• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bed sizes

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I am thinking of taking a light weight material to cover the beds in aubergue, sprayed for bed bugs.

I figure it could act like the privacy sheet some have mentioned as well as emergency pareo.

silk seems a bit too slippery despite the light weight.

but what are the average- or biggest -dimensions of the beds/ bunks? does tulle work against bed bugs if sprayed?
thank you in advance
nanc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Nanc,

Re the bed sizes - a standard single or bunk bed is typically 3 feet (90 cms) wide.

I can't answer you questions about the fabric, but I'm sure that others will respond!

Nuala

I got the double sheet and it should fit fine.

Product Features

• Weight: 160g
  • Dimensions (open): 200 x 145cm
  • Fabric Treatment: EX8 (lasts up to 2 years or 35 washes)
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bed sizes are variable. I am just over 6 feet tall, and about half the time, my head and feet touched the ends of the bed frame. In other beds there were several inches extra at both ends. A double sheet will cover all contingencies.

As to the question of fabric type, I would suggest that you consider a Tyvek soft structure "fabric" (Google Tyvek 1443R). It is very lightweight (at 1.25 oz/ sq yd, it's lighter than silk and much lighter than cotton). One of the great things about it is that you can work with it like any other fabric, but it doesn't unravel. You can DIY whatever you want, if you're so inclined. It's also water resistant but still breathable, making it excellent as a groundcloth, wrap, or emergency tarp.

I simply cut a flat sheet large enough for any bed that I would encounter on the camino, sprayed it with permethin on the underside and about 8" on the topside edges, and sewed reinforcements for addition of grommets so I could pitch an emergency tarp with my walking poles if I had to go to ground for some unexpected reasons. Even with a couple titanium stakes and guy lines, it's still less weight than a simple sheet and far more useful.

Last edited:
I am thinking of taking a light weight material to cover the beds in aubergue, sprayed for bed bugs. I figure it could act like the privacy sheet some have mentioned as well as emergency pareo.
I found the lighest weight paro/scarf/sarongs on Amazon. I have a couple that are in the 75 gram range, 190cm x 90cm (35"x 74") and were $2.19 when I ordered them last June. I've already sprayed with Permethrin. My previous was about the same size but weighed nearly twice as much. When I got my bunk assignment or chose one, I'd do a quick bedbug check, then lay out the paro on the bed to mark my spot while I went about doing my other business. Used it a night or two as a bunk privacy screen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have taken tule and it's worked out great. It has also been brought to my attention that I was ready to get married the minute I met Mr Right on route since I was carrying my veil. ;) I never bothered to cut it to the right size, and was therefor carrying too much, so this year I will cut it down to size, but making sure I leave enough to be able to tuck it well under the mattress. It's the chemical barrier you are after here, not a material barrier, so tule, despite its little holes does the job nicely. Thanks to whom ever posted about this idea on the Forum last year.

I got the double sheet and it should fit fine.

Product Features

• Weight: 160g
  • Dimensions (open): 200 x 145cm
  • Fabric Treatment: EX8 (lasts up to 2 years or 35 washes)
Buen Camino
sorry what product/ brand /name is this?
and where did you get it?
thanks for suggestions
nanc

I am thinking of taking a light weight material to cover the beds in aubergue, sprayed for bed bugs.

I figure it could act like the privacy sheet some have mentioned as well as emergency pareo.

but what are the average- or biggest -dimensions of the beds/ bunks? does tulle work against bed bugs if sprayed?
thank you in advance
nanc
Silk isn't always slippery. It depends on the weave of the fabric.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

thank you in advance
nanc
Wouldn't do tulle simply because it is too fragile, can see through it, it won't double as anything and wind up ripped and useless. Apparently mosquitos are not a problem and that's the only thing tulle would be good for. I'd go with a poly or jersey (synthetic blend) flat sheet in a "double". It's just a little bigger than a twin and most of the beds I've seen are twins, though not necessarily the same dimensions as a U.S. twin. But a double flat would cover completely tucked in and can be used for a lot of other things, including an impromptu picnic throw. ( There are so many places they "can" be picked up, including the luggage area of the airport). All in all it seems to be pretty rare on the Camino. If you are unlucky enough to come across a bad enough infestation, I don't think a chemically treated sheet will keep them away completely. But it seems to be a rare enough thing that I don't think you need worry. I think it's just that when it does happen a lot is made of it. But I really like your idea of a privacy sheet if nothing else ;-)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.