• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

As Mother's day approaches... a Camino memory

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
Mother's Day for me these last few years is a bittersweet day. I remember the woman who birthed me, raised me, made me who I am through genetic influence and caring gestures of trust, and hope. It is bittersweet because she is no longer around.

My first Camino was because of my mother. She had a friend who was an adventuresome sort. This said friend and her planned a Camino.

I was an early 30's, overweight, ex athlete who was spending more couch time than should be prescribed. I remember telling my mother, I want to come (hoping for something new to jumpstart my life)... she jumped to include me.

We met in Leon... after she had walked from SJPdP for the past 4 weeks. I remember walking into Hotel Paris on that first day, and I learned that someone already occupied my room. Somewhat shocked and confused, I headed up that curious skinny European elevator, and was brought to the door. Opening it, I saw her, and the socks and underwear drying, sink washed, on some fangled clothesline of her creation. Those who know, know.

Two days later we were met by her friend, and her friend's family... They had done their own version of the camino, taking excursions, even renting a car.

I had been reading my mothers pre-reading and notebooks before I left. I knew, that for this trip to be a success, we would need to reach Santiago. Walking.

During those days spent in Leon, waiting for her friends, not walking...I grew restless. We have got to go! Let's do this!

The friend and family, once they arrived the next day, were hesitant to proceed. "No, let's hang out here for a few days, go to the Cortes Ingles, chill."

The son of the family even said, "You aren't going to make it, you might as well accept that."

F**k that, that was icing on the cake. That night, I turned to my mother and said, "We leave tomorrow, together. Without them."

And she willingly accepted. And we walked for 13 days from Leon to Santiago, our first night was in Mazarife, the climb to O'Cebreiro was memorable. We stayed at Rabanal, and enjoyed a hotel in Ponferrada when my own diarrhea was quite discomforting but the private bathroom made things better.

Finally, on that last day of arrival, we checked into Hotel Rua do Villar, cleaned up, and walked to the Cathedral to enjoy a pilgrim's mass with the giant incense thing swinging.

The next day we took a train to Madrid and headed home.

My mother stepped up her game so that we could reach our goal, walking further than she ever had those first four weeks to make sure I made Santiago.

She didn't live long enough to enjoy another Camino.

Just a few months after the trip, her cancer returned. 2 years later she was dead.

But here's the thing, after that trip together, all the time spent with my mother, both challenged physically, linguistically, culturally, we enjoyed a bond never experienced before. I called her EVERY DAY after our trip until her death, and we exchanged pleasantries and recollections, each knowing that we were a team unsuspected, driven to teamwork by the Camino.

My point is this, if you have a chance to do the Camino with mom or son or daughter, go for it. Blood relations make easy the tired spastics of routine confrontation. You have a chance to enjoy a bond that I consider paramount in my life.

I think maybe I go back each year to be with her again, just out of the corner of my eye.

mom.png

Damien

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mother's Day for me these last few years is a bittersweet day. I remember the woman who birthed me, raised me, made me who I am through genetic influence and caring gestures of trust, and hope. It is bittersweet because she is no longer around.

My first Camino was because of my mother. She had a friend who was an adventuresome sort. This said friend and her planned a Camino.

I was an early 30's, overweight, ex athlete who was spending more couch time than should be prescribed. I remember telling my mother, I want to come (hoping for something new to jumpstart my life)... she jumped to include me.

We met in Leon... after she had walked from SJPdP for the past 4 weeks. I remember walking into Hotel Paris on that first day, and I learned that someone already occupied my room. Somewhat shocked and confused, I headed up that curious skinny European elevator, and was brought to the door. Opening it, I saw her, and the socks and underwear drying, sink washed, on some fangled clothesline of her creation. Those who know, know.

Two days later we were met by her friend, and her friend's family... They had done their own version of the camino, taking excursions, even renting a car.

I had been reading my mothers pre-reading and notebooks before I left. I knew, that for this trip to be a success, we would need to reach Santiago. Walking.

During those days spent in Leon, waiting for her friends, not walking...I grew restless. We have got to go! Let's do this!

The friend and family, once they arrived the next day, were hesitant to proceed. "No, let's hang out here for a few days, go to the Cortes Ingles, chill."

The son of the family even said, "You aren't going to make it, you might as well accept that."

Fuck that, that was icing on the cake. That night, I turned to my mother and said, "We leave tomorrow, together. Without them."

And she willingly accepted. And we walked for 13 days from Leon to Santiago, our first night was in Mazarife, the climb to O'Cebreiro was memorable. We stayed at Rabanal, and enjoyed a hotel in Ponferrada when my own diarrhea was quite discomforting but the private bathroom made things better.

