• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Auberge Borda

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Good Morning all,

Has anyone stayed at the Albergue Borda 1.5km further on from Orrison on the Napoleon route, if so details would be appreciated.

TIA

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Haven't stayed there but heard good things about it.
Here's the details.

I stayed there and it was a good albergue. With a communal meal and at the dinnertable everyone is invited to introduce him/herself and their motivation ( which can take awhile, due to translation. When I stayed there the common language was english, but everything was translated in french for the 3 french pilgrims)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed in 2021 and it is still one of my most memorable experiences, the beds and facilities where magnificent and as much as I was not really a big fan of sharing my motivation for walking I found it very spiritual and made some great friendships that will remain with me…I cannot recommend it enough, also as a side note I stopped at Orrison for lunch and a few beers before I finished for the day, the whole day was a great start at a very relaxed pace to soak up the Camino at its best ❤️ enjoy your time with Laurent a fantastic host who made it so special his love of his project flows from him and it’s great listening to his vision and how he achieved it 👍

We stayed there in the fall of 2023, a great experience! Laurent is very kind, makes a tasty meal, and he responds quickly through email. You can take a break at Orrison on the way, as you can’t check in until 3. It books up quickly though, so make your booking as soon as you know your dates. He does have one private room if that is your preference. Highly recommended!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed there in May, 2023. Each room has 4 curtained beds, no upper bunks. These have reading lights and power outlets. Each room also has a private bathroom. There’s a storage room for shoes, poles, and packs. Only your necessary items go into the albergue, in a provided tote. Lauren is a former chef and provides a very tasty meal.

Good Morning all,

Has anyone stayed at the Albergue Borda 1.5km further on from Orrison on the Napoleon route, if so details would be appreciated.

TIA
slept there in 2022. Very nice hostel with a total of 14 beds, including one private room, otherwise 3 rooms (with private bathroom) with 4 beds each, but everyone has their privacy. Shared dinner (and breakfast). 2022 exactly the same price as Orisson. Very popular, so book in advance. In 2022 this was done via email. The hostel can also be booked via booking.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good Morning all,

TIA
I stayed there in August 2021. It's fantastic! It had only opened up a few months previously. Curtains on the bunks, lounge area, washing facilities and food, hospitality was awesome.

Stayed at the Albergue Borda in August 2023. It was the benchmark for accommodation and hospitality over the next 30days. Laurent was an excellent host and he provided facilities of a very high standard. The company of the other guests included, I could not have enjoyed a more inspirational start to my journey. If you are able to get a bed there you will be very lucky.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Stayed there in April, 2023. It was the high point of my Camino last year. The beds, the facilities, the meals, the host, and of course the views, were all absolutely top notch.
If I was to walk the CF one more time, I would make my reservation there 1st and plan everything else around it, including my flights.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Concurring with everyone who stayed at Borda and enjoyed the experience. I stayed there in May 2022 and it was one of my favorite albergue experiences of my entire Camino. Several of the folks who were there at the same time remained walking companions for the rest of my walk to Santiago, and a few of us participate in an "Albergue Borda" chat group on WhatsApp that we still keep in touch on. Definitely make a reservation if you can!

Thanks to this forum, I have a booking at the beginning of April! I am really looking forward to staying there and starting my Camino on the slower side.
Blessings all and buen camino!
Buen Camino, Caminoelle.
I'm just wanting to raise your awareness that there is a possibility that the Napoleon Route can still be closed in early April if the weather is still snowy. I mention this so you can casually explore the alternate route via Valcarlos in case you need it.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Caminoelle We stayed in Borda on Oct 5 2023. Laurent or Lorenzo, as he wanted us to call him, initially came across as a rather stern schoolmaster on the first day of school 😁 But he's actually a nice guy. He'll tell you the story of how he acquired the property and converted what used to be a shepherd's shed into the albergue. He has also done the CF and knows what peregrinos are all about. IMHO, he deserves our support since his is the only other albergue on between SJPP and Roncesvalles along the Napoleon Route (I wish there was at least one more apart from Orisson) Plus, it's probably one of the best albergues on the CF based on my experience.

Stayed there in April, 2023. It was the high point of my Camino last year. The beds, the facilities, the meals, the host, and of course the views, were all absolutely top notch.
If I was to walk the CF one more time, I would make my reservation there 1st and plan everything else around it, including my flights.
Exactly what I have done. I have heard so many good things about this place that I didn't want to miss it. I can confirm that Laurent is very responsive with emails.

