• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best cities for rest days

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmm, days in interesting cities with lots to see & do are rarely rest-days. If you've never been, and won't be again, then Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon & Ponferrada are all worth a day (some of them a week). For a rest I would more likely pick places like Puente la Reina, Santo Domingo, Castrojerez, Villalcázar de Sirga, Mansilla de las Mulas, Villafranca del Bierzo, and Samos. All with good bars and restaurants but little to see & do ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It really depends on your interests and what your body is telling you, but I prefer the larger cities where there are better restaurants and more services. I am not compulsive about sightseeing, however, so I am good with a tour of the cathedral and a bit of strolling around. One companion spent a day in Pamplona racing around trying to see everything and walked over 25 km 😳, so if that is going to tempt you, it would probably be better to stay away.

The “usual” would be my choices: Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, León, Astorga, Ponferrada. Having said that, I did take a day off due to injury in Sarria and really enjoyed it. We happened to be there for the once a month pulpo event and had a great time chowing down with the locals at long, festive picnic tables. It was also nice to have a rest before the last push into Santiago.

Last edited:
Some people plan to take rest days but find they get into such a rhythm that they don’t feel like doing that when the time comes. The joy - and the challenges - of walking each day can soon become addictive. Resting for injury or illness is of course a different consideration.

What has sometimes been suggested on the forum - and makes sense if you find you will miss the rhythm of walking each day but want a lighter day and/ or to see some sights - is to plan ‘short’ days into, and perhaps also out of, say, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada etc - to have some time to look around.

And, if you are staying mostly in Albergues, this can be a good time to take a private room when you can check in when you arrive and leave a little later than you would from an albergue.

Enjoy 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked my first camino in 2016 and planned 2 rest days in a 30 day camino. didn't need any as just couldn't see the need to rest up and my legs just wanted to walk. Its purely down to the person and your fitness. If you do need to rest I liked the cities of Burgos and Logrono as well as Leon. we had a good night in each city and sure they would be good for a stop over. I am on the French way again in May and don't have any stop overs planned. I'll let things happen as they do... Buen Camino

Lots of people will chime in with their favorite towns and cities along the Camino Francés, but in my opinion the best place to take a rest day is when your body tells you that it needs a rest.
I want to second this!

Last time I took a rest day in Burgos and Leon. If you want time in the biggest cities to explore - then by all means stay there. But, I found that while I did take time to explore both - I felt weird not walking and kind of wished I had taken a short day instead. Either walking a short day into the city and spending the afternoon/evening exploring OR leaving a little later in the morning the next day and just walking a shorter distance to the next stop. I also found I did not NEED rest days. I just had decided that those were the towns I was going to rest in. BTW - I didn't really rest at all. I became a tourist for the day. It felt strange. It felt out of place. This time, I am not planning to take any rest days. HOWEVER, I have extra time built into my schedule at the end and CAN if I NEED to or WANT to. If I don't need rest days - I will have more time to explore Spain/Portugal after the Camino before heading home. Also - you may simply be inspired as you walk through a place and say to yourself "I know I was going to walk 12km further today - but I like it here"!

I felt weird not walking and kind of wished I had taken a short day instead.
I feel the same. If I need a rest I prefer to walk two short days in a row, and stay in a private room the night between the two short days.
This works out well in the larger town and cities. You can arrive by noon, and usually drop off your backpack at reception where you are staying, then you can explore the city a bit, have a menu del día, and maybe a nap in the afternoon.
The next morning you can sleep in because there won't be a hospitalero kicking you out at 8 am.
This strategy worked especially well for an evening enjoying the fantastic tapas bars on Calle del Laurel in Logroño.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the best days I've ever had was in Portomarin. Not a town I'd especially recommend, but when I got up to start walking that day, I felt weary. It was getting towards the end of my first walk, from SDJDP. I decided to wait until the cafes opened and have a proper breakfast. As I sat outside enjoying a leisurely cafe con leche, stall holders starting arriving, it was street market day. Stayed the whole day, watching the locals, watching new pilgrims arrive, and stayed in a good hotel that night. Pure relaxation.

After that I was well refreshed and enjoyed the rest of the walk to SDC.

I concur - rest when your body tells you. With a caveat - if there happens to be a fiesta in town - think about staying! Or if there is stuff you want to see. I am now a bit of a tourist because I've been doing this for 20 years and now I think "I may never walk this way again".