Finally, on that last day of arrival, we checked into Hotel Rua do Villar, cleaned up, and walked to the Cathedral to enjoy a pilgrim's mass with the giant incense thing swinging.

My mother stepped up her game so that we could reach our goal, walking further than she ever had those first four weeks to make sure I made Santiago.

Just a few months after the trip, her cancer returned. 2 years later she was dead.

But here's the thing, after that trip together, all the time spent with my mother, both challenged physically, linguistically, culturally, we enjoyed a bond never experienced before. I called her EVERY DAY after our trip until her death, and we exchanged pleasantries and recollections, each knowing that we were a team unsuspected, driven to teamwork by the Camino.

My point is this, if you have a chance to do the Camino with mom or son or daughter, go for it. Blood relations make easy the tired spastics of routine confrontation. You have a chance to enjoy a bond that I consider paramount in my life.

I think maybe I go back each year to be with her again, just out of the corner of my eye.

View attachment 25679

Damien
Dude...wow. Your Mom was a badass!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You make us cry -
You lost her so young too ! A beautiful soul .
My sympathy.
I've recently come home from visiting my son who now lives in Vegas and we (3 of us with his fiancée too) did quite a few road trips during my month there., covering 4 states.
I felt it was a beautiful time of bonding doing this with an adult son and felt loved and wanted the whole time.
One day we would have been pretty close to your stomping ground as we went to the Long Beach Grand Prix while staying with in laws at Dana Point .

I'm so glad you had your beautiful bonding time on Camino and following ,with your mom - and can draw on those memories time and again for strength and a smile.
Keep walking
Buen Camino.
Annie

Fuck that, that was icing on the cake. That night, I turned to my mother and said, "We leave tomorrow, together. Without them."

View attachment 25679

Damien
Dear Damien, as I was reading on the forum I came upon your lovely post. A year ago my husband and I were on the 5th week of walking the Camino Francés. This year on April 16 he went into cardiac arrest and never woke up again. It gives me comfort to know that we were able to do such an amazing trek together. I have 2 large photoalbums of our time together and will always cherish those pictures. My husband was the adventurous one and asked me to join him and I said yes and am forever grateful for that choice in my life. Yes it is true doing the camino with a loved one is a beautiful bond that gives us the courage to carry on. I do not know if I will be back alone but if I get strong again, there is a possibility. For all forum readers if you are contemplating doing such an adventure, then do it sooner than later.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

F**k that, that was icing on the cake. That night, I turned to my mother and said, "We leave tomorrow, together. Without them."

View attachment 25679

Damien
Thanks Damien, I burst into tears after reading your post. Your Momma was a beautiful women. The person I would have loved to share this journey with is my identical twin Jan. She passed away a few years ago. I hope she will be with me at times on this journey. I am hoping to leave my sorrow and survivors guilt behind me in Spain. I want to come home renewed and full of joy and ready to get on with my wonderful life. Thanks for sharing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A truly wonderful post Damien. And thank you for sharing a pic of your Mom with us - she was a beautiful woman. What an awesome experience to have had with her, I know you will treasure it always.

My mom has also passed on (cancer also) :( I miss her so much - but my Dad, who is 92 wishes he could walk with me - he said he'll ride a donkey along side of me instead!

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who remember their loving and adventurous mothers at this time. My mother was my best friend and I shall always miss her, although I cannot imagine taking her on the camino with me. But I did get her to go backpacking in the Rocky Mountains with me twice and we had many other wonderful adventures together. She taught me two vital things: to go forward on the adventures that were calling me, and that I can take care of myself. With those two lessons, I continue to be ready for anything.

View attachment 25679

Damien

This made me cry. Your mom looks so vibrant and beautiful, and so very happy. She was smiling for you---in that photo.She was smiling AT you. What a wonderful, wonderful relationship. Happy Mother's Day, @Damien Reynolds .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Damien, as I was reading on the forum I came upon your lovely post. A year ago my husband and I were on the 5th week of walking the Camino Francés. This year on April 16 he went into cardiac arrest and never woke up again. It gives me comfort to know that we were able to do such an amazing trek together. I have 2 large photoalbums of our time together and will always cherish those pictures. My husband was the adventurous one and asked me to join him and I said yes and am forever grateful for that choice in my life. Yes it is true doing the camino with a loved one is a beautiful bond that gives us the courage to carry on. I do not know if I will be back alone but if I get strong again, there is a possibility. For all forum readers if you are contemplating doing such an adventure, then do it sooner than later.
I cannot fathom your recent loss. Such a bummer. I am so thankful I was able to share the experience with her. I am sorry but happy at the same time you were able to share it with your beloved. It took me a few years to go back, but when I did it was also with family, my sister, so she could share what Mom and I experienced.

