• Click to join the Casa Ivar mailing List
    (separate from the forum emails). This includes new videos created on YouTube and new prodcts on the Camino Forum Store. (Click the small "X" on the top right corner to remove this message)

Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Bed bugs

lckgj

I am leaving in two days time to restart my pilgrimage in Logrono. I think I am pretty well prepared for the different conditions I will encounter from my last stint in sunny June with regards to warmer clothing, sleeping bag etc. However, I am rather worried about the bed bug situation. Does anyone know what the latest news on this problem is? I sometimes have quite severe reactions to insect bites and don't want it to spoil my experience. I have ordered a (supposedly) bed bug proof sheet (PLEASE let it arrive in time!) and am taking some insecticide in an aerosol to spray around my bed area. I am also concerned that I might walk to an albergue only to find it closed for cleaning - will there up-to-date info en route? I didn't get the impression the last time that there was much communication between the albergues in adjoining towns. I could stay in hotels rather than the albergues but I have read there is as much chance of being bitten there and I would really miss the social side of being with other pilgrims in the evenings. I am detrermined to go regardless of the pesky critters but I just want to be as well prepared as possible. Thanks.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Jupp

Another solution that surely helps is to take antihistamin-tablets. Had severe bites on the beginning of the camino in September and a pharmacist helped me with VIRLIX tablets. It helped also against moskitos. Besides this, I bought a normal coton sheet and put it under my sleeping bag. No more problems later on, we avoided well overcrowded albergues.
If you have sometimes severe reactions to insect bites, I would advise to consult a specialized doctor in order to find out the sort of allergy you have.
I was in the same situation, but insecticide spray didn't help, I got the bites.
Buen Camino, Jupp.[/quote]