• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Replacement Recos?

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 - Camino Frances
2019 - Camino Portugues
Looking to replace our packs for our upcoming Camino. Primary motivation is something lighter, especially for my wife. Currently I have Gregory Stout 35L at 1,550g (3.4 pounds) and my wife has Gregory Amber 34L at 1,450g (3.2 pounds). Size and feature wise, both are perfect. Any suggestions / recommendations please? Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think your best bet is to go to an outdoor outfitter store with your wife, your existing Gregory packs, and a luggage scale. If you're in the States, REI is a good store. If in Canada, MEC or VPO. Elsewhere, not sure what stores.

They'll usually have weights they can load into packs and you can try on the packs in the store for fit and comfort and features. With your luggage scale you can see if the new packs weigh significantly less. Then you can judge if the weight savings are worth the changes to comfort, and the cost of the new packs.

Thanks. That may be our best bet. I find even the larger shops (MEC) favour one brand or have limited selection.
That's very true. In addition to the major brands like Osprey, Gregory, and Deuter there are many smaller manufacturers that make really good lightweight gear. Like Gossamer Gear, Zpacks, etc. Garage Grown Gear is a good website to find some of these smaller companies.

The problem is that you usually have to order them from their respective websites, which can get expensive if you have to pay return shipping for those that don't work out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks. That may be our best bet. I find even the larger shops (MEC) favour one brand or have limited selection.
Sounds like you are in Canada due to the MEC comment.

For ultralight gear, Geartrade.ca carries equipment from cottage brands like the ones Trecile listed above. They're in Okotoks, AB but of course they'll ship Canada-wide. Disadvantage is you can't try before you buy, though.

if you are carrying all the same gear, you'll still need a large pack.. and the difference between a regular pack and a lightweight one will be a few hundred grams max.

Edit: I acknowledge your pack is quite small already!

Sacrifices will include lower durability and fewer features (less compartments/padding/comfort) in the pack itself.

If you want to reduce your pack weight, first reduce what you need. And change your gear to lightweight. That can be costly and the gear might require more maintenance (more fragile, less durable, harder to wash or care for).

Classic example is a 1.2kg 3 season sleeping bag on Amazon for under €60, or an ultra lightweight goose down one of better quality costing €600 that weighs only 600g

Once you've changed your gear you'll realise the pack you need is much smaller (saving on weight), and then you can decide whether you should invest in a lightweight pack or just a smaller one.

Sounds like you are in Canada due to the MEC comment.

For ultralight gear, Geartrade.ca carries equipment from cottage brands like the ones Trecile listed above. They're in Okotoks, AB but of course they'll ship Canada-wide. Disadvantage is you can't try before you buy, though.
Super. Will check them out. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's very true. In addition to the major brands like Osprey, Gregory, and Deuter there are many smaller manufacturers that make really good lightweight gear. Like Gossamer Gear, Zpacks, etc. Garage Grown Gear is a good website to find some of these smaller companies.

The problem is that you usually have to order them from their respective websites, which can get expensive if you have to pay return shipping for those that don't work out.
Yeah, that’s the issue but thank you. I’ve been looking at Gossamer Gear.

Yeah, that’s the issue but thank you. I’ve been looking at Gossamer Gear.
Geartrade.ca carries a number of Gossamer Gear packs! :)

I have a Kumo 36 in the purple Vaporwave colourway and I really like it. It's super light - under 600g. But it definitely doesn't have as many features as your existing Gregory packs.

Last edited:
Six Moon Designs in the US has different packs and harnessing options (Straps vs vest closure), but unless you're willing to order it and try it, I can't say if you'll like it better. I ended up with a 5/11 Tactical light pack because I liked its fit and features better. I found the REI Gregory pack I first ordered cut into my shoulders, so returned it.

Honestly, if you all really need to reduce weight , you'll probably be better off carrying less in a pack that already works for you. I ended up leaving behind a variety of backup gear and toiletries on the Primitivo last year, because it was too heavy or because I ended up not needing it. Unfortunately, I'd already trashed my body by that point.

The only backup items I might have needed, and did carry all the way, were prescription meds and a second set of prescription glasses. Solid soap pieces were lighter even than airline liquid shampoo. Silk sleep sack vs quilt/bag ( I traveled in September). Light packable puffer vs heavy fleece. Zip off quick dry pants. You get the idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
if you are carrying all the same gear, you'll still need a large pack.. and the difference between a regular pack and a lightweight one will be a few hundred grams max.

Edit: I acknowledge your pack is quite small already!

Sacrifices will include lower durability and fewer features (less compartments/padding/comfort) in the pack itself.

If you want to reduce your pack weight, first reduce what you need. And change your gear to lightweight. That can be costly and the gear might require more maintenance (more fragile, less durable, harder to wash or care for).

Classic example is a 1.2kg 3 season sleeping bag on Amazon for under €60, or an ultra lightweight goose down one of better quality costing €600 that weighs only 600g

Once you've changed your gear you'll realise the pack you need is much smaller (saving on weight), and then you can decide whether you should invest in a lightweight pack or just a smaller one.
Good advice. Thank you.

Looking to replace our packs for our upcoming Camino. Primary motivation is something lighter, especially for my wife. Currently I have Gregory Stout 35L at 1,550g (3.4 pounds) and my wife has Gregory Amber 34L at 1,450g (3.2 pounds). Size and feature wise, both are perfect. Any suggestions / recommendations please? Thank you.
Have a look at the AARN packs. I’ve walked three Caminos with mine and have found them to be great — light weight, durable, and well designed. I have two versions — a Mountain Magic (~ 35 liters) and a smaller 22 liter day pack similar to the one shown below that I walked with last year. (When I past 75 years of age I cut the 10% rule in half and started shipping a small duffle forward every day).

