• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks with sidepockets

ankber

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances SJDPP - Burgos 2013
camino frances Burgos - Leon 2014
camino frances Leon - Santiago 2015
camino frances SJDPP - Santiago 2016
camino primitivo 2017
Hello
I'm looking for a new backpack but I want one with side pockets and it seems they are hard to find. The one I have, a "Ferrino Durance 40", is ok but those side pockets take space from the inside so the more I but in them the smaller the space is inside the backpack.
Does anyone have a suggestion of another one that has the side pockets on the outside with their own space?
I've been looking at "Kelty Women's Redwing", anyone know how those pockets work?

regards
Annika

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Adding pockets and/or zippers increases the weight of the actual pack.
It is often a choice you have to make regarding the balance between the "dead weight" of the pack and the convenience of the pockets.
Not always an easy decision.

While I am not familiar with every backpack (!), in general the side pockets are elastic pouches suitable for things like water bottles and rain gear. Actual side pockets do tend to intrude into the interior space. If you do not need the security of actual zipping side pockets, then y0u have myriad packs to choose from. There are add-on pockets that attach to the ladders on packs, but they usually are designed for the back of the pack, not the side. Good luck looking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might want to look at Berghaus. Our side pockets expanded outwards so did not overly affect the internal pocket.
The Berghaus Freeeflow 40 was good for Terry. I had a 25+5 which is discontinued (and Terry carried my sleeping bag).
The only link I could find was at Cotswold UK, but the info is all there.

Hello
I'm looking for a new backpack but I want one with side pockets and it seems they are hard to find. The one I have, a "Ferrino Durance 40", is ok but those side pockets take space from the inside so the more I but in them the smaller the space is inside the backpack.
Does anyone have a suggestion of another one that has the side pockets on the outside with their own space?
I've been looking at "Kelty Women's Redwing", anyone know how those pockets work?

regards
Annika
Why not hand sew some on as I did. You can decide on the size , type, position etc. This can also be done at the back for shoes etc. Works of art are not required!!

Vaude, Osprey, Deuter are brands I know. Many of their backpacks have elastic pouches at their sides which do not increase the weight of the backpack at all. If the purpose of having side pockets is to carry a bottle of water, then go for it. It is very practical if you have a quick access to your bottle than if you have to unload your backpack to search for it. good luck

Deuter make external side pockets that attach to the compression straps on the sides of their packs, and presumably they can be used on any pack with similar compression strap arrangements. They will add about 10 li to the pack volume and about 220 gm to the pack weight.

Adding pockets and/or zippers increases the weight of the actual pack.
It is often a choice you have to make regarding the balance between the "dead weight" of the pack and the convenience of the pockets.
Not always an easy decision.
Hello

regards
Annika
Annika, I walked with the Osprey Kyte womens pack - mine was 46L, and they also come in 36L. I chose the pack because it came in an extra small back length, and I was having trouble finding anything that would fit me (I am 5'2"). It has elastic sidepockets, which are pretty deep, and I placed my water bottles, and sometimes my hat in them. They were pretty secure, so I didn't worry about losing anything, and they didn't impact the inside room. My pack also has two small zip pockets on the sides of the waistbelt, where I put my phone (you have to have a small phone - mine is Iphone 5s, but I don't think a 6/7 would fit), lip balm, kleenex, etc. that I would want handy. I could have walked easily with the 36L, but the place I was looking at had the 46L, but not the 36L at the time, and I wanted a pack that I could later use on longer hiking trips in the States. I just didn't fully load it.

One thing I loved about it was that the bottom pocket, where the pack cover is stored, is big enough for your extra shoes, or sleeping bag, or dirty laundry. The upper part of the pack above that bottom pocket has a "false bottom" so you could open the bottom pocket, and reach through to the things stored in the "bottom" of the packet without digging everything else out. Good luck with your search!

I use the Osprey Exos 46L (for three years' walking so far, and a fourth coming up) that is both lightweight and has side pockets. Osprey has their compression straps rigged with a couple options regarding the side pockets, so it's a very flexible arrangement.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughter and I walked a week in Scotland. I used the Osprey Stratos 35L and she the women version Sirrus 36L. We were both very happy with our packs both for comfort and size. She is 5' 5" and used the ladies M/L size, fit was very good with lots of adjustment. Size was reasonable as we wore most of our heavy clothing during the endless rain showers during the week. I'm going to be walking the French route in late April/May and will be able to keep pack weight to under 15lbs.

