• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best book for my friends who aren't familiar with the Camino?

tommycamino

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Hi all. It's my chance to pick for a Book Club with my friends next month. As it will mark a year since I did my first Camino, I am thinking about nominating a Camino memoir. Can anyone recommend one that would be appropriate for my friends who are largely uninformed about what the Camino is?

Preferably a book that touches on the introspection and soul-searching that one might undergo, rather than just the physical challenges.

Ideally, it would be available on Amazon or Kindle.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since I'm the same age as Andrew McCarthy and since my son is about the same age as his, "Walking with Sam" really hit home for me and got me planning. He had walked the Camino 25 years earlier as a lost young man, so many of his musings come from his first Camino. He talks of history as well. Easy and fun read.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I liked Walking with Sam, too. There is an excellent audio version read by Sam and Andrew themselves. There is much to discuss even by people who don't know (or care about) the Camino.

I liked Walking with Sam, too. There is an excellent audio version read by Sam and Andrew themselves. There is much to discuss even by people who don't know (or care about) the Camino.

I must try that one. I've read a few Camino books and haven't found one I like yet :rolleyes:
Many are just blog style or diaries. Many are turned into Novels that are sometimes a bit strange......

I enjoyed Furnace Full of God but that is more about living on the Camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would listen to the audiobook while walking my dog, then return to the print form when I was back home. I was so grateful to have the audiobook so I could hear Sam—in his own voice—call out the 'sheeesch' howl that drove his dad absolutely mad!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"A Confederacy of Dunces" (John Kennedy Toole)
Nothing to do with the Camino, but if they are not familiar with it...

Furthermore, all the Camino books that I know are written in french...
This one at least has been translated:
"The Santiago Pilgrimage: Walking the Immortal Way" (Jean-Christophe Rufin).

€46,-
Three that I enjoyed, and a couple of them had been mentioned in other threads. My favorite is "I'll Push You" by Patrick Gray and Justin Skeesuck. Two others are "On My Way" by Louise Sawle and "My Own Pace" by Bryan Paul Steward. I tend to gravitate towards human interest stories, or those where individuals have overcome obstacles in their life.

If you liked the above comment and suggestions, you might go to Amazon and look for "Finding Santiago." It is a collection of 56 short stories that cover both the Camino and volunteer duty at the Pilgrim Office. It is not a "how to", guide book, or a recounting of a specific Camino. Rather it is a compilation of stories that encapsulate the spirit and purpose of making pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago.

To be perfectly honest. I wrote the book in 2020 under the pseudonym "Don Thomas," when COVID forced all of us to remain mostly at home. I revised some errors in 2022. That is the edition available in paperback and as a Kindle Book.

I believe this is both what you are looking for, and it's arrangement as a compilation of short stories lends itself well to book club activities.

Hope this helps.

Tom

€46,-
"A Confederacy of Dunces" (John Kennedy Toole)
Nothing to do with the Camino, but if they are not familiar with it...

Furthermore, all the Camino books that I know are written in french...
This one at least has been translated:
"The Santiago Pilgrimage: Walking the Immortal Way" (Jean-Christophe Rufin).
I agree with both your recommendations. The off-Camino book is possibly the most entertaining book I’ve ever read. The on-Camino book avoids the romanticism and sentimentality of most of the genre. Rufin and his wife even have an argument…

I've read 3 camino books but they just don't appeal to me. It's unavoidable to compare with your own experiences. I would much rather read books that puts the whole pilgrimage/hero's journey in a philosophical, religious & mythological perspective. The power of myth by Joseph Campbell is always a good choice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all. It's my chance to pick for a Book Club with my friends next month. As it will mark a year since I did my first Camino, I am thinking about nominating a Camino memoir. Can anyone recommend one that would be appropriate for my friends who are largely uninformed about what the Camino is?

Preferably a book that touches on the introspection and soul-searching that one might undergo, rather than just the physical challenges.

I recently read Walking to the End of the World, a Thousand Miles on the Camino by by Beth Jusino. Now I want everyone I know to read it. The book beautifully portrays the experience and was the best book I have read that really brings the reader on the Camino experience. All Good Pilgrims by Robert Ward is also a wonderful book.

