• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

baggage on a cart?

henmajvik

Has anyone got any experience about walking the Camino with your equipment on a small cart which you pull from a padded hip-belt? If you get one balanced well enough and one with wheels that roll easily it should be a good way to ease the load on yorself for most of the way. Of course there are some parts where the track is stony and where a cart would not be the best thing, but I think it could be a way of reducing the wear and tear on your knees on a big part of the Camino.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Year of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Carts and wagons and wheelie-bags are an ongoing parade, at least on the Frances. Some of them are fabulous inventions. I oughtta start shooting pictures for a coffee-table book (for a somewhat arcane and limited audience, I imagine..)

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
I coincided with a German couple who were walking in the south of France and some of Spain last year using a cart. I think they found it a practical way of coping with some back problem issues. The man also carried a spare tube etc and a puncture repair kit which I did see him using. But it was one extra thing to clean the mud off in some of the conditions we walked in as we approached the Pyrenees!
Margaret

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Listed in my signature
Here's a pic of a pilgrim pulling a cart...

Attachments

• IMG_0989 pilgrim pulling pack (Small).JPG
    IMG_0989 pilgrim pulling pack (Small).JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 682

annakappa

Veteran Member
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
We saw a Scandinavian couple in El Acebo with a small year old child in a cart with a harness attached to the father who pulled it along. The comment from my sister-in-law was that she hoped that the baby didn't suffer from motion sickness, as it swayed to and fro! Anyway the child seemed happy enough!
We also saw a man (German)? pulling a homemade attraption, which honoustly didn't look like it would make it all the way to Santiago -( we were about 3 weeks walk away then).
Anne

sillydoll

Veteran Member
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
One of the dozens of pilgrims Rob Ward describes in his camino book (All the good Pilgrims) is a woman who walked from France with a buggy.
It must be jolly difficult son some of the muddy, stony, rutted paths but many seem to manage.

CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I thought I posted on this yesterday but don't see it.

We saw a few people attempting to walk with various types of carts.
All seemed to me to be more trouble than they were worth.
The trails can be steep, rough, pitted, rocky, muddy and anywhere from extremely narrow to being forced to walk on VERY busy roadways which aren't wide enough for a human, much less a cart!

I personally would not attempt it... but I guess some are successful.
Maybe I"m a wimp :)

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
You might want to read Walk to Jerusalem by Gerard Hughes. Fr Gerry walks from Scotland to Jerusalem (or at least most of the way) with a handcart. It's an extremely good book about a particular pilgrimage. My reflection from it in terms of carts vs rucksacks is to go for a rucksack if possible!

Andy