• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs - permethrin

Brian Green

Hi all. I've heard that there are problems with bed bugs on the Camino this year. Research I have done suggests that spraying sleeping bag/ liner with permethrin can help. I am unable to get permethrin in Ireland. Would anybody know of similar products/alternatives that can be used. I'm starting my journey in Leon, is it possible to get it permithrin there or would I need to have my sleeping bag treated well in advance?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Brian,

I have yet to see any bedbugs, although the mosquitos have been bad while walking. You may not even need it...

Blessings,

Ruth

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This year I was bitten in a hotel in France and albergues in Leon and Monte de Gozo. I also saw bugs in Ponferrada but was not bitten.

That´s very unlucky AJ. I´ve never seen a bedbug on the Camino till this day. Mosquitoes as other peregrines have mentioned yes but bedbugs nope.

Buen Camino!

Hi all. I've heard that there are problems with bed bugs on the Camino this year. Research I have done suggests that spraying sleeping bag/ liner with permethrin can help. I am unable to get permethrin in Ireland. Would anybody know of similar products/alternatives that can be used. I'm starting my journey in Leon, is it possible to get it permithrin there or would I need to have my sleeping bag treated well in advance?

Go or order from the great outdoors or 53 degrees north. They have a life systems bug spray for clothing in a black bottle. I treated my bag, sleeping bag, and clothes (that wouldn't be washed everyday like my fleece) and never had a problem. Two people I ended up walking with got bites, I didn't while staying at the same places. It might have been the treatment or just luck. Either way, I'm glad I did it before I left.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seems that flea sprays that you get in any pet stores for treating infestations in carpets/animal bedding/soft furnishing contain permethrin (careful with this stuff, very toxic to cats) - does anybody have experience spraying sleeping bags or back packs with these products? Thanks

I'm wondering how long the permethrin treatment lasts? Do you bring the bottle and reapply along the way?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The stuff I purchased at REI says it lasts 6 weeks.

The stuff I purchased at REI says it lasts 6 weeks.

Thanks! I just looked it up too. Sorry, should have taken a second to do that before I posted. I appreciate the quick response! Thank you
Tanya

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! I just looked it up too. Sorry, should have taken a second to do that before I posted. I appreciate the quick response! Thank you
Tanya

Not a problem. They do sell smaller bottles.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
REI has a video on how to apply permethrin; just google REI and then search for permethrin. I sprayed the last of my gear yesterday. I also bought clothing and a sleeping bag insert that were treated by the manufacturer. Those items survive up to 70 launderings; much longer than the end user applied permethrin.
Annie, thanks for the great information on your Web site; very helpful. Prevention/avoidance is much easier than treatment (and a lot cheaper).

Last edited:
Seems that flea sprays that you get in any pet stores for treating infestations in carpets/animal bedding/soft furnishing contain permethrin (careful with this stuff, very toxic to cats) - does anybody have experience spraying sleeping bags or back packs with these products? Thanks
In Australia I have been able to get permethrin in a form that is dissolved in water, and sheets, insect screens, clothing, etc are then soaked in the solution and can be dried on a clothes line or laid out on a verandah or deck. The waste solution then is disposed of in the waste water/sewerage system.

This ensures a much more even and consistent treatment than spraying, but does require one to start a few days before departure to allow things to dry. It also reduces the risk of permethrin entering your local environment, which seems to me to be a major risk with spray products.

Regards

Have you tried a backpacker's anti-bed bug sheet? Me and my sister got ours from Amazon uk for about £10 and have used them on twp Caminos and they definitely keep the bed bugs away! A little extra weight but definitely worth it

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So i have been doing some searching for treatment of fitted sheet and pack and have a few questions for those that have already successfully protected themselves via treatments from the bed bugs. I am looking at various products available in the USA. Here are the main categories of the ones i am checking:

1. Permethrin SFR 36.8% permethrin concentrate label indicates it contains petroleum distillates. This is the best deal. My concern is the other ingrdients. Label has every insect listed except bedbugs!

2. Permethrin 10% permethrin concentrate. This does speak directly to use on gear. Label does not specify bedbugs but does not have as extensive of a list as the 36.8%.

3. Pyrethrin .96% pyrethrin and 9.6% piperonyl butoxide contains petroleum distilate. This does directly specify use for bedbugs and how to treat mattresses etc.

Those are basically the main types i found with a few variations in concentration levels. I know the petroleum distillates is a catchall for both good and bad variations. My concern is the fitted sheet that will be beneath our sleeping bag each night. I lean toward #3 since pyrethrin is a natural extract but then all of these seem to have the petroleum distillates warning label. #2 did not have any warning on the label about petroleum distillates but will the 10% be potent enough to last most of the Camino? #1 was very attractive since it could be used in a more concentrated manner and did have some discussion that indicated it was good for 70 washings... So i would think at least 70 days!

I welcome comment from any experienced pilgrims on this ( or chemists or exterminators)! I need to get the product ordered soon.

Thanks!
Ellen

I had posted the above post a few days ago and wondered if anyone had advice about the various chemicals available for purchase. If you have any knowledge or found/heard one works better on bedbugs than the other, please please let me know! Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey guys, here's a nice video for all the permethrin believers. It shows how long it takes for a permethrin treated fabric to kill a bedbug.

Sneak peak: 2 hours and 40 minutes.
In the video you see that after that time, they dont move anymore, but they only really start moving slowly after 40 minutes, which means that they have, lets say, 30 minutes of time to have you as diner and get the hell off your bed. Sounds like plenty of time to me.

