• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs alert

I prefer to follow the old wisdom attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte ant it sounds as “Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst”.

So, that bleeding bedbugs will not prevent me to march but it is better to be well informed and prepared adequately. I think nobody even thinks about to cancel his camino because those bugs threat.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While Bed Bugs are a serious problem, might we not use strong insect, / mosquitos sprays / repellents to fend them off? Do any pilgrims have experiences using these repellents or seeing others use them?

We aren't trying to kill the Bed Bugs, just repel them.

The Wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin says that Permethrin is acceptable for human use in low doses, though one study said initially that it might cause Parkinson's Disease. That same study was then negated. Who knows.

Amazon.com won't ship the stuff to me in Canada. The message at

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP657-Perm ... B001ANQVYU

says

"We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address.

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

I wasn't asking that it be Gift Wrapped.

Wow everyone already the news of bed bugs...I have been lucky I think? Last year a young Canadian couple stayed at an Abergue that was Austrian she was bitten and had bed bugs her husband didn't. I was at the same place and had none. Eventually they were embarrassed and walked away further so no one saw them again. One way to be certain and this was a rule at the abergue in St. Jean Pied du Port is to lift the mattress up and check..bed bugs don't like the light and will scatter when the mattress is lifted up. This time around I was able to buy a container of Permethrin and will therefore spray my back pack and sleeping bag to ensure safety. Nevertheless everyone lets think positive and have a great Camino and enjoy the time.
Buen Camino,
n+

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On Permethrin not shipped to Canada that's true I was able to drive to Buffalo NY since only a short distance and Dick's Sporting Goods has it but you do take a chance if border guard checks and finds it :oops:

Please read my report & discussion I made in october 20111 here:
el-camino-frances/topic11763.html?hilit=bedbugs#p79065
If you will be in contact with many pilgrims, you will certainly meet someone who is/was bitten.
Bedbugs are a problem!
Recently I read in a Belgian newspaper how to remove them from your house because bedbugs are also back in Belgium. The only efficient way to remove the bugs and their eggs is to heat up all the rooms of your house at 60°C. Can you imagine? Electronic devices can only survive a temp. of 55°C.
So, if you are bitten, wash all your clothes, dry them at high temp and don't bring them at home.
Please google half a day on bedbugs (chinches en Español). You better be informed. I did it before my camino and it was necessary.

Just been reading about bedbug,s
have brought a sleeping bag that is anti bedbug proof
and a sheet that is anti bedbug proof is that enough or don,t they work
G T

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
grayland said:
Discussions of bed bugs always brings out fear and disgust by those about to start their first Camino. It really is not a big threat. You probably will "hear" about "someone" along the way but never experience anything yourself.
The time of year is one of the main factors.
Don't let the fear of the critters spoil your enjoyment of preparing for your Camino. Take simple precautions "just in case" but don't worry.

I hiked the Camino in the Spring last time and saw no Bed Bugs. I hike the entire month of May. this time I intend to hike in September. What will that time of year produce in Bed Bugs? I've just retired from being a flight attendant for DAL and only saw them a couple of times, but this time treated my equipment with Premethrim. I'm hoping that does the trick. Do you have an opinion on how Sept might be?

I got bed bugs (as did another couple) from Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo earlier this month. When i arrived at the albergue in Ruitelan the hospitalerio did not seem suprised at all...i rather got he impression that he was used to meeting pilgrims who had obtained the hitchikers from Villafranca.

I managed to get rid of them by buying an insecticide (that had bed bugs listed), hanging all my clothes, sleeping bag and backpack on a line outside and spraying everything to saturation point. I then washed everything. Didnt have any more problems!

