• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best spots to buy camino gear in London?

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hi folks!
I'm looking to embark on my first camino in september this year :) i've noticed in video reviews and gear advice lots of camino-goers have links to REI gear/merino products. Obviously ordering online is possible, but i like to be able to check gear out in store if i can - can anyone recommend hiking stores in London (UK)?
Thanks very much!
J

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thing is - you don't need any "hiking" clothing or kit that has a premier label on it - you could even go as you usually dress, but, Decathlon is in London, five stores - though the Kensington one doesn't have the "country pursuits" aisle (which is hunting clothing - all brown khaki but much cheaper than the hiking aisles) as it is a cramped store. I rate Decathlon clothing etc except that their footwear is narrow and their rucksacks, although well made, are on the heavy side. Also, they only sell their own brands - they do have a brilliant rain poncho, like the Altus but under £40 with a 5000 head serious waterproofing! and has underarm zips too.

There is a Go Outdoors - great products as they sell many brands so good variety - but is down at Kingston upon Thames so depends upon where you are.

There are plenty of Mountain Warehouse, Millets, Blacks, etc - just google map London and put it in after clicking "nearby".

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi folks!
I'm looking to embark on my first camino in september this year :) i've noticed in video reviews and gear advice lots of camino-goers have links to REI gear/merino products. Obviously ordering online is possible, but i like to be able to check gear out in store if i can - can anyone recommend hiking stores in London (UK)?
Thanks very much!
J
Some of us here undertook our early caminos with whatever gear we had. Ex-army rucksacks and boots were pretty popular once at a time when Army-Surpus stores were ubiquitous. They are rare these days and tend to be populated by people who won't quite meet your eye.

Mountain Warehouse, Millets, Blacks, Cotswold Outdoor, even that foreign invader Decathalon will provide everything that you could possibly need to walk a camino. You may even find that, apart from a 35 litre Rucksack and a lightweight sleeping bag, your own wardrobe and knicker drawer contain all you need. You'll be walking from village to village in a very civilised country.. If you are not already a walker get some good walking shoes that fit your feet and start walking. If you are already a walker just take a look at the tread remaining on your walking boots / shoes and calculate whether they're good for another 500 miles ;)

Last edited:
Echoing what the others have suggested.. plus given you are heading out in September , quick drying cheap running tops are fine. Your sleeping bag only needs to pack down well... 2-3 season variety are reasonably priced. I bought a very cheap 55l backpack a number of years before I pondered a Camino and although the brand is aimed at DOE ( Duke of Edinburgh awards ) it has served me well.

Don't spend too much on gear you might use once. If as I suspect you enjoy yourself, you might be back here fine tuning your requirements next year

Thing is - you don't need any "hiking" clothing or kit that has a premier label on it - you could even go as you usually dress, but, Decathlon is in London, five stores - though the Kensington one doesn't have the "country pursuits" aisle (which is hunting clothing - all brown khaki but much cheaper than the hiking aisles) as it is a cramped store. I rate Decathlon clothing etc except that their footwear is narrow and their rucksacks, although well made, are on the heavy side. Also, they only sell their own brands - they do have a brilliant rain poncho, like the Altus but under £40 with a 5000 head serious waterproofing! and has underarm zips too.

There is a Go Outdoors - great products as they sell many brands so good variety - but is down at Kingston upon Thames so depends upon where you are.

There are plenty of Mountain Warehouse, Millets, Blacks, etc - just google map London and put it in after clicking "nearby".
Thanks very much David, really appreciate it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some of us here undertook our early caminos with whatever gear we had. Ex-army rucksacks and boots were pretty popular once at a time when Army-Surpus stores were ubiquitous. They are rare these days and tend to be populated by people who won't quite meet your eye.

Mountain Warehouse, Millets, Blacks, Cotswold Outdoor, even that foreign invader Decathalon will provide everything that you could possibly need to walk a camino. You may even find that, apart from a 35 litre Rucksack and a lightweight sleeping bag, your own wardrobe and knicker drawer contain all you need. You'll be walking from village to village in a very civilised country.. If you are not already a walker get some good walking shoes that fit your feet and start walking. If you are already a walker just take a look at the tread remaining on your walking boots / shoes and calculate whether they're good for another 500 miles ;)
Hey tincatinker - thanks so much, great to hear! I'll have to get a new pair of shoes but i'll see what clothes already have that can be useful - cheers!

Echoing what the others have suggested.. plus given you are heading out in September , quick drying cheap running tops are fine. Your sleeping bag only needs to pack down well... 2-3 season variety are reasonably priced. I bought a very cheap 55l backpack a number of years before I pondered a Camino and although the brand is aimed at DOE ( Duke of Edinburgh awards ) it has served me well.

Don't spend too much on gear you might use once. If as I suspect you enjoy yourself, you might be back here fine tuning your requirements next year
Hi Markie6, thanks very much, great to hear!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You also need less than you think you do. That extra pair of socks you thought you'd take just incase - you'll never use.

Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock in Covent Garden do more pricey stuff. Silverman's in Mile End probably do the most authentic surplus kit.

But as already said, for a Camino you won't need to pack for a wilderness through hike.

To my considerable surprise Mountain Warehouse are keen to employ people who know about their products, so that’s a ‘mass market’s suggestion.

I live close to one of the highest concentrations of outdoor shops in the UK, Ambleside; and with a few honourable exceptions, the majority will sell you kit sufficient for the Alps even if all you want to do is stroll through the lanes.