But I do understand the drive people have to keep going.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Crandall
It's great to have 4 rest days sitting in your back pocket. But you don't have to use them (there's always Finisterre...) - just see what happens and go with the flow. Your decisions are likely to be influenced by the people you encounter - sharing the walk with others you meet can be great fun.
I think shortened days are a really good strategy - either for checking the essentials in a city or town, like Astorga with its contrast between the austere cathedral and Gaudi's OTT Bishops Palace. Also for the occasional sunny lazy afternoon in a village in the middle of nowhere, where you get everything out of your bag, sort through and wash (nearly) everything, hang it up on the line and relax. The CSJ Rabanal albergue is good for that, with a lovely garden out back and (I think) they (still) serve afternoon tea..
Cheers, tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Going with Tinc's idea of a rest day versus a tourist day I nominate Sahagün. It bills itself as the halfway point on the Frances and you can pickup a fancy certificate there. There are some things to see but they won't wear you out and you won't be far from the the seats on the plaza major.

I really like Tinc's suggestion of Villafranca del Bierzo but not his one of Villalcázar de Sirga. I had a rest day there while Peg was sick in bed. Go just a few kilometers further to Carrion de Condés.

Hi - I know this has been about the Frances Route but this year I am walking the La Lana and have a few days before I head off and thought I might train to Valencia for two days - any recommendations of where to stay there. I will be starting from Alicante but I see it is a fairly short train ride away. Thanks and buen camino

Lots of people will chime in with their favorite towns and cities along the Camino Francés, but in my opinion the best place to take a rest day is when your body tells you that it needs a rest.
You got that right. Some of the best cities I stayed in to rest if you put a gun to my head I could not remember the names of

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I plan to take 4 rest days along the French from SJDP. Any suggestions on best cities or sites to take those rest day?
Plenty to do and see en-route Burgos is fantastic with the cathedrals the home of El cid the nesting egrets at this time of year and the really brown friendly squirrells that come out to play early in the morning on your way through the park is much photogenic than that straight road out of Burgos. Then Leon is Fantastic with so much to do one could be forgiven for forgetting the route to Santiago and forging a path to night life which is pleasing now that we are starting a return to what was before.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I plan to take 4 rest days along the French from SJDP. Any suggestions on best cities or sites to take those rest day?
It won't be everyone's idea of a rest day but mine is to walk a short distance to a small town or village and then just sit in the sun with a beer in my hand. It actually is fun watching other pilgrims walk bye. Often one or two will stop for a chat. And of course, I don't feel guilty because I still moved forward even if it's only 10k. My favourite was walking from Mañeru to Lorca then stopped at first albergue on the right. Made friends with the owners, did a little work helping out with light chores, enjoyed a few drinks and was given a free breakfast before I left next morning. I don't really want to spend a rest day sightseeing around big cities in blazing sunshine. But that's just me. As I said at start, not everyone's cup of tea

How many pairs of socks are you bringing? That seems to be somewhat of a determinant for me. Even with good quality merino wool socks and quick dry underwear, there comes a time when a visit to a lavandería becomes more enticing. Currently nearing Rome on the VF after starting in Torino. Nice to be able to allow enough time to take a rest day when the need or desire occurs, which is usually about every 5-6 days for me. (I average about 30km/day).

Going with Tinc's idea of a rest day versus a tourist day I nominate Sahagün. It bills itself as the halfway point on the Frances and you can pickup a fancy certificate there. There are some things to see but they won't wear you out and you won't be far from the the seats on the plaza major.

I really like Tinc's suggestion of Villafranca del Bierzo but not his one of Villalcázar de Sirga. I had a rest day there while Peg was sick in bed. Go just a few kilometers further to Carrion de Condés.
Tom, I had in mind the Meson los Templarios when I commended Villalcazar. I’ll cheerfully eat there twice in a day 😋

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Burgos has a wonderful cathedral and square and a good vibe. Leon is a favorite, you can find a relatively inexpensive hotel that is awesome in old town on the Main Street near its cathedral. I recommend the audio tour in the cathedral there. In Leon you also get a convenient Corte Ingles. Astorga would be like a 2/3 day break from Leon, so too early IMO. Ponferrada has that Castle if you are into templars. After that I am running on spirit so no more rest days.

If you are really going to use a rest day, I would also consider whether you need to "rest" by not walking around all day seeing the sights. I would chose someplace away from crowds, mercados, fiestas, etc. if you really want to rest. If you want to see the sights, that is entirely different, but often rest days are needed by pilgrims to see a doctor or other provider or just hole up in a private room because you caught a cold or something. That's when your built in rest days will come in handy and keep you on whatever schedule you may need to keep.