I too use a pre-treated permethrin sheet and i too spray my bag, you never know, it might work, but the fact is, a treated fabric is not going to keep them away. Permethrin is not for prevention, but for killing and killing it simply does not do in time for you and i not to be breakfast, lunch and diner.

It is really best to check your new found bed and surroundings when you arrive and before installing yourself. If there is any trace of bedbugs, tell the hospitalero and leave, at least, thats what i would do. If they have bed bugs, they wont be able to solbe the problem in a few hours.
If you do get bitten, please dont do as some others do, be ignorant or out of shame go into denial by saying its just a mosquito bite and then go about your business checking into the next albergue like nothing happened. Really i have seen people do this. They not even made a simple attempt to machinewash their clothes. They went into complete denial, even with the typical bed bug bites all over their arm, leg ect....
Just wash your all your clothes, as hot as possible and also if its nice and warm outside, putt all your stuff in a garbage and place it in the sun for a few hours.
Even better, if it is around, go to a dry cleaner and let them do it all for you. It not for free, but some things are worth paying for. Thats why your also buying permethrin, right?

Sadly, there is no magic bullet. Read a recent monograph that talked about the populations of bed bugs that are permethrin tolerant. As has been mentioned before, Anniesantiago has information on her Web page on recognizing bed bug infestations as well as other helpful hints. She says it well; avoidance and prevention are key. Still, we are not talking about sleeping in grizzly bear country. Chinches only take little bites and don't tear up your gear and tent.

Sadly, there is no magic bullet. Read a recent monograph that talked about the populations of bed bugs that are permethrin tolerant. As has been mentioned before, Anniesantiago has information on her Web page on recognizing bed bug infestations as well as other helpful hints. She says it well; avoidance and prevention are key. Still, we are not talking about sleeping in grizzly bear country. Chinches only take little bites and don't tear up your gear and tent.

So true, avoid and prevent. Thats about as much as you can do.

Oh and please all note: bed bugs don't really care too much about our hotel rating system. They like a good five star hotel just as much as a sleazy hostel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Chinches only take little bites and don't tear up your gear and tent.
That may be, but it seems that some people can be quite adversely affected, while others don't. I know I would rather not have to find out which group I am in.

I also received similar information from my local exterminator that basically only thought the chemicals killed the bugs on contact and had very little residual effect from a surface being sprayed. I don't care about killing them, i just dont want them walking onto my bed and down into my sleeping bag. Now i am not sure if it even makes sense to prepare a treated sheet for under my sleeping bag unless it forces them to turn away, and this, now, sounds unlikely. Maybe spraying the sheet provided right before i put my bag on it makes more sense. The fitted sheet takes up room in my pack that i could better use for food. I am torn at this point as to what to do... Even treating my pack seems unnecessary if i bag it each night.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Australia I have been able to get permethrin in a form that is dissolved in water, and sheets, insect screens, clothing, etc are then soaked in the solution and can be dried on a clothes line or laid out on a verandah or deck. The waste solution then is disposed of in the waste water/sewerage system.

This ensures a much more even and consistent treatment than spraying, but does require one to start a few days before departure to allow things to dry. It also reduces the risk of permethrin entering your local environment, which seems to me to be a major risk with spray products.

Regards
Dougfitz,

What brand did you get and were did you buy it from

I also received similar information from my local exterminator that basically only thought the chemicals killed the bugs on contact and had very little residual effect from a surface being sprayed. I don't care about killing them, i just dont want them walking onto my bed and down into my sleeping bag. Now i am not sure if it even makes sense to prepare a treated sheet for under my sleeping bag unless it forces them to turn away, and this, now, sounds unlikely. Maybe spraying the sheet provided right before i put my bag on it makes more sense. The fitted sheet takes up room in my pack that i could better use for food. I am torn at this point as to what to do... Even treating my pack seems unnecessary if i bag it each night.

As the youtube clip shows, it does kill them when in contact with treated fabric, it just takes a while. So if you look at it that way, spraying your bag on the inside might not be such a waist of time.
Imagine them crawling into your backpack, unknown, and it is treated with permethrin, it might just kill them before you hit the next albergue. Then atleast you wont bring any living bedbugs with you.

Its just a thought. I am no expert either.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it just me, or did anyone else think that YouTube video of bedbugs on permethrin treated fabric was a tad bit horrifying? I mean I started to feel some compassion for the little buggers. Not that I'm going to rescue them. ;)

I need help from some of you veteran Caminoists.......We just sprayed our backpacks with permethrin for our Sept 12th Camino, and while I had my back turned my husband sprayed the inside of my pack. We wiped it out with a wet cloth while it was still wet. Everything I've read said only to spray the outside, so is this going to be a problem.
I hate chemicals (maybe more than bedbugs), so will I be OK, or might I grow another head before the end of my walk. YIKES!!:eek::eek:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Falcon, guess I'll be OK. I won't tell my hubby we didn't need to wipe it out.;)
I also planned on spraying inside and out, along with treating all of my clothes and sleeping bag.

I need help from some of you veteran Caminoists.......We just sprayed our backpacks with permethrin for our Sept 12th Camino, and while I had my back turned my husband sprayed the inside of my pack. We wiped it out with a wet cloth while it was still wet. Everything I've read said only to spray the outside, so is this going to be a problem.
At worst, it will kill any beg bugs that make it past the permethrin on the outside of the pack. You might want to be more careful about contact issues, and make sure you don't let food or anything that will come in contact with moist areas of your body is packed so that it doesn't come into direct contact with the pack material if you are really concerned.

In this context, I don't think treating underwear, especially for women, is recommended. In the past, I have only ever treated outer layer clothing, and never underwear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.