• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage Transport VdlP

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Time of past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
Does anyone know how to have bags transported on the Via de la Plata, from Zamora to S de C ?
Tried Correos does not cover that section
thanks so much

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much to both of you...I'm not sure if bus service these days (terrorists) would carry unaccompanied baggage (but very good suggestion) ...has anyone done that recently? I will admit to not knowing my way entirely around the VdlP, but if Im reading the map right Musicman wants to start two steps before the VdlP turns into the Sanabres...(would that also be the Camino Mozarabe??? need coffee)....but I could be entirely wrong. Hopefully he will chime in here (while Smallest Sparrow wanders off to try to get a better map...and her morning coffeeo_O)

Thanks for helping me orient myself o_O
My day usually starts at 5, feeding the cats, then the birds, then turn on all of their fountains, make sure the lizards have water, then walk down the hill to make sure the deer still have water....THEN email and coffee. :) while I keep an eye on the feeders to make sure everyone plays nice
my sister laughs at me trying to enforce a peaceful kingdom where so many of the inhabitants want to eat each other :eek:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SYates mentioned on another thread that one may need to look for local services advertised once there, or a cab may be able to provide the service (great suggestions). I hope this helps with planning...not as nice as a one stop service, but it may be the best it is going to be....
Buen Camino

Correos claim to cover the Sanabres from Zamora to SdC http://elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/camino.php?c=camino-sanabrs&_ga=1.135026609.1232865762.1474555036 which, as far as I know is the continuation of the VdlP from Zamora.

5 minutes on Google revealed the amazing business opportunity available for an enterprising soul who wanted to spend the rest of their days driving like the clappers up and down the E803.

Correos will expand their network with sufficient demand.
I think the problem is that there simply aren't enough of us (fool)hardy souls who are addicted to the Plata/Levante/Sanabrés. 3.5% of all pilgrims last year are described as having done the VdlP, a significant number of whom only started in Ourense. The rest of us are probably used to humping our own packs, especially as, for example, one of the earlier stages a few days south of Salamanca, if not broken by a detour, has one house (with tap and fierce dog) and a ruined Roman triumphal arch and no other human habitation in 40km.

well, if any of you "foolhardy' Plata addicts are walking or will be walking the stretch between Zamora and where it meets/becomes Sanabres and happen to notice those posted "will transport bags" signs...and happen to think of those who want to walk but can't manage the bags, please come back and post, thanks :)
and thanks again for all the great suggestions

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually, I don't recall seeing anything posted or advertised on the Sanabres. I don't really notice these things unless they become posted everywhere like graffiti. The CF and Norte come to mind.

There was a lot of pilgrim traffic after the 100km mark at Ourense so something may be available at that point.

The Via de la Plata goes from Sevilla to Astorga (might actually go to Leon) The Sanabres is a variation that splits at Granja de Moreruela and goes to Santiago via Ourense.

It seems more pilgrims take the Sanabres alternative.

We have walked from Seville toCaceres, then last year,Caceres toZamora - carrying our packs!
Health problems dictate the need for luggage transport ontheSanabres,fromZamora , via Granna de, toS de C.

I have tried Correos - no joy.

Thanks for some of your help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sorry for those health issues, and hope they improve.

Anyone who cares how much or how little anyone else is carrying has (IMHO) too much spare energy and should be walking further and carrying more, IMHOo_O (why do I hear my mother's voice in my head?) . One way to increase that load would be offering to carry the pack of those who are using a bag transport service. On more than one march in my life, I've carried my pack and that of a fellow airman or soldier who could no longer go on carrying theirs, until we reached our pickup point. The favor was paid back, when I became hypothermic a half-mile from camp one winter, and a sergeant wrestled my pack off of me (no small feat in itself:eek:) fearing I'd not make it that half-mile (probably true).

I hope once you arrive at your starting point you can sort out transport (local service, bus, taxi,???)...please let us know what worked, a lot of people are viewing this thread, which implies others want to know....

M
We have walked from Seville toCaceres, then last year,Caceres toZamora - carrying our packs!
Health problems dictate the need for luggage transport ontheSanabres,fromZamora , via Granna de, toS de C.

I have tried Correos - no joy.

Thanks for some of your help!
Musicman do you mean you accessed the Correos service and didn't like it or the service wasn't available?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Correos doesn't cover the entire VdlP, it does cover Sanabres but nothing south of that. If I am oriented...still dizzy from the name changeso_O

Mochilatrans does service from Fuenterroble de Salvatierra on VdlP and all the way to Santiago on Sanabres:
http://www.mochilatrans.com/
https://twitter.com/mochilaviaplata/status/601822659471609856

Some other Caminos:
http://www.caminodesantiagoreservas.com/establecimiento.asp?i=19
http://caminofacil.net/

Sanabres:
Correos covers the route from A Gudina: "Realizamos este servicio en el Camino Francés desde Roncesvalles, en el Camino Portugués desde Tui, en el Camino Primitivo desde Oviedo, en el Camino del Norte desde Gijón y Avilés, en el Camino Inglés desde Ferrol y A Coruña, en el Camino Sanabrés desde A Gudiña y en el Camino a Fisterra." (http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/es/transporte-mochilas.php)

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back