• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Auberge Borda

SarahTheKiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning 2024 Camino Frances
Hi I'm walking from SJPDP on 24 April 2024 and I'm keen to get a booking that night at Borda. (My intention is to shorten the first day from SJPDP). I can see Borda is taking bookings at the moment as far as October 2023, so is it my understanding correct that they only take bookings 2 months in advance? I can't quite glean the information from their website. Sorry if this is a silly question!

Also does anyone have experience of what happens to a Borda / Orrison booking if the Napolean is closed due to weather? Refund or tough luck? Also what happens if you are staying at Borda / Orrison and the weather is too inclement to leave in the morning (ie snow)? I'm guessing it's not easy to switch to the Valcarlos road in that case? Again sorry these are newbie questions - just trying to figure out the most suitable options, especially picking safe options.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
they are only open from 1 April to 31 October. Are you sure you put in 2024? (Sometimes they autocorrect as well) Otherwise probably best to email them.

It looks like Borda hasn't opened their bookings for next year yet. They have a WhatsApp link on their site. I would send them a WhatsApp message or email them to ask when you can book for April.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can see Borda is taking bookings at the moment as far as October 2023, so is it my understanding correct that they only take bookings 2 months in advance?
They take bookings for the whole season. You are too early for 2024 but if it is important to you you can contact them directly (email, phone etc) for a booking in 2024.

Also does anyone have experience of what happens to a Borda / Orrison booking if the Napolean is closed due to weather? Refund or tough luck?
No refund. It says so in their Sales terms: You can cancel your reservation free of charge up to 7 days before arrival. You will have to pay the full amount of the reservation if you cancel within 7 days of arrival. If you do not show up, a no-show fee equivalent to the cancellation fee will apply.

Also what happens if you are staying at Borda / Orrison and the weather is too inclement to leave in the morning (ie snow)? I'm guessing it's not easy to switch to the Valcarlos road in that case?
Highly unlikely to happen between April and October. Both Orisson and Borda are on a tarmac road and at a low altitude of 800 m or so. Snowfall that is so intense and heavy that the road is blocked for motorised traffic is not likely and the road gets cleared. You can always leave and walk back to SJPP. Problems for pilgrims can arise higher up - either fresh new snow or still too much old snow left from the winter season. That part of the Route Napoleon is on dirt tracks and does not get cleared of snow.

What Borda and Orisson do when it is not recommended to continue on the Camino trail and it is at short notice and unexpected: After breakfast, they transport their guests by car to Valcarlos so that they can continue from there.

Last edited:
What Borda and Orisson do when it is not recommended to continue on the Camino trail and it is at short notice and unexpected: After breakfast, they transport their guests by car to Valcarlos so that they can continue from there.
Thanks Kathar1na. This is good information that I did not have.

Thanks Kathar1na. This is good information that I did not have.
It (transport to Valcarlos) is not mentioned in their sales conditions but pilgrims have reported this numerous times. It has to be severe weather for crossing over the Lepoeder pass - not just bad weather.

People should know that the trail over the Lepoeder pass never gets officially closed by anyone during 1 April to 31 October. This does not mean, however, that the trail is passable at all times from 1 April to 31 October. There is always confusion about this on the forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I'm walking from SJPDP on 24 April 2024 and I'm keen to get a booking that night at Borda. (My intention is to shorten the first day from SJPDP). I can see Borda is taking bookings at the moment as far as October 2023, so is it my understanding correct that they only take bookings 2 months in advance? I can't quite glean the information from their website. Sorry if this is a silly question!

Also does anyone have experience of what happens to a Borda / Orrison booking if the Napolean is closed due to weather? Refund or tough luck? Also what happens if you are staying at Borda / Orrison and the weather is too inclement to leave in the morning (ie snow)? I'm guessing it's not easy to switch to the Valcarlos road in that case? Again sorry these are newbie questions - just trying to figure out the most suitable options, especially picking safe options.
Send an email to Borda. The owner is responsive. If Napolean route is closed they can help arrange for a taxi. Do go ahead and reserve at one of those places regardless! They are wonderful and you will likely meet your first pilgrimage family peeps.

Thank you everyone for your help. Very handy to know about the weather aspects/alternatives too! It is interesting planning when I don't know the "lay of the land". After Pamplona I will be free ranging, but the earlier accomodation is going to be planned.

I have contacted Laurent at Borda and I can make my booking from some time in December. So exciting! 😁

Thank you everyone for your help. Very handy to know about the weather aspects/alternatives too! It is interesting planning when I don't know the "lay of the land". After Pamplona I will be free ranging, but the earlier accomodation is going to be planned.

I have contacted Laurent at Borda and I can make my booking from some time in December. So exciting! 😁
Watch the weather forecast in the 2-3 days before you leave for the first 1-2 days walking over the pass. I walked at the start of May 2022, forecast was for snow. Packed an old set of thermals, in the end not needed as rain overnight had washed most of the snow off the paths. Although 2 days before local mountain rescue pulled a lady from the pass in flip-flops and shorts suffering from hypothermia. Donated the thermals at Roncevalles to a chap doing the route in reverse.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Whatever the circumstances a stay at Borda will not be a wasted experience. I am now at Astorga and still appreciate the wisdom of the Borda hospitalero and the camaraderie of the first night on my walk

Check Facebook for the Borda page - they will announce there when they are taking reservations for the 2024 season. I think they started taking reservations in late November for the 2023 season.

I have contacted them about my booking request for May of 2024. They are going to open up their 2024 reservations in December.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Great questions! I’m not quite a “newbie” but have the same concerns. 👣🎒💕

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.