• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best earplugs

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Everyone needs earplugs on the Camino (and for us Aussies to use on the plane getting over there). There are many types on the market, but I've yet to find some that are really effective. Advice needed!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I purchase these from Walgreens and have been very happy with them. They block out snoring on the camino and when I wake up in the morning and remove them I am astounded at all the activity around me...pilgrims walking about and lots of bag rustling that I didn't hear. (I didn't pay nearly this much though...approx. 6 pair came in a case for about $7.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-03-04-41-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-11-03-04-41-40.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 139
Through both work experience and on Camino, I've found that earplugs that insert into the ear canal can cause irritation with repeated use, not to mention the need to readjust throughout the night. The reusable, moldable silicone earplugs (commonly referred to as swimmer's ear plugs, example linked below) don't insert into the ear canal, rather they fill up the outer ear (concha).

Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have used these earplugs on my last two Caminios. I am a side sleeper and they have not caused me any irritation. They do include a spare in case of loss, but I have not lost one yet.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D:cool:

I have used these earplugs on my last two Caminios. I am a side sleeper and they have not caused me any irritation. They do include a spare in case of loss, but I have not lost one yet.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D:cool:
I have tried this type before but the stem sticking out bothered my rather flat ears on the pillow. I did cut it off which helped.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have tried this type before but the stem sticking out bothered my rather flat ears on the pillow. I did cut it off which helped.
FYI, the pictures don't show the stem in the ear, but that little stem is there for removal of the earplug from your ear. The stem is supposed to be on the top. It is inside you ear, and lays against your ear canal. Maybe I am pushing them into far, but they do not stick out. They are easy to remove with the stem. The stem is soft, and made of the same material which is very pliable.

I favour Laser Lite foam ones

1572782720488.png

used to be issued with them at work for construction site use. Comfortable and have never fallen out while sleeping with them in. Wash after use but remember to change them regularly as they can be a breeding ground for nasties (we were told 5 days max even if you wash them after every use).

With regards to your fights to and from Oz consider noise cancelling earbuds. I use BOSE over the earphones on trains and planes but they'd be too clunky to carry with you on the Camino. BOSE, Sony and Jabra all make good in ear phones but make sure they're matched to your device: ipod and android can be different - you may even want to try sleeping in a noisy albergue in them!

Mind you good can also mean expensive, although considering the fact that you'll be spending what? 48 hours subjected to the best efforts of General Electrics or Rolls Royce to keep you from sleeping and "expensive" becomes a relative term!

Jeff, I think these are the exact same ones I use. Probably the same manufacturer as the shape and the pink and yellow colors are one and the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve slept with a loud snorer for forty years. Go to an audiologist (doctor for hearing aids) and get fitted for custom made earplugs. They aren’t cheap. I paid USD140, but they are wonderful. When I walk the Camino I sleep with a tiny net bag tied to a ribbon around my neck so that the moment I wake up I can have a place to store them. I treat them like gold! Then I roll the ribbon around the bag and store in pack until the following night! Worked for two caminos so far.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I favour Laser Lite foam ones

View attachment 66450

used to be issued with them at work for construction site use. Comfortable and have never fallen out while sleeping with them in. Wash after use but remember to change them regularly as they can be a breeding ground for nasties (we were told 5 days max even if you wash them after every use).

With regards to your fights to and from Oz consider noise cancelling earbuds. I use BOSE over the earphones on trains and planes but they'd be too clunky to carry with you on the Camino. BOSE, Sony and Jabra all make good in ear phones but make sure they're matched to your device: ipod and android can be different - you may even want to try sleeping in a noisy albergue in them!

Mind you good can also mean expensive, although considering the fact that you'll be spending what? 48 hours subjected to the best efforts of General Electrics or Rolls Royce to keep you from sleeping and "expensive" becomes a relative term!
I have also used the Laser Lite ear plugs in construction and on the Camino for 80 nights (total) of sound sleep. I always take extra to share with the unfortunates who f
orgot...

After trial and error we recommend the mouldable silicon plugs for comfort and silence. But luckily on the VdlP we are finding ourselves alone in the alburgue so need. Maybe when we get closer to Santiago they’ll get used more.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have used the pink wax ones I buy in Madrid at the Corte Ingles. they work for me
I also bought some pink, I think silicone ones, in Leon I think. A couple of euros and 4 in a small clear box. Very effective , only problem no chance of hearing an alarm.

I have worn these on many a Camino and many times all day. I work in the printing industry and I can tell you these are the most comfortable and best I have ever used.

1573314750527.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Product called Isolate by Flare Audio, bought a pair for my first camino, absolutely incredible, I still use to this day, well worth the investment.

With the foam earplugs, I didn't think they were very good until I actually read the instructions on the packet where they say to twist them and then insert them into your ears. After that they worked a treat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Through both work experience and on Camino, I've found that earplugs that insert into the ear canal can cause irritation with repeated use, not to mention the need to readjust throughout the night. The reusable, moldable silicone earplugs (commonly referred to as swimmer's ear plugs, example linked below) don't insert into the ear canal, rather they fill up the outer ear (concha).

I agree, the Mack's are very comfortable for long term use and work great.

I swear by these earplugs! Industrial strength and a lifesaver👂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sounds like (no pun intended) the noise blocking capability may be more important to you than cost, so I have to second Judy J's recommendation to look into custom-made earplugs. I too paid in the vicinity of $140 US for a pair within the past year. I recommend visiting an audiologist and avoiding budget options such as through the hearing services provided by some big box stores.

Be sure to tell the audiologist that you will use them primarily for sleeping in noisy environments. He/she will make an ear mold that will fit perfectly on your outer ear and into your ear canal. Thus, you will get both excellent noise reduction and comfort.

Do not pay extra for the small handles built onto the outside of plugs to facilitate insertion and removal. They are not really necessary and will increase inward pressure on the ear plug if you sleep on your side. I bought mine initially for protection during target shooting and got them with the handles for convenience -- I will save $15 on the next pair and get them without.

I have used the silicone ear plugs referenced above. They are cheap and somewhat effective (i.e., not as effective as the custom made plugs), but had a tendency to drop out. Being soft and moldable, they are also tacky and so they are lint magnets that cannot be cleaned effectively. If one hits the albergue floor [shudder], you will want to toss it out. In the US, the most common brand is Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Ear Plugs and they can be found on Amazon (package of six for about $4 US).

Everyone needs earplugs on the Camino (and for us Aussies to use on the plane getting over there). There are many types on the market, but I've yet to find some that are really effective. Advice needed!

A pair of digital hearing aids. Okay, maybe not for everyone ;) I turn them off at night and rest peacefully. Next morning people ask: "did you hear all of the burping, snoring and farting last night? I can reply: " No, I may have been contributing but I didn't hear anything. :):)

I just ordered a few pair to try! My ears jave been irritated, and one infection trying foam ones. Spent $$ on hard noise canceling that were unusable. Thought I had exhausted all options

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just ordered a few pair to try! My ears jave been irritated, and one infection trying foam ones. Spent $$ on hard noise canceling that were unusable. Thought I had exhausted all options
I've used silicone pliable ear plugs that swimmers use, worked well for me.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.