Thankyou for sharing your story with us here Damien...I also, like others who have posted, felt very moved indeed.....a very special Bond and a special time in your life. It is my hope and wish that I will be able to walk it with my beautiful daughter although she is not well at the moment.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just wanted to add a post script. For many of us, Mother's Day and Father's Day are holidays that are--on one hand--cherished for memories, and on the other hand, dreaded for the sadness that accompanies losing a beloved parent. For those of us who have lost children, there are other thoughts that come to mind. April is the cruelest month? Perhaps not.

What a healthy, healthy, wonderful way to deal with loss though, to walk the Camino de Santiago---with one's mother. What a wonderful way to be able to look back. And walking with a burden is such a good way to deal with grief and loss. I am so glad that we all have this common love--along with love for our families and friends. It is very much our human condition, to strive on despite so much hardship and the heartaches that come with living.

This week has always been pretty hard for me, but I have an extra piece of information to share, one that makes me smile: my stepdaughter is going to have a baby! And she and I are very close. So, in six months, I will be a grandmother! I received a Mother's Day gift a few weeks ago, a "first photo" of my little grandchild, on a black and white ultrasound plastic!

I just wanted to add a post script. For many of us, Mother's Day and Father's Day are holidays that are--on one hand--cherished for memories, and on the other hand, dreaded for the sadness that accompanies losing a beloved parent. For those of us who have lost children, there are other thoughts that come to mind. April is the cruelest month? Perhaps not.

What a healthy, healthy, wonderful way to deal with loss though, to walk the Camino de Santiago---with one's mother. What a wonderful way to be able to look back. And walking with a burden is such a good way to deal with grief and loss. I am so glad that we all have this common love--along with love for our families and friends. It is very much our human condition, to strive on despite so much hardship and the heartaches that come with living.

This week has always been pretty hard for me, but I have an extra piece of information to share, one that makes me smile: my stepdaughter is going to have a baby! And she and I are very close. So, in six months, I will be a grandmother! I received a Mother's Day gift a few weeks ago, a "first photo" of my little grandchild, on a black and white ultrasound plastic!

Congratulations, Deb. I wish you joy of your grandchild.

A beautiful tribute, Damien.

I wonder how many of us owe our 'rambling ways' to our mothers? I know that I certainly do. It's a gift that has me remembering her everywhere I travel. Mum died aged 84 some years back now but would have loved the Camino and she would have been such great company. Here's a photo taken when she was only 64 on one of our horse drawn caravan trips in the Australian Bush. I can only hope that I'll be walking as well and as strongly then - only a few years away!

To all our mums both here and gone - Buen Camino y Gracias por todo!

IMG_5906.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I wonder how many of us owe our 'rambling ways' to our mothers? I know that I certainly do. It's a gift that has me remembering her everywhere I travel. Mum died aged 84 some years back now but would have loved the Camino and she would have been such great company. Here's a photo taken when she was only 64 on one of our horse drawn caravan trips in the Australian Bush. I can only hope that I'll be walking as well and as strongly then - only a few years away!

View attachment 25717

A wonderful picture. Our camping holidays were never like this.

View attachment 25717

This is a wonderful photograph. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Looking at the photo of Mum took me back to that wonderful trip and reminded me that I had also meant to add for the OP:

All the love you created is still here. The memories are still there. You live on - in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here...
Death ends a life,
not a relationship.

Mitch Albom
Tuesdays with Morrie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 25679

Damien

Damien,

This is really beautiful. thank you for sharing!

This July, I am walking from Leon with my seventeen year old daughter. I already feel blessed that we're going to share this adventure, that (at 17) she actually wants to go with me and that we'll both have the memory throughout our lives.

Yay! Being a Grandmother rocks!

Your story brought tears to my eyes as well, Damien.

In mid-June, my sister, with whom I am very close, and two nieces (also very close) will be walking the CF from Burgos to Santiago. My sister and I are in our 60's. The nieces are 21 and just graduating from college. We envision ourselves as four strong women having the time of our lives -- a multi-generational bonding.

€149,-
Thank you -- all of you -- for these beautiful posts. It's a reminder we are each walking our own Life Camino and it's an incredible blessing and enrichment when we can share a stretch of the path with a loved one.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back