I found that they particularly liked my fleece jacket...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
26 Jun 2012, 01:24
I got bed bugs (as did another couple) from Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo earlier this month. When i arrived at the albergue in Ruitelan the hospitalero did not seem surprised at all...i rather got he impression that he was used to meeting pilgrims who had obtained the hitchhikers from Villafranca.
The bed bugs are always out there, so you need to act accordingly. Even a report within a couple of days does not tell you where they will be the next day. They travel with pilgrims, so an albergue or hostal that does not have them today may have them tomorrow. Be prepared!

falcon269 said:
26 Jun 2012, 01:24
I got bed bugs (as did another couple) from Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo earlier this month. When i arrived at the albergue in Ruitelan the hospitalero did not seem surprised at all...i rather got he impression that he was used to meeting pilgrims who had obtained the hitchhikers from Villafranca.
The bed bugs are always out there, so you need to act accordingly. Even a report within a couple of days does not tell you where they will be the next day. They travel with pilgrims, so an albergue or hostal that does not have them today may have them tomorrow. Be prepared!
Can I get a bed bug sheet on the Camino? It is not available here. How much does it weigh?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One bed bug was reported in Iceland last year (Borg Hotel, Reykjavik), so it is not surprising that bed bug sheets are not widely sold!

I doubt you will find bed bug sheets on the camino. Generally, they are fitted sheets, rubberized, and heavy. You can treat your own sheet, any fabric, by spraying it with permethrin. Follow the label instructions, as it is toxic to humans in liquid form, and very hard on cats and fish in any form. Spray your sleeping bag and pack, too. Then stop worrying, and have fun. It makes no sense to ruin the experience with unnecessary worry. You have just as good a chance of encountering bed bugs in a New York luxury hotel as on the camino!

I bought a bed bug sheet but it's not fitted. Basically it's a treated mesh net you put down and is super light. I thought it was for mosquitos but it says 'bed bug sheet'... not sure how useful it will be since if not fitted it would just move in the night when I move. I have a feeling I'll probably end up ditching it along the way but at least it's light.

@JillHives-
I bought a length of mosquito netting, cut it to a slightly larger than twin bed size and treated it with permethrin. Then, as you did, I thought about the problem of keeping it on the bed! I've now sewn thin elastic straps across each of the four corners (if you think of the corner of the fabric as the outside of the capital letter A then the elastics form the cross bar). After I spread the sheet on the bed, I'll tuck the elastics under the corners of the mattress and cross my fingers and hope it keeps the critters off me! It was super easy to do--I did it with my sewing machine, but it could easily be done by hand. Added a small fraction of an ounce (don't remember exactly how much). Best of luck!
-Meg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear pilgrims,

We have accomplished our Camino Frances already. We started on April 30 from SJPDP, France and we came to Santiago on May 29. Fortunately we haven’t seen any bed bugs in the albergues we stayed in. So, just take that problem in consideration and be ready to cope with but this is no reason to be afraid of.

Sincerely,
Oleg

I was bit in villatuerta, room 4. I seem to be the only one that was but I saw several huge (some of the biggest i have seen) on the wall over my head which would indicate it has been an ongoing problem if they have had time to grow that much. I was in my treated sleep sack when I was bit.

vagabondette said:
I was bit in villatuerta, room 4. I was in my treated sleep sack when I was bit.
Poor girl :cry: Blasted buggers :evil:
Your report raises 3 multiple questions:
1) which albergue did you stay in and when?,
2) did you advise the owners/hospitaleros and what was their reaction?,
3) what kind of treatment had you given, when, to your sleep sack :?:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
fraluchi said:
vagabondette said:
I was bit in villatuerta, room 4. I was in my treated sleep sack when I was bit.
Poor girl :cry: Blasted buggers :evil:
Your report raises 3 multiple questions:
1) which albergue did you stay in and when?,
2) did you advise the owners/hospitaleros and what was their reaction?,
3) what kind of treatment had you given, when, to your sleep sack :?:

I was lucky-ish as I've encountered them before and happened to be awake so I could react immediately so I only got a couple bites.

In answer to your questions:

1- There is only one - la casa magica. It is otherwise highly recommended. I was there 3 nights ago.
2- I left a note on the bed as they were gone when I got bit and hadn't returned before I left.
3- I sprayed it with premerthin ( or however you spell it) less than 2 weeks ago.