Three that I enjoyed, and a couple of them had been mentioned in other threads. My favorite is "I'll Push You" by Patrick Gray and Justin Skeesuck. Two others are "On My Way" by Louise Sawle and "My Own Pace" by Bryan Paul Steward. I tend to gravitate towards human interest stories, or those where individuals have overcome obstacles in their life.
"I'll Push You" is an astonishing tandem tale.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Several years ago I listened to Walking the Camino by Tony Kevin. This is a beautifully written account of TK’s walking the Via de la Plata, with history, culture and personal relevance. In addition, there are few other booked that give you insight into Camino’s outside of the Frances. And few written by an Aussie. Highly recommended

I've enjoyed 'Two Steps Forward' co-authors Graeme Simslon and Anne Buist (it incorporates two Caminos....starting from Cluny to Santiago (2000kms)

A Furnace Full of God, Rebekah Scott. A powerful book ⭐

Buen Camino! - A Father-Daughter Journey from Croagh Patrick to Santiago de Compostela, Natasha Murtagh and Peter Murtagh. A great read!

It’s About Time, Johnnie Walker. By a legendary Pilgrim 😊 I even read this in kindle format, which I really, really don’t like.

I’m Off Then, Hape Kerkeling. This was the first I read and I really enjoyed it.

The Way of Love: On the Camino de Santiago, Angela Leslee
(I’ve listened to this and read it too. It has the inner journey and a certain ‘je ne sais quoi‘. I found it very readable.)

The book about walking with a donkey … afraid I can’t remember the title or the author … someone on here will know it (them). It was an easy read and funny too.

There are more readable books on the camino than I expected to find 🙂

Last edited:

The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett, or dare I say it, Walk With The Sun Till Ur Shadow Disappears by me. Couldn't resist the plug😂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Boots to Bliss by Claude Tranchant and The Man With The Camino Tattoo by Dermot Breen and did I mention I Have Walked 500 Miles by me. I am so sad with these plugs. But seriously, the first two in this post are really good

Agree with the Bill Bennett book , The Way My Way., funny and poignant. Disagree with Walking with Sam. It was well written, had some decent history, but I ended not liking anyone in the book, and for those who have read it, the incident in the restaurant in Santiago on the day in Santiago with Andrew using the rest room pretty much demonstrates all the reasons I really didn't like the characters. But then it might be good for a book club discussion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not that my wife and I have walked many Caminos, but before each I've read...and now re-read - Stephen Drew's 'Into the Thin'. It is beautifully written book from a very talented author. From the very first page I was hooked..and continue to be captivated by the personal challenges that first brought him to walk his Camino. Inspirational and spiritually enriching - I feel very honoured to recommend this read.

(Also had the good fortune to attend a book signing for 'Into the Thin' in Jun '21)

Attachments

• IMG_9046.JPG
    IMG_9046.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9047.JPG
    IMG_9047.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 6
A Furnace Full of God, Rebekah Scott. A powerful book ⭐

Buen Camino! - A Father-Daughter Journey from Croagh Patrick to Santiago de Compostela, Natasha Murtagh and Peter Murtagh. A great read!

It’s About Time, Johnnie Walker. By a legendary Pilgrim 😊 I even read this in kindle format, which I really, really don’t like.

I’m Off Then, Hape Kerkeling. This was the first I read and I really enjoyed it.

The Way of Love: On the Camino de Santiago, Angela Leslee
(I’ve listened to this and read it too. It has the inner journey and a certain ‘je ne sais quoi‘. I found it very readable.)

The book about walking with a donkey … afraid I can’t remember the title or the author … someone on here will know it (them). It was an easy read and funny too.

There are more readable books on the camino than I expected to find 🙂
The book about walking with a donkey I believe originally came out as Spanish Steps. By Tim Moore. There was a name change along the way. Agree with Chinacat’s description.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too am going to be bold and suggest my own book “Walk Together and Take Care of One Another”, available on Amazon.com. It has been read by several book clubs and I spent a couple of hours answering questions from the readers at a couple of them. They were always so intrigued!
Sarah Brault

I too am going to be bold and suggest my own book “Walk Together and Take Care of One Another”, available on Amazon.com. It has been read by several book clubs and I spent a couple of hours answering questions from the readers at a couple of them. They were always so intrigued!
Sarah Brault
Good luck with your book!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I really enjoyed "Beneath The Wandering Stars" by Ashlee Cowles. It's a YA book but it spoke to me

To the Field of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin A. Codd

One of our favorite Camino books! We've bought at least 10 of these books to give to others who are considering walking. It's a good story for sure, but the way he gets into his own emotions and feelings as he walks, interacts with others and how that changes once his "camino family" learn that he's a catholic priest is very deep and introspective. He ventures into analyzing his emotions and his reactions to those emotions in a way that I'm simply not capable. I enjoyed it and could relate to much of it.

Excellent book!

Last edited:
Of the seven camino books in my own library that I enjoyed enough to buy, Jack Hitt's "Off The Road" remains IMHO the best all rounder. Humourous, inciteful and very well researched, I suggest that for group discussion it will fit the bill.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back