• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Between the Path and the Way: A 1000 Mile Journal

Lea Page

Between the Path and the Way: A 1000 Mile Journal
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
VF (2022)
HI all,

I am a writer from Montana, USA with a recent article in the Guardian about walking the Via Francigena:

And a new book! Whimsical at first glance and reminiscent of the old-fashioned Book of Days, it is a study in the joys of being present and paying attention.
B0CCCHQ5J2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

From the back cover:
"Between the Path and the Way is an open-hearted account of one woman’s journey across the ever-changing landscape of the Via Francigena. Less travelled than the well-known Camino de Santiago, the Via Francigena begins in Canterbury and ends in Rome, with another leg stretching to Santa Maria di Leuca in the heel of Italy’s “boot,” but as Page discovers, beginnings and endings don’t always conform to maps or plans. Her walk takes her by the canals and flower-festooned villages of France, along terraced vineyards above the shore of Lac Leman in Switzerland, over the Great Saint Bernard Pass in the Alps, down into the flat rice fields of the Po River valley in Italy, over more mountains to reach the Tyrrhenian Sea and through the misty-morning hills of Tuscany.

Unsatisfied with previous attempts at journaling, Page commits herself to keeping a bullet journal, a more visual and abbreviated method: lists and phrases instead of sentences and paragraphs.
Inspired by a quote from the poet, Charles Simic, “Be brief, and tell us everything,” she allows herself one page per day. By “collecting” moments, images, and snippets of conversation for her journal, by noticing seemingly small and mundane details as she walks, the world—so full of beauty, humor and kindness—opens up to her, or maybe it is the other way around.

Page artfully captures each day’s surprises, challenges and delights in a one-page journal entry which, together, create a testament to just how far moments of beauty and kindness can carry a person—a story not of seeking, but of paying attention."

Between the Path and the Way can be found on Amazon in paperback or Kindle edition.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HI all,

I am a writer from Montana, USA with a recent article in the Guardian about walking the Via Francigena:

And a new book! Whimsical at first glance and reminiscent of the old-fashioned Book of Days, it is a study in the joys of being present and paying attention.
View attachment 156088

From the back cover:
"Between the Path and the Way is an open-hearted account of one woman’s journey across the ever-changing landscape of the Via Francigena. Less travelled than the well-known Camino de Santiago, the Via Francigena begins in Canterbury and ends in Rome, with another leg stretching to Santa Maria di Leuca in the heel of Italy’s “boot,” but as Page discovers, beginnings and endings don’t always conform to maps or plans. Her walk takes her by the canals and flower-festooned villages of France, along terraced vineyards above the shore of Lac Leman in Switzerland, over the Great Saint Bernard Pass in the Alps, down into the flat rice fields of the Po River valley in Italy, over more mountains to reach the Tyrrhenian Sea and through the misty-morning hills of Tuscany.

Unsatisfied with previous attempts at journaling, Page commits herself to keeping a bullet journal, a more visual and abbreviated method: lists and phrases instead of sentences and paragraphs.
Inspired by a quote from the poet, Charles Simic, “Be brief, and tell us everything,” she allows herself one page per day. By “collecting” moments, images, and snippets of conversation for her journal, by noticing seemingly small and mundane details as she walks, the world—so full of beauty, humor and kindness—opens up to her, or maybe it is the other way around.

Page artfully captures each day’s surprises, challenges and delights in a one-page journal entry which, together, create a testament to just how far moments of beauty and kindness can carry a person—a story not of seeking, but of paying attention."

Between the Path and the Way can be found on Amazon in paperback or Kindle edition.
I like this because I have often thought of producing a " booklet of days " in a format of a poem one page and a photo the next. Never got round to it but its always there and it is nice to see someone doing something similar, Good luck and Buen Camino.

Samarkand.

Your post reminded me of the quote ‘I’d have written you a shorter letter but I didn’t have time’. The constraint of a single page really makes you consentrate on the important parts. Congratulations on an amazing journey and subsequent book!

Hi Lea, You are so brave to publish your journal. I'd be afraid to put my heart out there. And your days are so beautifully described and written. Even though I read your pages day by day while you walked, (Did I ever thank you for posting them?), I'm buying a hard copy to put with my camino books. And I'm getting my sister a copy too. đŸŒ»

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your post reminded me of the quote ‘I’d have written you a shorter letter but I didn’t have time’. The constraint of a single page really makes you consentrate on the important parts. Congratulations on an amazing journey and subsequent book!
Yes-- I remember that too, now that you remind me. And thank you. :D

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.