Hi fellow menbers. I follow this forum now for about three years and have read a lot about bed bugs. It seems to be a collective obsession. I was warned. But when I started my camino last year, from Vézelay to Fisterra, I forgot all about bed bugs and that was fine. I slept in all kind of albergo's and have not seen any. Maybe because I walked the Norte. The Frances, with so many pilgrim, may be different.

Yes, it seems the Frances is the problem. I walked the Ingles without problem. Then, on the spur of the moment added the Fisterra. I hadn't treated my kit as there were no reported problems on Ingles. So I got what I deserved when I was bitten in the muni in Olviera. While waiting for my certificate in Fisterra muni they discovered bugs there as well.
allan

Finished my camino 19th oct . Did not get bitten by bed bugs. In fact I refused to believe in their existence for the first few weeks ! There was a degree of hysteria around though. I heard people telling everyone they had been bitten, when in fact they just had a few mozzie bites. And denying that there were any Mosquitos ! Towards the end of the camino, I did see some evidence of bedbugs , but I don't think it's as bad as it sounds . Didn't use any repellent either, but maybe I was just lucky ? Don't be scared , and don't be put off.
Buen camino :D
Helen

I agree with Helen. I finished my camino (Frances and Finisterra) on Oct 22 of this year. This is what I wrote on my blog about bedbugs.

During my online research, there was a fair amount of posts and warning about bedbugs. My attitude was that these nasty insects were probably going to be around but I would do as much as possible to protect myself. I brought a very lightweight fitted sheet (twin-sized) and a pillow case that I had sprayed completely with Permethrin that I had purchased at REI. I am happy to report that I had NO problems with bedbugs. No bites. I was one of the few people I spoke with who did not have any problem with them so I credit the sprayed sheet and pillowcase. I had also sprayed thoroughly my backpack and the sleeping bag liner that I used.

Dan
http://www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I too bought Permethrin spray, mine as an ingredient in a pest management spray from the gardening department of Canadian Tire as one can't buy the stuff itself in Canada. I sprayed the inside and outside of my pack as well as my entire sleeping bag, pillow case and pajama pants and shirt, twice each. I got no bites, saw no signs of bugs. Saw only one lady who had lots of bites on her arm.

My husband and I were slightly freaked out by all the posts about bed bugs. We decided to play it safe and bought a cheap fitted twin-bed sheet which we treated with bug killer prior to departing for the Camino. While many of the albergues were clean and probably unnecessary, we had it with us in case we felt that using it was the best option. Overall, I'd say we used it 50% of the time but that was probably being overcautious. If it's worth your piece of mind, carry the added weight. We bought really lightweight sheet and then ditched it on our last morning. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, there. You mention a bug-proof sheet on your pack list. What exactly is that? A regular sheet that you've sprayed? Or something designed to repel bed bugs?

We purchased a bug retardent similar to this one (http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz) and submerged the fitted twin bedsheet in them. After it had fully dried, we ran it through the wash (no detergent; water only) to remove excess and then let it dry. It worked well for us.

On my recent Camino, I encountered bedbugs in just 2 places. Most albergues were very clean and very comfortable and I never needed my bed bug protector, but where I saw older beds I had a good look round and again, mostly fine bar two albergues where I got a few nips. My wife never got bitten at all, but I put that down to her being 4'10'' and being able to sleep within the protector, whereas for me, the protector was too short. Nothing too much to worry about if a few precautions are taken.

On my recent Camino, I encountered bedbugs in just 2 places. Most albergues were very clean and very comfortable and I never needed my bed bug protector, but where I saw older beds I had a good look round and again, mostly fine bar two albergues where I got a few nips. My wife never got bitten at all, but I put that down to her being 4'10'' and being able to sleep within the protector, whereas for me, the protector was too short. Nothing too much to worry about if a few precautions are taken.

Hi, there. What exactly was your bug protector?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.