• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best of both worlds

Jstevo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014; Le Puy 2016; Pilg Way 2019; Haervejn 2022
Hi I am planning on doing the walk from France in may 2014 and would like to experience the comraderie and friendship of the refuges, and enjoy sitting around at meal times sharing stories, but at the same time am such a light sleeper I don't want to share a dormitory style accommodation. I'm quite happy to pay extra for a private room. Maybe a pension or b&b style would be better suited? Or would the refuges have private rooms? I've hiked many times in the Himalayas and the tea house style seems to offer the best of both worlds. Any advice gratefully received. :p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Perhaps you should post this in the section of the route you are planning to do - from Paris, Le Puy, Vezelay, Arles, Narbonne etc.
I have only done one long French route (from Paris) and there were no albergues to speak of until we reached Ostabat in the South.
On the shorter route (from Lourdes) there were a couple of very small places for pilgrims and hikers.
Some of the routes have Gites but these can be upmarket B&B's or small hiker's cabins. Most have to be booked ahead so take a cell phone!

Hi I am planning on doing the walk from France in may 2014 and would like to experience the comraderie and friendship of the refuges, and enjoy sitting around at meal times sharing stories, but at the same time am such a light sleeper I don't want to share a dormitory style accommodation. I'm quite happy to pay extra for a private room. Maybe a pension or b&b style would be better suited? Or would the refuges have private rooms? I've hiked many times in the Himalayas and the tea house style seems to offer the best of both worlds. Any advice gratefully received. :p
I have a couple of thoughts: One, I'm also a light sleeper, but I found that with a good (not foam rubber) set of ear plugs, being exhausted from the day's walk and then a good meal high in carbohydrates, I had no trouble sleeping.
Two, I walked from Montserrat through Catalunya and Aragon where I was completely alone until Logrono (my keyboard doesn't have a tilde for the 'n'). I stayed in pensions, hostels, and albergues where they were available, and enjoyed the solitude. But then when I joined the French route in Logrono I found walking companions and enjoyed the albergues with them immensely.
And finally, I was in one albergue where a couple, who were not registered there, tried to use the kitchen facilities and join in the group atmosphere, and were politely but firmly told that the use of the albergue was for registered guests only. Some pilgrims eat at restaurants and of course you could join them there, but that gets expensive so it's not a normal occurrence.
Bottom line - I'd get a good set of earplugs (I bought mine at a gun store where there was a wide variety) and enjoy the albergues.

DeMar
http://thepilgrimwalker.blogspot.com/
Sauntering to Santiago (at Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords.com)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back