• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Be aware of your surroundings

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! I am walking El Camino Portugues from Tui to Santiago de C. I was having coffee this morning in Oporriño with fellow pilgrims. My friend's cellphone was stolen from the table with a 40 second window of opportunity. Be aware of your stuff.

For anyone losing a mobile phone, if on a contract, contact the provider immediately (within 24 hours) and the phone can be blocked and rendered useless. So, have those contact details to hand!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Grattitude: Thanks for this reminder. It happens more than we know and my wife & I have been tested, but never lost anything ..... yet?? We have friends :eek: who have, even though they are experienced travelers,

For anyone losing a mobile phone, if on a contract, contact the provider immediately (within 24 hours) and the phone can be blocked and rendered useless. So, have those contact details to hand!
Be sure that your phone is locked when you leave your house where ever you are . When they steel it they can use it , easy . No need to contact your provider ,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Grattitude: Thanks for this reminder. It happens more than we know and my wife & I have been tested, but never lost anything ..... yet?? We have friends :eek: who have, even though they are experienced travelers,
It can happen everywhere . It has nothing to do even when you are a experienced
traveler .
When you think different , I would say welcome to the real world .

Hi! I am walking El Camino Portugues from Tui to Santiago de C. I was going to having coffee this morning in Oporriño with fellow pilgrims. My friend's cellphone was stolen from the table with a 40 second window of opportunity. Be aware of your stuff.
Hi, me and 4 friends will be walking this route in September. Thank you for the warning. I hope the remainder of your Camino will be incident free. Buen Camino

A place for everything, and everything in its place. My iPhone is either in my hand, or in my zipped pants pocket. Not the table, the bar, in my pack, on a chair, or my shirt pocket. While it is possible that it can be stolen by a wily thief, I think they will go for the phone that is sitting on a table.

I pity those who do not wear pants with many pockets! I know it breaks up the sleek line of one's thighs, but pockets are handy. Ditto shirts. I will settle for shirts with two closing pockets, but prefer at least three. Again, I know it breaks up the contour of my six-pack abs, by utility wins over style.

:):)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A place for everything, and everything in its place. My iPhone is either in my hand, or in my zipped pants pocket. Not the table, the bar, in my pack, on a chair, or my shirt pocket. While it is possible that it can be stolen by a wily thief, I think they will go for the phone that is sitting on a table.

I pity those who do not wear pants with many pockets! I know it breaks up the sleek line of one's thighs, but pockets are handy. Ditto shirts. I will settle for shirts with two closing pockets, but prefer at least three. Again, I know it breaks up the contour of my six-pack abs, by utility wins over style.

Agree...you should see how my pants look when on Camino... can't upload a darn picture to this forum. ..

I second Ingrid's comments. My iPhone rides in a Loksak HD plastic ziplock in a pants pocket. I always recommend NOT carrying a special purpose case for any expensive item (Camera or phone) that screams - steal me!

In my case, my 'loaded' pants are so heavy that I actually had to devise a method to suspend my pants from my rucksack hip-belt (supported by the shoulder harness) so my pants do not fall down...YIKES!

I figured it out, using plastic belt retainer clips with open top "hooks" in which a belt tip is placed. I bought them online from a supplier of plastic web strap buckles and fittings, and large 1 3/16" diameter silicone hoops (#17 silicone washer rings) from my local DIY store (Home Depot plumbing aisles). These are the same silicone rings that I use to hold my water bottles onto my stainless steel bottle clips. So, one item does double-duty and spares go further...;)

The waist belt clip rides with the open end / hook UP. The pants belt clip is slotted on with the open hook DOWN.

Once the rucksack is on and tight, and both the upper and lower clips are aligned, I connect the silicone hoop over the two belt keepers and VOILA, my rucksack is holding up my pants....RESULT!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Now crime has gone too far!!
I am heartbroken that your sleek thighs and six pack abs will be hidden from my view as I walk my next Camino. However, watch out for pick pockets. A friend had his wallet stolen from a buttoned cargo pants pocket in Paris.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agree...you should see how my pants look when on Camino... can't upload a darn picture to this forum. ..
I had a completely wonderful time last year walking with Ingrid from Moratinos to Leon and I can tell you, Ingrid's got it ALL sorted - no one's going to get any of her gear! She could run classes on how to protect your stuff! Good on you Ingrid and xoxo from Oz.

I had a completely wonderful time last year walking with Ingrid from Moratinos to Leon and I can tell you, Ingrid's got it ALL sorted - no one's going to get any of her gear! She could run classes on how to protect your stuff! Good on you Ingrid and xoxo from Oz.
Ah Jenny nice to hear from you...you know your stuff

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
At the moment, these "sleek" pants are available only for men, but they have four zipping pockets, two slash pockets, and a "secret" pocket at about the coccyx. There is no convertible equivalent yet, but I am hoping. They are the most secure pants yet. One front pocket for passport and credential. One front pocket for phone. One rear pocket for wallet. The rest are up for grabs for me. The fabric is water repellent, so rain beads and runs off for a while, then, of course, you get soaked.;)

https://www.propper.com/mens/pants/stl-iii-pant.html

Someone tried that once with my laptop and only saw my mastiff when the table flew through the air, which was ironic as the terrified thief then dropped my laptop which smashed on the ground. Who's to blame? Me, my dog, or the thief?

Someone tried that once with my laptop and only saw my mastiff when the table flew through the air, which was ironic as the terrified thief then dropped my laptop which smashed on the ground. Who's to blame? Me, my dog, or the thief?
The table?;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How do you charge a phone in the evenings if you cant let it alone? :rolleyes:
I have a battery pack that charges the phone anytime.. can leave the battery unguarded to charge.. if someone takes it it's only cheap and is much less important than my phone.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The good the bad and the downright ugly are all on the camino not to mention the occasional angel. Mind you the devil is supposed to be a fallen angel so be aware of your surroundings and who is about.

Last edited:
My solution is a long charging cable. It means I can usually charge it overnight from my bed. The charging plug, bought cheaply in Spain, has two USB ports, so I’m not hogging the power outlet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.