A key advantage to most AARN designs is that you can distribute weight front and back with the pouches they hang from shoulder straps. E.g., the pouches on the pack below will each hold a 750 ml water bottle.

Last edited:
My husband and I both use a hyperlite. I switched from the Gregory to the hyperlite to save oz. and it worked beautifully last year as I walked from Cahors, France to Pamplona.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've had good luck with the GG Kumo36 on local hikes, carrying about 12-15 pounds for training. My Camino pack is a Zpack Nero 38 made from DCF. The pack weighs 11 ounces, is waterproof and can comfortably carry 18-20 pounds. Used this on the Frances, Portuguese and Via de la Plata so far.

If she wants to stick with her Gregory. It appears that the current aka newer (on their website) Amber 34 is now 2.8 lbs. That's a bit of a shaving off the one she has. Also the Gregory Jade 33 is 2.75 lbs.

I get it. I have 3 Gregory packs myself. 2 trail running ones and the Amber 70 for backpacking. I think they are some of the best fit packs I've tried. I just hope since I bought my Amber they have fixed the water bottle pocket situation. Because my pack, it is nearly impossible to get a water bottle out of the pocket while the pack is on my back and I hate that using a water bladder is the only option. I like having choices. That being said, I think my REI Traverse 35 is fantastic and you CAN get water bottles out easily. Maybe she might enjoy an REI pack as well. Also going to REI for a proper fit is a wonderful experience. Last time I went to look at packs I ended up dancing with the sales associate. We had fun! :D (Testing for the pack to be well fitted and stable on my body.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have a look at the AARN packs. I’ve walked three Caminos with mine and have found them to be great — light weight, durable, and well designed. I have two versions — a Mountain Magic (~ 35 liters) and a smaller 22 liter day pack similar to the one shown below that I walked with last year. (When I past 75 years of age I cut the 10% rule in half and started shipping a small duffle forward every day).

A key advantage to most AARN designs is that you can distribute weight front and back with the pouches they hang from shoulder straps. E.g., the pouches on the pack below will each hold a 750 ml water bottle.

Thank you. Good option to look at.

If she wants to stick with her Gregory. It appears that the current aka newer (on their website) Amber 34 is now 2.8 lbs. That's a bit of a shaving off the one she has. Also the Gregory Jade 33 is 2.75 lbs.

I get it. I have 3 Gregory packs myself. 2 trail running ones and the Amber 70 for backpacking. I think they are some of the best fit packs I've tried. I just hope since I bought my Amber they have fixed the water bottle pocket situation. Because my pack, it is nearly impossible to get a water bottle out of the pocket while the pack is on my back and I hate that using a water bladder is the only option. I like having choices. That being said, I think my REI Traverse 35 is fantastic and you CAN get water bottles out easily. Maybe she might enjoy an REI pack as well. Also going to REI for a proper fit is a wonderful experience. Last time I went to look at packs I ended up dancing with the sales associate. We had fun! :D (Testing for the pack to be well fitted and stable on my body.)
Super and thank you. Very helpful.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've had good luck with the GG Kumo36 on local hikes, carrying about 12-15 pounds for training. My Camino pack is a Zpack Nero 38 made from DCF. The pack weighs 11 ounces, is waterproof and can comfortably carry 18-20 pounds. Used this on the Frances, Portuguese and Via de la Plata so far.
Another great option. Thank you.

Six Moon Designs in the US has different packs and harnessing options (Straps vs vest closure), but unless you're willing to order it and try it, I can't say if you'll like it better. I ended up with a 5/11 Tactical light pack because I liked its fit and features better. I found the REI Gregory pack I first ordered cut into my shoulders, so returned it.

Honestly, if you all really need to reduce weight , you'll probably be better off carrying less in a pack that already works for you. I ended up leaving behind a variety of backup gear and toiletries on the Primitivo last year, because it was too heavy or because I ended up not needing it. Unfortunately, I'd already trashed my body by that point.

The only backup items I might have needed, and did carry all the way, were prescription meds and a second set of prescription glasses. Solid soap pieces were lighter even than airline liquid shampoo. Silk sleep sack vs quilt/bag ( I traveled in September). Light packable puffer vs heavy fleece. Zip off quick dry pants. You get the idea.
Great information, thank you.

Geartrade.ca carries a number of Gossamer Gear packs! :)

I have a Kumo 36 in the purple Vaporwave colourway and I really like it. It's super light - under 600g. But it definitely doesn't have as many features as your existing Gregory packs.
Always an option. Thanks.

My son has used an ultralite "Ula" brand, Circuit model backpack for at least five Caminos and it still looks new with no wear spots on the fabric and has no fading from the sun. My pack I've used on Caminos for the last seven years is an Osprey Sirrus 36L woman specific model. Although I like it and its size is perfect, the inner mesh on the waist belt has frayed a bit and its turquoise color is fading.

I am also a lover of Gregory but just today I returned my new Gregory Jade 33 and got an REI Traverse 32. I loved everything about the Jade until it was fully loaded - then the shoulder straps started digging into my body. I thought “It just needs to be fitted; I’ll pay a visit to REI.” Turns out it wasn’t the fitting, it was the fit. Once I put on the Traverse, I knew it was the bag for me. (I will miss the ability to fully open the pack from the outside, but the side zip of the Traverse will do).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Osprey Stratus 34L weighs like 3 lbs and is my go to. I like Osprey because when they break they send me a new one for free (well I pay for shipping to them). I am a bit of a fanboy. They last about 5-7 caminos.
I second this recommend! On my second Stratus and my wife has the women's specific Sirrus

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.