Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack transport on the Invierno?

robinflight

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago, Sept-Oct. 2013
Hola fellow pilgrims. My friend and I are doing the Camino de Invierno. Despite our precautions and constant hydrating, I ended up with pretty intense heatstroke yesterday. We’d like to have our backpacks sent ahead on a couple of the etapas so we don’t walk so slowly and stay exposed to so much sun. On this route there is less pilgrim infrastructure and often not much shade (so far). Does anyone know if pack service is available?

Thank you. Espero que tu camino vaya muy bien!

Robin
(completed the Camino Frances in 2013)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola fellow pilgrims. My friend and I are doing the Camino de Invierno. Despite our precautions and constant hydrating, I ended up with pretty intense heatstroke yesterday. We’d like to have our backpacks sent ahead on a couple of the etapas so we don’t walk so slowly and stay exposed to so much sun. On this route there is less pilgrim infrastructure and often not much shade (so far). Does anyone know if pack service is available?

Thank you. Espero que tu camino vaya muy bien!

Robin
(completed the Camino Frances in 2013)
Hello, Robin,

There isn't any backpack transport service on Invierno that I know of although after Lalin (A Laxe) Spanish Post (Correos) do it but it's just for two or three days to Santiago.
Maybe it's best to ask locals if they have some business at your destination and refund them with small sum.
Or simply call a taxi for your backpack.

But walking faster to avoid exposure to sun? If you walk faster you warm yourself even more because of the activity so what you gain here I don't understand ;)

Buen Camino!

Correos offers mochila transportation on the Camino Sanabrés - so that's an option for the last couple of days from A Laxe onwards, but if you make it there, you'll make it anywhere (as the song says):

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think you best bet would be to ask at any bar that is open, to see if anyone is willing to transport your packs. I doubt there is anything organised.

Hola Robin
There's nothing organized.
But a few werks ago I met 3 guys from Barcelona who were walking with very little on their backs, each sending a suitcase ahead. I have no idea how they were arranging that, but just so you know that it is possible. This was before Monforte - I didn't see them after that.
I would guess they used a taxi.
Buen (safe and healthy) camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much! We have found transport from a Rua to Quiroga. The Hostal Mayo in O Barco had a business card of someone offering transport. Maybe that’s enough to help us regain our strength. Thank you for the suggestions. Will do correos or ask in bars if we need to in the upcoming towns. As for walking faster, we both struggled so much with the heat that we were really really slow. We are taking a rest day but we want a break from our packs. Gracias a todos. My heart is full knowing others share this journey, on one path or another.

Do you have any redundant items in the packs? Perhaps you could send a box of dead weight to Ivar to pick up when you get to SDC?

we both struggled so much with the heat that we were really really slow.
Take care, Robin!
You might also consider early starts and short stages for the next bit after Quiroga:
Barxa do Lor (Pension Pacita)
Monforte
Fion (Torre Vilariño)
Chantada

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you so much! We have found transport from a Rua to Quiroga. The Hostal Mayo in O Barco had a business card of someone offering transport. Maybe that’s enough to help us regain our strength. Thank you for the suggestions. Will do correos or ask in bars if we need to in the upcoming towns. As for walking faster, we both struggled so much with the heat that we were really really slow. We are taking a rest day but we want a break from our packs. Gracias a todos. My heart is full knowing others share this journey, on one path or another.
Be careful with the heat. One bag of Suer Oral powder (every Farmacia sell it) in the morning will give you enough electrolytes for the whole day.

Oficina de Correos offer the best service on the Camino when you are in Galicia..I've used before on occasions from A Rua onwards and it's always an excellent,cheap & reliable service...Many of places you stay at can do it too if you ask especially in Spanish or Galician as most small businesses here don't speak much English. They use their own transport or get local taxi driver to do it..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back