea how historically accurate this article is. There are many forum members who really know the history of the Camino and the Cathedral and I am sure if they read this they can shed light on its accuracy,

I have no idea how historically accurate this article is. There are many forum members who really know the history of the Camino and the Cathedral and I am sure if they read this they can shed light on its accuracy,
Thank you for the article! Very interesting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back