I used the Osprey Kestrel 36L pack & was really happy with it. It has useful pockets on the hip belt, reachable pockets on the sides for water bottles, a built-in rain cover and the pack is a great size. It has a space for a water bladder but I preferred to use water bottles. Fully packed it weighed around 6.5kg before any water.

I was looking at the Altus website the other day, finding stockists of their poncho, and out of curiosity had a look at their packs. Altus is the big Spanish manufacturer of hiking equipment, and supplier to the Spanish armed forces. Its "trekking tech" packs seem to have the side pockets you want, and are certainly good value. Here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actual side pockets do tend to intrude into the interior space.
It might be possible to perceive that side pockets intrude into the interior space of an empty pack; however, I think it is prudent to load a pack and try it on before purchasing. You need to know how hit fits your body. I think the side pocket issue will resolve itself quickly.

There are add-on pockets that attach to the ladders on packs, but they usually are designed for the back of the pack, not the side. Good luck looking!
Quite on the contrary as I know. Usually backpacks (at least all of climbing/high mountains packs) have side straps and pockets are added to the side using those straps. On the back there are straps and space for ice picks and similar. I guess you are referring to usual travellers backpacks?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello

regards
Annika
Hola, Annika,

If you won't find backpack with side pockets that suits you then maybe look at Aarn packs: http://www.aarnpacks.com/ Don't know where they're sold in EU (they are from New Zealand) but they seems pretty much the best to me regarding accessibility and weight distribution (better balance while walking). I just tried one of them this year in albergue so can't really advise you about long distance walking with them but the owner was very pleased with his.

Hi Annika @ankber
Specifically on the Kelty Redwing, I wore a men's Redwing 50 and the pockets were very good and versatile. As I look at the Kelty photos, the Women's Redwing 40 may have slightly different styling than the 50 -- or it may just be a model year difference. The 40 is more than big enough

There are two top longer pockets -- one on each side and the pockets are stitched to the pack at the seams on the sides -- meaning you can slide something behind the pocket (between the pack and the pocket) like a loaf of bread or hiking poles or a small tripod. Check the size when you visit your store, it will be smaller in the 40. These pockets zip securely and the zipper loops can have the top /side snugging strap fed through them to slow down any nu-intended access (like on a train or crowded bus by pickpockets).

The lower pocket on each side is a lighter weight fabric mesh -- with soft items in the pocket it wears well, Ihad some camera gear in one of the pockets and rubbed a small hole by Leon. Not major, but I would expect that. A water bottle would fit fine and probably not wear a hole. On the 50 size pack, these pockets have a loop at the top middle that the snugging straps on the bottom can be fed through. As I look at the photos of the 40 online, I'm not sure the snugging straps are the same design as the 50.

The front pocket is divided like a messenger bag or briefcase, with pockets for pens, and lined pockets to protect tablets or smart phone screens.

There is also a top pocket that makes it convenient to keep things you want quickly, but don't want to open your main pack. I put rain gear and cold weather gear there

Of the side pockets, I could only access the lower side mesh pockets while walking. I'm not enough of a contortionist to get into the top side pockets, but access is otherwise easy.

Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perhaps check out Gossamer Gear, Montbell, and Marmot.

Vaude, Osprey, Deuter are brands I know. Many of their backpacks have elastic pouches at their sides which do not increase the weight of the backpack at all. If the purpose of having side pockets is to carry a bottle of water, then go for it. It is very practical if you have a quick access to your bottle than if you have to unload your backpack to search for it. good luck

Do you keep water bottles in your side pocket? Have you figured out a way to get them in and out without taking off our pack? I can pull them out, but I haven't figured out how to get them back in, between the tight elastic and lack of reach to get teh angle right. I look like a doofus trying!

I would like to echo KinkyOne. Consider looking into the Aarn packs. I've done several caminos and for the last couple (Chemin La Puy and del Norte/Primitivo), I've carried an Aarn pack. Because they have pockets in the front for both gear and net pockets for bottles, they do take some getting used to, but the balance of weigh, convenience to access water, phone, snacks, etc. and comfort are great. I looked into them initially because I have occasional back problems and the Aarn pack distributes the weight so you have an erect more natural stance. I'll be using it again when I walk the Via de la Plata. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.