Tom, I had in mind the Meson los Templarios when I commended Villalcazar. I’ll cheerfully eat there twice in a day 😋
Peg caused the next albergue past the meson some problems with her illness 🤢 so we owed them to spend our money there. Hopefully we won't be recognized next time we pass though town and we can try your place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with the message to not over plan. And short walking days work well for visiting the bigger cities. You can not anticipate how you will feel and the surprises you will find. For example, we arrived early enough in Villafranca del Bierzo to find and enjoy a river with beach. The cold water was a great cure for my achy joints, and those that didn’t fancy the icy water, relaxed on the bank.

Attachments

• E75CA058-D54C-4375-8312-915890E6203F.jpeg
    E75CA058-D54C-4375-8312-915890E6203F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • D5A2343C-A0DA-447B-89E4-119CF615EE5C.jpeg
    D5A2343C-A0DA-447B-89E4-119CF615EE5C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Define rest? Sightseeing, shopping, fine dining, laying on a lounge all day letting you feet breath.

I agree with the message to not over plan. And short walking days work well for visiting the bigger cities. You can not anticipate how you will feel and the surprises you will find. For example, we arrived early enough in Villafranca del Bierzo to find and enjoy a river with beach. The cold water was a great cure for my achy joints, and those that didn’t fancy the icy water, relaxed on the bank.
villafranca was lovely and we saw people chillin in the water. One for next time me thinks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where to “rest” is almost too personal to take advice on. My planned rest day was Leon and I arrived on Sunday (last Sunday). But after the peace and solitude of the Meseta and tiera de campos, I was assaulted by the crowds & bustle and kept walking. Didn’t feel an obligation to stay even though I’d never been there. Counting on there being a next time.

One of the best days I've ever had was in Portomarin. Not a town I'd especially recommend, but when I got up to start walking that day, I felt weary. It was getting towards the end of my first walk, from SDJDP. I decided to wait until the cafes opened and have a proper breakfast. As I sat outside enjoying a leisurely cafe con leche, stall holders starting arriving, it was street market day. Stayed the whole day, watching the locals, watching new pilgrims arrive, and stayed in a good hotel that night. Pure relaxation.

After that I was well refreshed and enjoyed the rest of the walk to SDC.

I concur - rest when your body tells you. With a caveat - if there happens to be a fiesta in town - think about staying! Or if there is stuff you want to see. I am now a bit of a tourist because I've been doing this for 20 years and now I think "I may never walk this way again".

But I do understand the drive people have to keep going.
Which hotel did you stay in while in Portomarin? I'm looking for private rooms and bathrooms. 😊

@Lliki it was my first Camino more than 20 years ago! I don’t remember the name of the hotel and I doubt it would still be the same.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Before my first camino, I planned for a day off, a "day of rest" every week. As it turned out, I didn't want any. And I didn't want to walk to Finisterre (when I finished my walk in Santiago, I took a bus to Finisterre). I took most of my day in Leon off from pilgrim walking: seeing the city and staying in a hotel, not an albergue. Leon is my favourite city on the Frances, and Sahagun my second. This fall, I shall be walking through both and shall try to schedule an early night in Sahagun and maybe the same in Leon or a day off. I guess it depends on timing. I may need a day off in Burgos, where I shall be arriving from the Camino Bayonne. I suppose I have two usual practices which determine my days of rest: what do I want to see and how tired am I?

@Lliki Just last month I stayed in a little pension type of place called Baires. It was a bit hard to find, up the hill, but the rooms have a pretty view. We had a shared bath, super clean, very safe. Run by a pleasant older gentleman. I would recommend it.

Although it’s early in your Camino, let me recommend taking a day off in Pamplona. Both times that I’ve walked the CF, I’ve found that the first three days are demanding enough to warrant a rest in Pamplona. I didn’t stop there on my first Camino, but my wife and I did take a day off there in 2019. We had a most relaxing day taking it easy, enjoying the numerous café/bars, and eating some of the best tapas or pintxos you’ll find along The Way. This article on Best Tapas in Pamplona will give you an idea of some great places to eat and drink in the city whether you just spend an evening or another full day there. Bar Gaucho is a favorite of mine! But, in the mornings, before the crowd is out, I head to the Café Iruña for coffee, journaling, and just to soak in a little history (for Hemingway fans).
756754D3-2969-42BA-AFBC-6A46AAC8C975.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked my first camino in 2016 and planned 2 rest days in a 30 day camino. didn't need any as just couldn't see the need to rest up and my legs just wanted to walk. Its purely down to the person and your fitness. If you do need to rest I liked the cities of Burgos and Logrono as well as Leon. we had a good night in each city and sure they would be good for a stop over. I am on the French way again in May and don't have any stop overs planned. I'll let things happen as they do... Buen Camino
My first Camino coming up, and I am with you, just see how it goes and see where you end up!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back