• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning, Middle or End...Second Camino recs?

sjh106

Hi all,

I did my first Camino this past fall, from Astorga to Santiago. I decided to do the end bit since I wasn't sure I would be able to come back and was short on time.

Now, I'm starting to think about my next trip but I'm not sure what part to do. I would likely have about 12 walking days, and I averaged about 24km/day. I think I would like to stick to Camino Frances or Finesterre. What part would you recommend? Starting at St. Jean and going as far as I can? Starting in a place like Burgos and ending where I started last year? Starting in Santiago and taking my time to Finesterre/Muxia? I keep going back and forth about which part I want to do so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks!
Shawna

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Shawna, I recommend the bit from St Jean Pied de Port, it is fabulous, walk as far as you get and then you can fill in the middle bit the year after perhaps. Cheers, Gitti

Totally agree with Gitti. The first part is amazing with the changing landscapes, cities, and culture. You could get to Burgos in 12 days and from there easily to Madrid to fly home. Great trip!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you would enjoy starting at Le-Puy-en-Velay, and walking until your time runs out. The Camino Frances is a walk with pilgrims; a camino in France is a walk with the French. You might love the difference!

My vote goes to Le Puy as well. You should be able to reach Conques or maybe even Figeac in the 12 days you have. Spectacular scenery - great food - and a different experience. You can keep going in later years.

Shawna, if I thought I'd never get back again, I would start at St Jean and walk over the mountain, through the largest Beech woods in the world, across the hills and rivers, pastures and meadows, fields of wheat, vineyards and cereal plantations.
You will enjoy the famed St Jean to Roncesvalles crossing, the Roman town of Pamplona, cross the Alto de Perdon with its iconic metal sculptures, have a chance to visit the enigmatic (Templar?) church at Eunate, sip wine from the Irache fountain, and could do a detour (by taxi) to the impressive castle ruins at Clavijo - where Santiago was first seen on his white horse fighting for the Christians against the Moors.
I know what I would do!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
gittiharre said:
Hi Shawna, I recommend the bit from St Jean Pied de Port, it is fabulous, walk as far as you get and then you can fill in the middle bit the year after perhaps. Cheers, Gitti

+1 a'donf, go for it!

I agree with others saying to start in St Jean. The beginning and end stages were my favorites parts of my Camino for beautiful countryside.

It all depends on the weather. In 2/3 times, the weather over the mountains isn't good. In that case, you don't see anything and it is a wasted day. If the weather is good, it is one of the most beautifull days of the camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much everyone-I appreciate the advice! I went last year thinking it might be my only opportunity, but now I'm going to make sure it wasn't. :) I am leaning towards a St. Jean start, and I think I will look into Le Puy for my next, next one (I want to conquer a bit more of Camino Frances first).

Hola Amigo,
I did from St Jean PdP to Burgos in September, was a fantastic journey. I followed the guide books recomendation of about 25 km a day, took me 13 days in to reach Burgos. I think you might be pushing it a bit if you only have 12 days, there's so much to see on that part of the way, so you dont want to rush it. You can always stop short of Burgos and bus in, give yourself time do what your heart tells you. I'm told that from Burgos to Leon is a good time to be looking inwards, in other words its pretty flat. Buen camino, and may the gods be with you.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good points Guitarista. You'd have to stick fairly rigidly to the Brierley stages to do it in 12 days, and I didn't due to blisters and general sloth. The walk into Burgos is probably one of the least pleasant of the whole Camino, so catching a bus for the last few kms would possibly improve the whole experience!

Keith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Keith and many others,
The alternative way into Burgos starts at Castanares, and is infinitely preferable to the road and pavement way of the standard route. It is easy! At the crossroads at Castanares at the fountain, instead of turning right, cross over the very busy main road (N-120) and walk straight ahead through the small housing estate and follow the quiet road as it bends to the right, passes a soccer field and bends to the left and crosses a small footbridge. This distance is about 300 metres and is easy to follow. Immediately after the footbridge turn right and follow the path, initially through some rough grassland, and then through a well kept parkland where you will see many people walking, running, skate boarding etc. From the bridge to the centre of Burgos is 7 kms, almost all through parkland and much better than the main waymarked route on pavements alongside busy roads. There are a couple of waymarks on poles, but are not necessary to find your way. David

camino-david said:
The alternative way into Burgos starts at Castanares, and is infinitely preferable to the road and pavement way of the standard route.
David

Defitively better now! According to John Brierley from Castanares follow the green alternative route:

Attachments

• Bild 2.png
    Bild 2.png
    172 KB · Views: 435
camino-david said:
The alternative way into Burgos starts at Castanares, and is infinitely preferable to the road and pavement way of the standard route. It is easy! David

Thanks, David and Annie. I met a couple of people who had done the alternative route and weren't very impressed, but maybe if they'd also done the road route they would have thought differently! For Shawna, it would be a shame to end her trip walking along that stretch of road so the alternative sounds much better.

I went past it in the train a few weeks ago and it brought a shiver to my spine.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back