• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz to Saint Jean - Express Bourricot or public transport?

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys!

As I was asking for more details on how to get from the airport to St Jean, many people were talking about Express Bourricot, I didn't really consider it right away, and thought to keep it as a plan B.
However, it just seems so much easier, and less fuss and drama to take this service for only an additional 10 euro, and it just takes you directly from A to B (I understand prices may vary, depending on how full the van/bus is).
Also, so many people talking about trains being suspended for either weather or strike issues, on what it seems, a regular bases!

So, I guess what I'm asking is: can we clear up here: can I buy the Express Bourricot ticket AT THE AIRPORT or not? I've read one person say that I 'must' buy it online, and I've read another one, saying that buying it at the airport can be actually cheaper?

All advice on which option to take - generally, public transport or Express Bourricot is all very welcome!

Thank you in advance!
Sophia

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have only used Express Bourricot from Bayonne, but I'm sure it's the same process.
You book online.

If you try to get a ticket at the Airport, the van might already be full.

I'm fairly sure there is no ticket office at the Airport!

They are just a small taxi service.

Express Bourricot will only take you if you have booked online, the cost relates to the number of passengers using that particular mini bus/taxi. I have found them very reliable and the journey time is a lot quicker.
There website will give you all the information and you can actually check the number of passengers on the one you are taking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Send an email to: contact@expressbourricot.com and if you get the same excellent and swift response from Thierry that I did, you will get an immediate idea of the cost - something that will depend on the number of bookings for that particular flight arrival.
You can then confirm your booking by email and pay the driver in cash - no credit cards accepted.
Euros 21 or less, if four people or more are sharing, is a great deal IMHO.

Send E-B an email providing location for pick up, time and date. Caroline or Maialen will likely respond rather quickly. I dealt with both of them in the last couple of weeks.

If considering a Plan B, find out when a flight arrives in Biarritz from London / Paris etc. Stand outside the airport doors and ask each person with a back pack if they are going to SJPP. Once there are 4 of you, start talking with the taxi drivers, negotiate a price (100 - 130 euro) and split the cost. You will be in SJPP in an hour.

I did this two years ago.

The advantages are, you meet 3 new people right away. If there is an experienced person in the group, they can quickly guide all to the Pilgrim Office. That will get you onto Rue Ciradelle where there is a church, gear store and many hostels / restaurants.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am arriving in Biarritz late Tuesday evening. I have a reservation in Bayonne. The train to from CDG was too early for my flight.I was wondering if I should cancel it and go straight to SJPDP , I do not have a place and it will be late. Thanks for any advice.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back