• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Features to Look For

SherreeLynn

I have been following the recommendations on size, weight and suggested brands of backpacks, but can you provide guidance on the most important features of your favourite backpack.

Our training has been going so well that we decided to add a basic backpack that we already own to our routine. Ugh, what a difference. The weight distribution will be better with a proper backpack so we have moved that purchase up on our list of Camino acquisitions. Will be good to know what the "must have" features are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi! The features I like about mine are the pocket on the back for a water bag, and the 'Airflow' design that leaves a gap between your back and the pack so you don't get too sweaty. The water bag is great so you have a tube to your mouth rather than reaching round all the time for a bottle, but you usually have to buy the water bag separately. (2 litres is good; you don't usually fill it to 2l, but it's good to have the option.)

Side pockets are good for guidebook etc.

My pack has served me well on 3 Caminos of various lengths and is still ready for another (I think!). It's a Berghaus 35+8, but I don't know if they're available in Canada. Buen Camino!

Backpack preferences will vary with every person you ask so there is really no way to answer this question. You're just going to get a bunch of "I like to have" comments - which isn't necessarily bad but can be confusing and is very different from "must have".

If you're not familiar with backpacks, it'll take some trial and error to find what your "must haves" are and even then you'll likely be flexible. For example, I prefer a pack that is both top and side-loading but the side-loading makes it significantly heavier so I'm willing to give that up.

I strongly prefer a pack with a lid as I find it makes stowing things on the go so much easier than having to undo your top opening.

I personally don't like water bladders so a pocket for one isn't a big priority for me (though it's virtually impossible to get a pack that doesn't have one these days).

I also don't like the "airflow" design (assuming it's what I'm thinking of where the part that touches your back is mesh and the pack itself arches away from it) as I find it stiff and uncomfortable.

I don't like pockets on my shoulder and hip straps as I find they chafe my arms while I'm walking but many people love them. I'll likely cut them off of whatever pack I decide to go with.

I don't like all the extra straps and fasteners most packs some with so those will likely also be removed.

What it comes down to is this - my must haves are:

- light
- comfortable
- easy to pack

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's very very important to have a proper fitting backpack with internal support and a comfortable, padded hipbelt (not a waistbelt). Make sure the straps come across the crest of your hip bones as this is wear you carry most of the pack's weight), not around your waist, and that the length of the pack is right for you (good sports stores know how to fit you). Make sure, when loaded, that the pack doesn't rub against any bra straps or pant loops (easier to adjust your clothing). It's nice to try backs with different pocket configurations to see what suits you - most like to have a separate small zippered compartment, ie. at the top, so they can access small items such as maps or snacks, without digging into the back itself. I personally find a small pocket on the hipbelt very convenient as I keep some lip balm or an energy bar there.

Also, people often pin not-dry laundry to their packs in the morning so it can dry while they walk - so you might want to check out any small loops or straps on the bag that would assist in this (without puncturing the pack itself).

Look into the store's return policy before you buy a new backpack as there's a good chance you'll change your mind a couple of times on what's best for you

vagabondette said:
I personally don't like water bladders so a pocket for one isn't a big priority for me (though it's virtually impossible to get a pack that doesn't have one these days)...

I also don't like the "airflow" design (assuming it's what I'm thinking of where the part that touches your back is mesh and the pack itself arches away from it) as I find it stiff and uncomfortable...

What it comes down to is this - my must haves are:

- light
- comfortable
- easy to pack
Ha ha! The differences of opinion show how you have to try your backpack out and feel what is comfortable for you. Airflow is exactly as Vagabondette describes, although there are only a couple of mesh strips so it doesn't totally cover your back. That's not where the weight is carried if it's adjusted properly. Personally I love it.

I don't want to get too far off topic but the water thing is very important to me. I need to drink a lot of water when walking and have yet to find a better system than a tube to mouth. The best alternative I can imagine is one of these water bottle 'holsters' round your waist.

There are also gender-specific backpacks which are worth considering. Take your time and be prepared to spend a little more money than you'd like if it really feels right. Your backpack can be your friend or your enemy, and it's up to you which it is!

Buen Camino!!!

We are with Tyrrek most of the way here. The Berghaus Airflow system is ideal for us. Terry's is about the same as Tyrrek describes, mine is the 25+5, ladies model. Hip belts stop the pack swinging and help to carry the weight correctly for us, with a chest strap (height adjustable) to prevent the shoulder straps slipping. Great packs :)
We use the side pockets for water bottles and the inner water bladder pocket for credenciales to and from Camino, paper and our home made flexi-mat plates. Both packs are top loading with side pockets and top pocket in the lid, plus a waterproof cover in a dedicated pocket.
The only real way to find out what suits is to go and try packs on, as has been said, with a load in the pack. Either take your proposed kit or use some items from the shop eg sleeping bag/liner etc. and some of your own clothes. An empty pack fits so differently to a full/part full one.
Hope you can find a shop to advise you well.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Response from Berghaus about availability. Unfortunately this doesn't mean you can try it on in a shop first!

