• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best day to start from SJPdP

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
I'm planning to walk Camino for 1st time starting in SJPdP early June. I'm travelling from London & was wondering if there is a 'best' day to arrive in SJPdP to begin next day. Any other advice on place to stay in SJPdP would be welcome. Many thanks :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Angelab,
In the past I have found Tuesday to be a good day to arrive in SJPdP. Those who have traveled during the weekend to start on Monday will have left and town is slightly calmer.

Here is a handy accommodation list from the local tourist bureau
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/tourisme/hebergement/

When you arrive in SJPdP do stop at the Pilgrim Office located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. Helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims. ...Do plan to stop and chat

Bon chemin and Buen camino!.

Last edited:
Angelab,
In the past I have found Tuesday to be a good day to arrive in SJPdP. Those who have traveled during the weekend to start on Monday will have left and town is slightly calmer.

When you arrive in SJPdP do stop at the Pilgrim Office located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle.

The office is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. Helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims. ...Do plan to stop and chat

Thanks so much for your sharing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi angelab, starting from st jean on thursday 08june ,had hoped to start the wednesday but flying into bordeaux on the tuesday night and have to stay overnight there . have heard from friends who have done it in previous years that sundays are very busy ...similiar to advice from mspath ,,hope to see you along the route

buen camino

and if you can, try avoiding arriving in Santiago on a weekend (Friday-Sunday) when it is the busiest.
If you are arriving in Santiago on a weekend, I recommend advance reservations for accommodations there.
ultreia

and if you can, try avoiding arriving in Santiago on a weekend (Friday-Sunday) when it is the busiest.
If you are arriving in Santiago on a weekend, I recommend advance reservations for accommodations there.
ultreia
Hello Mark!

Is that really so busy during the weekend? Because I will arrive to SJPdP on Saturday (next month) and no reservation.. :D When I walked 3 years ago, it was pretty good, I mean the people and it was Sunday..

I'm pretty scared when I read here on the forum about many people on the road..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Mark!

Is that really so busy during the weekend? Because I will arrive to SJPdP on Saturday (next month) and no reservation.. :D When I walked 3 years ago, it was pretty good, I mean the people and it was Sunday..

I'm pretty scared when I read here on the forum about many people on the road..
It just seemed like a lot of people there, pilgrims and regular tourists alike, on the weekend the last time I was there. I'm sure it varies, of course.
I've arrived there as well without a reservation and always found a place to stay, but when I walked the Camino I never knew the exact day I would arrive in Santiago, only which day I was flying back to Madrid from there. So I suppose my advice was for those pilgrims planning a Camino who know exactly which days they will be staying there.
A couple of years ago on the Camino it was a Friday afternoon when I reached Monte de Gozo. There was a steady stream of many pilgrims walking on to Santiago. I stood there and watched that a bit, and wondered if I would find a bed in Santiago as I had no reservations. It was also gloomy and cloudy and about to rain. I made the decision to just stay at the albergue in Monte de Gozo (almost empty) and walk in to Santiago in the morning, which I did, and the weather was clear and cool that morning and by 9:00 am I found a place to stay there.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It just seemed like a lot of people there, pilgrims and regular tourists alike, on the weekend the last time I was there. I'm sure it varies, of course.
I've arrived there as well without a reservation and always found a place to stay, but when I walked the Camino I never knew the exact day I would arrive in Santiago, only which day I was flying back to Madrid from there. So I suppose my advice was for those pilgrims planning a Camino who know exactly which days they will be staying there.
A couple of years ago on the Camino it was a Friday afternoon when I reached Monte de Gozo. There was a steady stream of many pilgrims walking on to Santiago. I stood there and watched that a bit, and wondered if I would find a bed in Santiago as I had no reservations. It was also gloomy and cloudy and about to rain. I made the decision to just stay at the albergue in Monte de Gozo (almost empty) and walk in to Santiago in the morning, which I did, and the weather was clear and cool that morning and by 9:00 am I found a place to stay there.
Last time I made only one reservation during my Camino (not me, my Spanish friend :) ). I just want to walk and find some bed and don't want to worry about the reservations.. Hope it will be fine..

I made the decision to just stay at the albergue in Monte de Gozo (almost empty) and walk in to Santiago in the morning, which I did, and the weather was clear and cool that morning and by 9:00 am I found a place to stay there.
Really like this idea! Thanks for the tip!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm planning to walk Camino for 1st time starting in SJPdP early June. I'm travelling from London & was wondering if there is a 'best' day to arrive in SJPdP to begin next day. Any other advice on place to stay in SJPdP would be welcome. Many thanks :)
I highly recommend Beliari in SJPPP. I have stayed there on both caminos and consider it the very best way to start your camino. But, you do have to book ahead.

No, there is not a best day to arrive in SJPdP to begin next day.

The 'best' day is the one most convenient to you in terms of arrival and preparedness. When you are there and ready to go ... its time.

Mid week so you have the weekend in Pamplona enjoying the tapas bars and "The Family/ Weekend Lunch" culture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My personal preference is to start early in the week...eg Tuesady. That way you get into a routine before your first Sunday...when all the shops will be closed!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Angelab,

Thanks so much for your helpful message :)

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back