Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Arriving in Santiago at fiesta time

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
Ok, so I'm setting off from St Jean Pied de Port on 27th May. I have a route planning app and my first attempt at a plan came out at 65 days (I'm not in a rush). I then reduced this down to 63 days. Then I realised that if I reduced my number of days to 59, I could arrive in Santiago on 24th July in time for the fiesta.
So my question is can I just walk into Santiago on 24th July and expect to find a bed? Should I book somewhere? Any recommendations?

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
After Jesus found us a place to sleep in Santiago the first time (no lie here, it was one of those Camino things) in an apartment on Muralla I think, we concluded to always call a few days ahead for Santiago. Even when it's not the Saint's day festival. There is also Hotel San Roque I think it's called, by the fuente San Roque. Not bargain basement cheap but in the middle of things and the lady is very sweet. So that's a couple you can consider, also there is a large list at Gronze.com. HTH!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Molly, may the road rise to meet you! On the first camino I walked, we only booked our Santiago accommodation. All the rest was pot luck. Times have changed somewhat, but I think you would do well to book something. On that first trip, we booked for three nights in a private albergue, something to do with stars, - Acuario - near the bus station. It was a bit out of town, maybe 15 minutes walk. The second time we went to the Last Stamp. It suited us very well. It was new, well located, and reasonably priced. A good kitchen, with plenty of tables, so easy to organise a shared meal with some pilgrims we had walked with. so, your choice, but I would not risk not booking.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
Molly, may the road rise to meet you! On the first camino I walked, we only booked our Santiago accommodation. All the rest was pot luck. Times have changed somewhat, but I think you would do well to book something. On that first trip, we booked for three nights in a private albergue, something to do with stars, - Acuario - near the bus station. It was a bit out of town, maybe 15 minutes walk. The second time we went to the Last Stamp. It suited us very well. It was new, well located, and reasonably priced. A good kitchen, with plenty of tables, so easy to organise a shared meal with some pilgrims we had walked with. so, your choice, but I would not risk not booking.
Thank you. That's really what I wanted to know.
And thanks for all the recommendations. I will have a look and think about how long I want to stay.

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Lemovicensis + Francés;
2016 Podiensis + CdN + Fisterra;
2018 VdlP + Sanabrés + Muxia/Fisterra
checked that place out. It does look nice but they don't have any availability for my dates.
Sorry.
Yes, I´ve heared that around the St. James day they are quiet occupied, mainly by spanish groups. But I´m surprised that it happens already nearly a half year ahead.

Buen camino.
¡Ultreia!

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
I’ve already been looking for 2021 and have called the Parador and San Martin and they say they are not taking reservations over the Holy Days as they are booked.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
I also checked this site and they are pretty booked up, which means the Hospederia must be a great place to stay! Thanks for the suggestion. :)
It is a great place to stay. It is getting so crowded that in December I called them on about December 5 for a December 10 arrival and all the pilgrim rooms were booked!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock