• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Before my MMDD arrives...

ColinF

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn (2015) or Spring (2016)
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community, and have been considering doing the Le Puy route next year. However, it looks as though I could be able to do it this year starting the end of August.

I'm concerned that I may have left things a little late to do much planning. Is that true?
I've just ordered the MMDD and it won't arrive for a while, and I would like to make a start at reserving some accommodation for the first few days.

I'm looking for recommendations for accommodation in Le Puy, and the route for the first few days (possibly St Privat or Monistrol, Chanaleilles , Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole, Aumont Aubrac).

Thanks

Colin

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm on the Le puy route at the moment. I stayed at "maison au loup" for my first night and I loved it. The rooms are nice but the host Annick is a wonderful source of history for the area. I believe she speaks good English but I insisted we talk French. As to the rest it really would depend on your fitness level. I stayed my first night in St Privat (23 kms) and didnt really want to stop, but as I had a reservation... I'm now reserving about one day in advance and if you avoid the start and end points of the stages in the Michelin guide for the route you'll have better luck with availability. You can follow me at www.gavineyre.com.

Last edited:
We leave Le Puy on August 28 and have reserved a room at L'epicurism for two nights. We used booking dot com for this reservation. After almost 24 hours of travel (plane and train) we arrive late afternoon in Le Puy and then we will spend the next day in town. We will go short our first day...to Montbonnet and stay at Gite d’etape l’Escole. I booked this using an email address. She requested an email follow up a week before we arrive. That is all I have booked. We will look into booking a night at Saugues while in Le Puy. We hope to only book a day or two ahead as we like to be free to change plans.
Hope your plans come along.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm on the Le puy route at the moment. I stayed at "maison au loup" for my first night and I loved it. The rooms are nice but the host Annick is a wonderful source of history for the area. I believe she speaks good English but I insisted we talk French. As to the rest it really would depend on your fitness level. I stayed my first night in St Privat (23 kms) and didnt really want to stop, but as I had a reservation... I'm now reserving about one day in advance and if you avoid the start and end points of the stages in the Michelin guide for the route you'll have better luck with availability. You can follow me at www.gavineyre.com.

Thanks Gavin, I have been following your blog. Very inspiring. What gite did you stay at in St Privat? Would you recommend it? Have a good trip.

We leave Le Puy on August 28 and have reserved a room at L'epicurism for two nights. We used booking dot com for this reservation. After almost 24 hours of travel (plane and train) we arrive late afternoon in Le Puy and then we will spend the next day in town. We will go short our first day...to Montbonnet and stay at Gite d’etape l’Escole. I booked this using an email address. She requested an email follow up a week before we arrive. That is all I have booked. We will look into booking a night at Saugues while in Le Puy. We hope to only book a day or two ahead as we like to be free to change plans.
Hope your plans come along.

Thanks Ed and Joan, that sounds like a good idea, to stay 2 nights to recover from the journey, and make the most of Le Puy.

Have a great trip.

Colin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community, and have been considering doing the Le Puy route next year. However, it looks as though I could be able to do it this year starting the end of August.

I'm concerned that I may have left things a little late to do much planning. Is that true?
I've just ordered the MMDD and it won't arrive for a while, and I would like to make a start at reserving some accommodation for the first few days.

I'm looking for recommendations for accommodation in Le Puy, and the route for the first few days (possibly St Privat or Monistrol, Chanaleilles , Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole, Aumont Aubrac).

Thanks

Colin
Hi Colin. Happy to send you my accommodation list for Le a puy route by email. Just start a conversation with me and give me your email address and I will send it to you.. Have walked the route twice. It is a wonderful route.

I was thinking a bit more today about what advice I should give you and it's "Don't plan too far ahead" The biggest factor is the weather and that's only available 1 day ahead and so that is how I make my plans. If I don't get somewhere on my first call then #2 will be OK. However, for Conques I did book 2 days ahead as it is such a popular destination.

I was thinking a bit more today about what advice I should give you and it's "Don't plan too far ahead" The biggest factor is the weather and that's only available 1 day ahead and so that is how I make my plans. If I don't get somewhere on my first call then #2 will be OK. However, for Conques I did book 2 days ahead as it is such a popular destination.

Thanks Gavin,

you are posting some great photographs. And interesting commentary.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back