You’re probably better with the Blacks, Cotswold etc. so long as you have good footwear and a well-fitted rucksack, the rest is straightforward.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wear my ‘normal’ dog-walking clothes on Camino - cargo-style shorts and long pants with plenty of pockets and cheap tee shirts, plus a much-loved Altus poncho, probably the only piece of actual gear I’ve bought. I wear Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes pretty much all the time so no change there.

Some of us here undertook our early caminos with whatever gear we had.;)
Absolutely. You don't need anything special. For my 1st Camino I only bought what I didn't own. Rucksack (from Lidl!), walking boots and walking sticks. The rest was from my wardrobe.
Otherwise, in London, there are Ellis Brigham, the North face, Cotswold outdoors and others.

If you are a member of any of the following:
National Trust;
Camping and Caravan Club;
Ramblers;
Boundless (Civil Service Motoring Assoc);
and I assume several others,
..... you qualify for 10 or 15% discount at Cotswold Outdoor, including its subsidiary Snow and Rock.

As others have said, only footwear choice really requires expert advice and different (perhaps more expensive) gear to that which you might use at home already.
Everything else is a three-way trade off between lightness, effectiveness (how waterproof, breathable, quick-drying,.....) and price.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
#Domigee
I did the same and first set out with Lidl rucksack and shoes. Over the years I invested in better shoes that suit my feet and an Osprey rucksack that fits me.
Agree with the others, fast drying, light clothing is best. Look at Berghaus and Rohan on-line Sales.

On Camino you will see many Decathlon own brands - Forclaz and Quechua. On the Europeans. Says it all really. look at their cheap but good own brand ki and follow the other suggestions.
quick drying, don’t cry too much if misplaced kit is the Camino way from what I saw.

Mountain Warehouse are excellent and also Go Outdoors and often you can pick up great gear in TK Maxx and also in sales. Sports shops too, there are many places.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I have the money I go to Cotswold, when not, more usually, Sports Direct. Decathlon is the best all round and they have stores all over Spain with everything you could possibly need. Shoes, pack and rain jacket are worth paying for, the rest is nice to have but not important. Except in winter ...

I concur about premium kit is not needed. An entire cottage industry has sprung up around suggesting that premium gear is needed for the Camino, it is. People walked in in the Middle Ages, so I think that we will be fine with non-tier one gear.

That said, I am a gear addict, so can be a little guilty, though I keep it in check and in fact like to use re-purposed items. I posted here as the MT 900 Poncho from Decathlon is brilliant. I skimmed by the first two-thirds of the CF with just a cheap dollar store poncho, it just spit a couple of times… then in (I think) Leon I was in a Decathlon and fell in love with the MT900 poncho, though it is 500 grams…the design is great. Entering Galicia, I had a couple of days, then the last stretch to Finisterre, the rain was Biblical in scale, and I was happy to have it.

Also, IMO, don’t bring top tier clothing. A $40. fleece will keep you as warm, or not, as a $300 Arc’teryx item. There is the additional reduction in stress, as when in an Albergue and my clothes are on the line…I know that my ‘Amazon Basics’ clothing will still be on the line after all the Rab and Arc’teryx clothing has grown legs and walked away on their own.

Decathlon sell merino knickers and underpants. They are incredibly comfortable, wash and dry really quickly and don't hold moisture or rub like cotton ones. I completely agree that your 'normal' kit does fine for most purposes, but undergarments I think are different. I recommend merino very strongly, after wearing these Decathlon ones from Santander to Finisterre, and then more recently from Ferrol to Finisterre and Muxia. Or is that too much information ?!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Merino is best but so expensive. Performance synthetic is much cheaper and perfect for warm-weather Camino's, but it you're walking in winter you need a layer next to your skin to absorb moisture, otherwise on hills perspiration will chill you to the bone. If only I could afford it ... So if your merinos vanish from an albergue clothesline, look no further (no, not you, FionaEv, I still have some decency left)

I concur about premium kit is not needed. An entire cottage industry has sprung up around suggesting that premium gear is needed for the Camino, it is. People walked in in the Middle Ages, so I think that we will be fine with non-tier one gear.

That said, I am a gear addict, so can be a little guilty, though I keep it in check and in fact like to use re-purposed items. I posted here as the MT 900 Poncho from Decathlon is brilliant. I skimmed by the first two-thirds of the CF with just a cheap dollar store poncho, it just spit a couple of times… then in (I think) Leon I was in a Decathlon and fell in love with the MT900 poncho, though it is 500 grams…the design is great. Entering Galicia, I had a couple of days, then the last stretch to Finisterre, the rain was Biblical in scale, and I was happy to have it.

Also, IMO, don’t bring top tier clothing. A $40. fleece will keep you as warm, or not, as a $300 Arc’teryx item. There is the additional reduction in stress, as when in an Albergue and my clothes are on the line…I know that my ‘Amazon Basics’ clothing will still be on the line after all the Rab and Arc’teryx clothing has grown legs and walked away on their own.
Thanks very much, all noted! I am also a gear addict in other areas of my life (musician), so didn't want to go to gear crazy setting out for my first Camino! Will have a look at that Poncho. Cheers, Jaya

Decathlon sell merino knickers and underpants. They are incredibly comfortable, wash and dry really quickly and don't hold moisture or rub like cotton ones. I completely agree that your 'normal' kit does fine for most purposes, but undergarments I think are different. I recommend merino very strongly, after wearing these Decathlon ones from Santander to Finisterre, and then more recently from Ferrol to Finisterre and Muxia. Or is that too much information ?!
Hi Fiona, thanks Decathlon trip is on the list!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.