''Dear Keith,

Thank you for contacting Berghaus.

We are pleased to inform you that we can deliver to any country around the world.

Delivery times do vary but we do our best to get the items to customers within 10 working days.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact one of the Berghaus team on 0845 607 2477 (UK) or 44 (0)1254 277247 (Int) between the hours of 8.00 - 18.00 Monday - Friday.

Alternatively you can contact us using our help pages at http://help.berghaus.com

Kind Regards
Amanda
Berghaus.com Customer Service''

I have walked the Camino on two different occasions and have used the same back pack both times - I am leaving Sept 11 to walk it one more time with the same pack again. The MOST important thing to me was weight and fit. Go a little heavier on the pack for a better fit but, in my opinion, your pack should not weigh more than 3lbs. I have tried to replace my bag (which has since been discontinued) but have yet to find a lighter pack.

Two things I did differently the second go around:

1. Water bladder instead of the water bottle. I walked by myself both times and it made a huge difference to me since I couldn't grab my bottle while walking without assistance or having to take my pack off. It is so much simpler this way plus then your hands are always free in case you involuntarily slip...which is bound to happen at the most inopportune times.

2. The second big change was last year I added a fanny pack to my outfit. Not very fashionable (I know!) but so so much better for me. Not only did it help keep the weight down off my shoulders but it kept thins that I used frequently while walking right there at my fingertips. I carry my sunblock, chapstick, camera, guidebook, credentials, money, and plane tickets. This way when I take my pack off to walk around town at the end of the day I already have my essentials in one little place.

Good luck with your shopping!!

Bianca

I just spent about 30 minutes cutting off extra straps and shortening other straps on my (otherwise great) Osprey pack.
So my tip is - be ruthless!!!
I have had the pack for a year now and surely if I was going to use the "Stow on the Go" feature I would have done so by now!! :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've just thought of something else that sometimes comes up on this forum. Some people like to take their pack as cabin baggage rather than checking it in. Check the size limits and make sure the basic frame of your backpack is within the dimensions required. As long as the basic frame is within limits you should be OK. If it's getting too 'fat' just wear more of your clothes (especially fleeces, rain jackets etc) as you check in and board the plane to make the pack a bit smaller.

Buen Camino!

Lightweight. I wish I'd gotten a lighter pack because our can always throw out more junk you packed but the backpacks weight itself is relatively fixed.

Hydration bladder holder. Self explanatory. Easily my favorite feature of my pack (Osprey 48).

All the straps and loops on the front and back of the pack made it easy to tie, clip, or otherwise affix things to my pack for easy access, drying, or what have you.

As far as carry on vs checking, you should definitely try for carry on. I was told the same thing and ignored the advice, deciding to check it instead, and of course it got lost. getting your pack back from the airline is frustrating at best...and damn inconvenient when it contains everything.

Oh - as a flight attendant I thought I might chime in on the carry on vs checking bit. CARRY ON ALWAYS!! If you want to bring food items, trekking poles with tips, large sunscreen, pocket knife, or anything else TSA regulated then just check those items. Put them in a box and only check those items. I did this in 2011 and didn't have a problem. IF those things get lost at least they are replaceable whereas your backpack, clothing, sleeping bag, and all the rest are not...well, I guess they are but much more expensive to replace. :)

If you are flying stand by (like me) or want to check your bag going home I highly recommend bringing a laundry bag or duffle bag that will fit your entire back pack in it. The reason being that your bag will go through a series of conveyor belts when checked and all your straps and zipper pulls have a tendency to get stuck in the grooves therefor ripping your bag to shreds. I purchased a $4 laundry bag for my pack in the event our bags don't make it due to bin space or we don't feel like dragging them home with us. It weighs next to nothing but is worth it's price in gold considering my pack is discontinued!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Biancad! Yes, I was being a bit parochial as a European. Here we have to pay around £30 to check in luggage so we try to avoid doing so if possible. In some cases that can make a big difference to the cost of your flight. Wearing 3 t-shirts and 2 jackets on the plane is preferable if you're on a budget. It's cheaper to buy toothpaste etc when you arrive if that means you can avoid these charges. Knives are quite often available for sale behind bars along the Camino. :twisted:

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back