A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Before Los Arcos

DowtyCamino

Camino(s) past & future
May-July (2014),
May-July (2017)
is there any lodging before los arcos and after Estella except the town before monjardin?

RENSHAW

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks every year on CF reaching Burgos or Leon. Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
Always like to hear of new options - If ones looks on Google maps then it quite possible to stick to the recognized Camino as well and veer off to Luquin - personally I find it difficult to get to any of the towns mentioned after the wine fountain participation. Just for interest sake , after the wine fountain one passes a big resort where one can hire a chalet - a bit expensive for one pilgrim but pretty cheap for 3 or 4 sharing(on the traditional route that is)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
.... Just for interest sake , after the wine fountain one passes a big resort where one can hire a chalet - a bit expensive for one pilgrim but pretty cheap for 3 or 4 sharing(on the traditional route that is)

This should be the place that Renshaw mentioned. They have a good food shop and resto open to all. When walking by it was always a great stop for a second breakafast!
http://www.campingiratxe.com//

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
If you do decide to take the alternative route to/through Luquin, it is a beautiful walk. It is a little higher than the normal route to/through Manjardin, but the views are spectacular, and the route is partly at the edge of a lovely forest of Oak trees and then fairly open and far more interesting. If going to Los Arcos, the distance is the same as going through Manjardin. There are far fewer pilgrims, and the arrows are sufficient to find your way, although not as frequent as the standard route. The last time I walked this was in 2013, and the bar in the village Luquin was only open in the evenings so take enough food/and drink to get to Los Arcos

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
If you do decide to take the alternative route to/through Luquin, it is a beautiful walk. It is a little higher than the normal route to/through Manjardin, but the views are spectacular, and the route is partly at the edge of a lovely forest of Oak trees and then fairly open and far more interesting. If going to Los Arcos, the distance is the same as going through Manjardin. There are far fewer pilgrims, and the arrows are sufficient to find your way, although not as frequent as the standard route. The last time I walked this was in 2013, and the bar in the village Luquin was only open in the evenings so take enough food/and drink to get to Los Arcos
David,
It it not Villamayor de Monjardin that Luquin is near on route to Los Arcos rather than Manjardin? That new place in Luquin does look very nice for a future stop!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis
Camino Norte
May-July (2017)
Siljansleden (2018)
I was just passing through Luquin 2 weeks ago and the water there is the best on the Camino. There is that one Albergue there and the only place to eat opens at 6pm. They only really serve tortilla for food.
I recommend to everyone to take that route...most spectacular views. I didn't see one pilgrim that entire day after the wine fountain...just a few lucky bikers.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo
Camino(s) past & future
2015 & 2016 (partial)
I was just passing through Luquin 2 weeks ago and the water there is the best on the Camino. There is that one Albergue there and the only place to eat opens at 6pm. They only really serve tortilla for food.
Halfway between Luquin and Villamayor de Monjardín is Urbiola, where there is also a bar/restaurant. So if you were desperate for something not in Luquin, you could go north on the carretera, and from there, the other camino route is 515 meters away on the other side of Urbiola (right under the sign that claims it's only 200 meters).

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis
Camino Norte
May-July (2017)
Siljansleden (2018)
Halfway between Luquin and Villamayor de Monjardín is Urbiola, where there is also a bar/restaurant. So if you were desperate for something not in Luquin, you could go north on the carretera, and from there, the other camino route is 515 meters away on the other side of Urbiola (right under the sign that claims it's only 200 meters).
Sounds great if I wanted the other Camino route. I walked from puente la reina to Los Arcos in one day with a lunch break in Estella. Stopping in Urbiola wouldn't have worked for me since I had just eaten in Estella. Thanks for the info though. I want to go back just to do that same route again cause it was beautiful and full of butterflies.

Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
I stayed at the Irache campground on Aoril 20 this year. The little cabin cost only 22 € but the shower was in a separate building. I did have a toilet and sink tho.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%