• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks in unusual places

Iverness

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid ( June 2015)
I know there are many questions about backpacks. I thought I'd post my experience here to help anyone who is in a similar situation as I was.
I am 5'2"
Small framed
About 108 lbs
As a smaller sized woman I had a really hard time finding a pack that distributed the weight on my hips correctly. Everyone kept wanting to put me in a woman's pack. After literally trying on 40 ill-fitting women's packs at the behest of qualified fitters, and on the verge of tears and despair, ok, maybe not that dramatic, but I was almost ready to give up finding a pack that fit well, didn't dig into my shoulders and didn't pull me over like a gorilla on my back, I decided to go out on my own.

With the help of my better half I finally found a pack that fit like a glove. A Sitka bow/hunting pack!!
It is a 20 litre pack that fits all my stuff plus some and fits beautifully.

So if you are a smallish woman that has struggled with the conventional- should fit you- because it's a girl-pack, go ahead and venture into the guys' department, and even the hunting pack department. You might find just what you are looking for!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, it's strange how these things work. Good for you for finding a pack that fits right. A few years ago I was searching high and low for a bike that didn't produce discomfort in my neck and shoulders after a few miles in the saddle; even with handlebar and post adjustments, nothing was right. Finally, one bike store employee suggested I try a men's frame (large size). I did, it worked, I bought it, and have never looked back. The bike store employee told me that for some reason, a men's large frame works for some women (I'm just shy of 5' 8").

I concur. My wife, with a similar, very athletic, build, ended up with a "man's" Osprey Stratos 24. She loved it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It goes to show that sometimes there isn't that much difference between the sexes after all :)
I was getting frustrated because no salesperson would show me anything else! They kept saying that since I was petite that these were the only packs that would work- I'm glad that the salesperson didn't do that to you Icacos.

Jo Jo, that seems to make sense- I'm glad she found her pack, makes life so much easier. I was worried because the packs I tried made the weight feel so heavy- and I'm not a weak person, so it was discouraging. I thought, "This trip is going to be reallllly tiring!!!" glad to have a pack that makes that thought disappear :)

Another woman here that walks with a man's back pack :) and sometimes even with men's hiking clothes :eek:
Buen Camino! SY

Sy,
Oh the travesty of it? And how, might one ask, do you maintain your femininity? Without a splash of pink or a hint of purple isn't it impossible to tell you are a woman?! ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lol, sometimes I thought they might call me the Grey Lady on the Camino because of the rather subdued colours of my clothes :eek: Femininity is an inside thing - and having rather long hair also helps - besides other bodily attributes ... SY

He he... I prefer subdued colors as well. Although bright colored socks are another story!

I have a 'man's' pack because I have a long body(but short legs) and it seems that the designers of packs think that females have shorter bodies than men.I have a deuter 32l pack ,it's great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a 'man's' pack because I have a long body(but short legs) and it seems that the designers of packs think that females have shorter bodies than men.I have a deuter 32l pack ,it's great.

I really found this to be a good pack too! I tried it on. The only thing that was the deciding factor between this and the Sitka was the air ventilation in the back. The Sitka had a mesh that kept the air circulation going, whereas the Deuter didn't. I really liked it other than that!

I am a woman but unfortunately my problem is that I am quite overweight which makes getting a regular backpack to fit well a challenge. Pretty sure they don't make plus sized backpacks or if they do I haven't found them. Any I tried on were super tight even with all straps extended and the hipbelt pockets were on my backside and totally inaccessible. I am hoping to avoid this by using an ultralight backpack (Gorilla) by gossamer gear. They are reputed to be extremely comfortable and well balanced and contain a lightweight but effective removable stay to help transfer the pack weight to the hip belt. The nice thing about these packs for me anyway is that the hip belt is sold separately so I can buy a medium pack with an extra large hip belt for a perfect fit. These packs carry close to the body so no nice trampoline for airflow but the upside is that they use what is called a sitlight pad in a pocket that is easy to remove for a convenient sit pad and also provides a level of comfortable cushioning between the pack and your back. After several years of pondering and watching closely for anyone who DOESN'T like them (and why) I haven't yet found any significant complaints but plenty of glowing reviews so I've decided to take the plunge. They are super light, the gorilla for instance is only 737g and tough enough for the most active trek in the wilds but light enough I think for the camino. Speaking of backpacks in unusual places these are only available online but their return policy is generous and I understand their customer support is outstanding. The only downside is that I have to order without trying it on but it is what it is and that's what I have to live with and hope for the best. If all the reports are true I am hopeful this pack will work for me.

He he... I prefer subdued colors as well. Although bright colored socks are another story!
No personal problem about preferences here but in the wilderness (e.g.less traveled routes) it's better to have at least one larger item of brighter color. If anything (hope not) happen it's much easier for rescuers to find you.

Ultreia!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mysticl, that is such a great idea! It reminds me of the bathing suits with different tops and bottoms to fit each person. Has it arrived through the mail yet? You'll have to let us know how it fits and feels. I was looking at the ultralight packs myself but wasn't as brave when it came to not trying it out in person.

Thanks Kinkyone. That is good advice and something I didn't thoroughly consider. I was going through things to pack and went through my running gear. Since I have things for summer that are long sleeved yet wicking and lightweight I thought I'd take those for my tops instead of buying new- they just happen to be orange because I usually run at night. So they will definitely go along now :)

Sitka makes great gear, I have a hat and some gloves from them.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.