• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack and waist (lumbar) pack

rglongpre

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Figeac (2012); Camino Frances (August 28, 2015)
If I use both lumbar and backpack do both weights need to equal 10% of body weight? I am using the fanny pack to hold camera and quick access to first aid kit. I am hoping that it distributes weight better allowing for an "extra".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wouldn't bother with the first aid kit up front, unless you are very accident prone . . . You'll want you wallet close by though . . .

I'll be doing the same thing since my pack only has one tiny travel kleenex pack sized mesh hip belt pocket. I want instant access to my camera and daily expense money. I do count what is in my waist pack as part of my 10%.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh dear! The 10% 'rule' raises its ugly head again. Its a great target to carry less, but 10% is a magic number. I am still waiting for someone to point to an authoritative source for this so called rule that isn't circular - people here on this forum pointing to things that come back to people on this forum etc, etc.

If you are walking in summer, without a lot of electronic gear and are prepared to be a bit uncomfortable, 10% might be an achievable target.

I walked the Frances, Ingles and Finisterre in spring, and this year carried about 12% of my body weight (before adding food and water) without difficulty. I could have carried less, but wasn't prepared to forego a sleeping bag and liner, some comfortable 'evening' shoes and a decent camera. These were all personal choices that added weight and undoubtedly slowed me down a bit.

By all means have a low pack weight target. If you want to travel fast and far, it is clearly important to be as light as possible.

And if you are using a pack weight target rather than the much better 'from the skin out' approach, then both backpack and waist pack need to be included in your calculations.

Wouldn't bother with the first aid kit up front, unless you are very accident prone . . . You'll want you wallet close by though . . .

I disagree. Not only do I disagree, I believe that such advice is dangerous. I know, the Camino is not a wilderness expedition. There are towns everywhere, there are other pilgrims everywhere. Of course there are, until you actually NEED them! People, please, bring your first aid kit! Bring your cellphone! "It won't happen to me," and "I'll be okay," are NOT good plans. Save weight somewhere else, unless you can schedule your medical emergencies in a decent sized town, Monday through Saturday, between the hours of 9am to noon and 3pm to 6pm. Rant over.

10% is a guideline. It's a good starting place. What is more important is how the pack feels. This is why training walks are so important. Not only do you build up your strength, but you get a chance to shake down your gear and work out all the bugs in it. Select a good pack that wears well and holds your gear. It's easier to walk 5 hours with a properly fitted pack that's 20% of your body weight than it is to walk 1 hour with an ill-fitting pack that's 5%.

Go for comfort first. You might discover than you can handle 15%. Or you might learn that even 10% is too much for you.

I think CanPete's advice was that the first aid kit didn't need to be up front in the front waist pouch, accessible in seconds. Rather, it could be placed in the backpack somewhere, maybe in a convenient pouch at the top. I don't think he was suggesting not to take it!

I agree that one should take a basic first aid kit, cellphone and whatever supplies you might need in between towns! Also, that 10% is a guideline, not a rule.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry a smartphone for many reasons, but would never rely on it to get me out of trouble. I'd use it, just not rely on it. In the mountains and remote places reception is very patchy. If you are going off-grid, make sure you let people know your intended route and when and where you expect to be in touch again. The rest of the time you will be likely surrounded by other pilgrims who can help you if the need arises.

I carry a waist pack (or bum bag as we Brits call it). In it I kept credential, bank cards and extra cash in a waterproof pouch, camera, tissues, , spending money for the day, painkillers (unused on my recent camino, constantly used on my first!), biro, ear phones, portable external battery charger (great piece of kit), charging leads, a couple of hair bands and clips. My phone lived in my pocket most of the time but there was room for it in the bag. And I also hung from the belt my 750 cl water bottle in an insulated bottle holder.

Keep in mind that when it is hot, condensation will form in the pocket closest to your body. If you have electronic equipment in here it might be best to keep it in a ziplock bag.

I find that I don't feel the weight when carrying it from my waist. When I am day walking at home without a full backpack I prefer to use a waist pack rather than take a day backpack. It holds all I need for myself and my dog and I carry two water bottles hanging from the belt.

I carry a smartphone for many reasons, but would never rely on it to get me out of trouble. I'd use it, just not rely on it. In the mountains and remote places reception is very patchy. If you are going off-grid, make sure you let people know your intended route and when and where you expect to be in touch again. The rest of the time you will be likely surrounded by other pilgrims who can help you if the need arises.
@Kanga, not all the routes are as busy as the CF, if that is what you are basing this advice on. This year on the Camino Ingles, on half of the days I didn't see another pilgrim, and on the remainder very few when walking. If something had gone wrong, on most days I would have needed to rely on locals rather than other pilgrims. I didn't see that as a problem.

My view is that if one is walking one of the less popular routes, having a first aid kit that can cover a broader range of circumstances than just patching blisters is a good thing.