If you have booked a bed in Borda, you don't have to leave St Jean early. The albergue opens not before 3. Waiting outside is not a problem if the wearher is fine. When I stayed there it was cold, wet and foggy. If you arrive early you could stay for a drink in Orisson, the walk from there to Borda takes about 15 minutes ( as far
aS my memory goes)

If you have booked a bed in Borda, you don't have to leave St Jean early. The albergue opens not before 3. Waiting outside is not a problem if the wearher is fine. When I stayed there it was cold, wet and foggy. If you arrive early you could stay for a drink in Orisson, the walk from there to Borda takes about 15 minutes ( as far
aS my memory goes)
We did similar. A good way to get those legs used to walking again. Orisson is a great stopping place (I did stay there in 2020 - had the auberge to myself, very strange) and if the horses are around with their bells, that adds to the splendour of the scenery.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't stayed there, but have heard good things about it. If doing the CF again I would choose it over staying at Orisson again (not that there is anything particularly wrong with Orisson).
I stayed there, Oct 22, 2023. A nice, modern facility with stunning views, a great host and decent food. I met my first Camino family there, at the communal dinnrer, which was lovely. It's a great way to break up that very long first day from SJPdP to Roncevalles. I recommend it.

Buen Camino, Caminoelle.
I'm just wanting to raise your awareness that there is a possibility that the Napoleon Route can still be closed in early April if the weather is still snowy. I mention this so you can casually explore the alternate route via Valcarlos in case you need it.
This is certainly a possibility. Last year I stayed on 12. April on Borda and a snow storm was forcasted for the next day. Lorenzo gave us updates on the weather forcast during breakfast. We could choose to take the shuttle to Sjdp/Valcarlos and walk from there, or walk the Napoleon Route. Some people took the shuttle.
I walked the Napoleon with some other pelgrims. It was quite an experience! Snowstorm on the pass.
Staying in Borda is a great opportunity to meet other pelgrims and start your Camino without feeling lonely.
So don’t worry about the weather, there is an alternative avaliable if necesary.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good Morning all,

TIA
I have stayed there twice and have booked again for this September. The host Laurent is super and goes above and beyond to make the stay quite relaxing. The beds and facilities are quite comfortable and the pilgrims dinner is fantastic. We normally take the noon bus from Pamplona to SJPDP and then begin a leisurely afternoon walk to Borda. On the way we always stop for a drink at Orisson for the great views and respite before the final km. The next morning puts you out of the crowds for another relaxing day to Roncesvalles or beyond. Buen Camino.

I stayed there in May, 2023. Each room has 4 curtained beds, no upper bunks. These have reading lights and power outlets. Each room also has a private bathroom. There’s a storage room for shoes, poles, and packs. Only your necessary items go into the albergue, in a provided tote. Lauren is a former chef and provides a very tasty meal.
Do you remember if there were vegetarian options too?

Definitely when I was there in 2022. I can't remember whether it was an option or whether everybody ate vegetarian but I do remember it being delicious and plentiful.

Good Morning all,

TIA
I stayed there this past Oct 2023. It’s very nice, Laurence the owner very good, beautiful dormitory with privacy curtains, 4 bunk beds per room and gender designated WCs. However, Laurence gave a talk at dinner about the Camino Frances that irked me when he went on about how comercial and dirty and touristy Santiago is and that the real end of the Frances is in Finisterre. 3 Spaniards I was sitting with were shocked (I think he walked the Frances only 1 time, maybe during peak times which I personally have never walked) and I did comment that I disagreed given for me arriving in Santiago is my “arriving HOME”. But overall YES, stay there, book ahead and it’s a nice next day to Roncesvalles.

Good Morning all,

TIA
I stayed in Albergue Borda in April 2023. It was excellent. Food, wine, accommodation and host were 1st class. The place was spotless and very well organised. Would highly recommend.

I stayed in 2021 and it is still one of my most memorable experiences, the beds and facilities where magnificent and as much as I was not really a big fan of sharing my motivation for walking I found it very spiritual and made some great friendships that will remain with me…I cannot recommend it enough, also as a side note I stopped at Orrison for lunch and a few beers before I finished for the day, the whole day was a great start at a very relaxed pace to soak up the Camino at its best ❤️ enjoy your time with Laurent a fantastic host who made it so special his love of his project flows from him and it’s great listening to his vision and how he achieved it 👍
I agree. It was excellent !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.