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If I use both lumbar and backpack do both weights need to equal 10% of body weight? I am using the fanny pack to hold camera and quick access to first aid kit. I am hoping that it distributes weight better allowing for an "extra".

You can carry as much or as little as you like. For me, 10 percent of body weight is way too much and as a rule of thumb gives way too much leeway to include unnecessary items that are of doubtful use. From my point of view most of the weight in a pack is anxiety weight, e.g. "what if this unlikely event happens?" You decide what is important for you, and that's what you should carry. I met a woman on the Camino that was carrying one kilo of make-up. I couldn't see it, but that make-up was essential to her. None of us should judge. Ten percent rules are completely arbitrary. Personally I prefer Sherlock Holmes's "seven and a half percent solution."

I used a "fanny pack" that had a pouch on either side for a water bottle. It was invaluable. I saw so many pilgrims who could only reach their water if someone else retrieved it for them from the side of their back pack, or worse still actually had to remove their pack to get to their water. And it was great for carrying some snacks as well as phone and cash.

I carry a waist pack (or bum bag as we Brits call it). In it I kept credential, bank cards and extra cash in a waterproof pouch, camera, tissues, , spending money for the day, painkillers (unused on my recent camino, constantly used on my first!), biro, ear phones, portable external battery charger (great piece of kit), charging leads, a couple of hair bands and clips. My phone lived in my pocket most of the time but there was room for it in the bag. And I also hung from the belt my 750 cl water bottle in an insulated bottle holder.

Keep in mind that when it is hot, condensation will form in the pocket closest to your body. If you have electronic equipment in here it might be best to keep it in a ziplock bag.

I find that I don't feel the weight when carrying it from my waist. When I am day walking at home without a full backpack I prefer to use a waist pack rather than take a day backpack. It holds all I need for myself and my dog and I carry two water bottles hanging from the belt.
I do exactly the same! My waist pack has 2 water bottle holders built in on either side. And by the way, I also have the portable external battery charger - charge that instead of your phone at public places, and it's got enough life in it to charge your phone about 2 times. winner.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a "fanny pack" that had a pouch on either side for a water bottle. It was invaluable. I saw so many pilgrims who could only reach their water if someone else retrieved it for them from the side of their back pack, or worse still actually had to remove their pack to get to their water. And it was great for carrying some snacks as well as phone and cash.
I have one the same, with 2 'holsters' for water bottles. Use it all the time on my practice walks and it's great. You drink water all the time without even thinking about it, as the bottles are right there. I also use it as I don't have pockets - walk in quick dry runner/hikers 3/4 fitted leggings, no chaffing. I can't stand walking in pants with pockets and things swishing about, so this is the solution, and I love it. Also then you have all your valuables in there in one place, so easy to leave your big pack and just take that with you everywhere.

As to these front various forms of pouches, also known by silly names like bum or fanny which according to which English speaking country you speak means totally different things, please look, as Kanga and I keep going on and on about, at the Aarn backpacks - http://www.aarnpacks.com/
I have, apart from owning one of their packs, no financial interest in this company - my only interest is in your welfare and the state of your back.

I carry happiness and plenty of smiles, thats all that matters as to what weight or what bags it will always sort itself out, to much post ahead to little pick it up on the way. Not worth the worry or verbage.
Trevor

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think CanPete's advice was that the first aid kit didn't need to be up front in the front waist pouch, accessible in seconds. Rather, it could be placed in the backpack somewhere, maybe in a convenient pouch at the top. I don't think he was suggesting not to take it!

I agree that one should take a basic first aid kit, cellphone and whatever supplies you might need in between towns! Also, that 10% is a guideline, not a rule.

You're right! I mistook what he said! I apologize!

To add more on the secondary packwhat I used.

https://m.highsierra.com/product/B00IT4BTH2

I had the previous model, but the concept is the same. I used it to carry my camera, tablet, guidebook, and other odds and ends I wanted to keep within easy reach. The best part was at the end of the day, I could drop my backpack off at the albergue and just grab my side bag and go off for dinner or shopping or whatever.

Yes I believe that Aarn packs are great but I could not find one that fit me well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is no local Aarn retailer where I live, so I am going to have a look at them when I am down in Melbourne in August. I saw one at a local camino friends meeting last weekend, and it seemed to live up to its promises. But it wasn't fully loaded - only about 10kg in a 60li pack, and I wasn't quite sure why one would need one that size for most camino routes and seasons, even walking in the depths of winter. I will be interested to see how well the smaller packs work.

The pack I bought is a Fishpond (designed for anglers). I have an image of it on my blog site, I think the lastost - http://rglongpre.ca/pilgrim/ - I have to admit it more than pleases me.

Last edited:
My backpack is a 38L Cause and it has lots of room left even when packed, even enough room for the lumbar pack if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.