• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refuge Orisson vs. Auberge Borda

guernica

Time of past OR future Camino
May & August 2023
I begin the Camino Frances from SJPdP on my birthday in mid-late May. Taking it relatively easy on the first day, so will stay at one of these two accommodations that night.

Auberge Borda seems to be of higher quality in terms of beds, facilities and food. However, Refuge Orisson seems to be a more social space. As it's my birthday, and I'll be walking solo, the social aspect rather than comfort is my priority. A hearty communal meal, much wine, and gregarious conversation are a must.

Am I correct in my assessment? Does one of them skew a little younger and/or more fun? Wanted to canvas your opinions and experiences before making the reservation. Thank you!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have only stayed at Orisson and not Borda but thoroughly enjoyed it including the communal dinner and breakfast and the huge ‘sandwich’ to take away. I stayed in touch with a couple of the people I met there through to Santiago although we didn’t walk together. There were all ages, and nationalities, lots of happy chatter and laughter. A great place to meet new friends and celebrate your birthday. Remember though that everyone is facing a strenuous walk the next day and the lights are very firmly turned off at 10 pm!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think for what you want Orisson will fit your needs best, it is more of a party atmosphere than Borda is by the sounds of things (although I will be in the Borda camp should I pass that way again).

The communal meal whilst low on quality was very social with I would guess 50+ people, of all ages, and from all over the world. There were many people who carried on long after dinner. The terrace is beautiful to sit and enjoy a beer before dinner - perfect for your birthday!

I begin the Camino Frances from SJPdP on my birthday in mid-late May. Taking it relatively easy on the first day, so will stay at one of these two accommodations that night.

Auberge Borda seems to be of higher quality in terms of beds, facilities and food. However, Refuge Orisson seems to be a more social space. As it's my birthday, and I'll be walking solo, the social aspect rather than comfort is my priority. A hearty communal meal, much wine, and gregarious conversation are a must.

Am I correct in my assessment? Does one of them skew a little younger and/or more fun? Wanted to canvas your opinions and experiences before making the reservation. Thank you!
I stayed at Orisson and loved it. It was very social, the communal dinner was really good and the hosts encouraged the diners to get up and introduce themselves, where they came from and why they are walking. You got to know a few people right away. The outdoor tables (across the road) were great for an afternoon beer!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Like some of the other responders, I’ve only stayed at Orisson. Just the once on my first Camino back in September 2017.
It was my first time in a mixed sex dorm…that was fine.

Luckily there were a few blankets to sleep under too. My lack of research meant that I didn’t have a sleeping bag at that point!! Luckily they had them for sale at Roncesvalles.

Then the communal dinner. I likes the idea of that, not so much the stand up and introduce yourself. However, everyone, including me, took part and I have to say that that was a key point for me.

It felt like the real start of MY Camino and starting to feel a part of the whole thing.

Here I am 7 years later typing this with just over a month to go before I fly to Almeria to start The Mozarabe route. It will be my 6th walk on Camino routes. Orisson obviously played a big part in all of those, indirectly anyway.

Which ever one you chose will be fine. Go for it. Enjoy it.

I loved Orrison. The communal dinner was great and I love how everyone introduced themselves. I’m still friends with someone I met at Orrison! I’ve visited him twice in the UK.
I have been at Orison and seen some undermined things by the owner. A seventeen-year-old Italian lad was late and even though he had a reservation the owner kicked him off the property. A few of us who were Italian rescued him he was crying it was getting dark. We asked him if he had money otherwise we would have paid for a taxi to send him forward to the the Albergue in Spain. We called the taxi and off he went. Very sad the owner has some issues. When I arrived in Spain the next day I enquired about the lad and they had taken care of him. That's what the Camino is about carrying.

I have stayed in both of them.
Both of them have communal meals, but the food and friendliness of the host at Borda is a lot better. Both have a lovely community feel to them. Borda has better beds and facilities though. A lot better. If I had to pick between the 2 of them, I would choose Borda every time. I made just as many friends and had a wonderful time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I stayed at Borda and had no trouble meeting people and making friends. Some of that happened naturally as we walked up to Borda from SJPP - we found ourselves walking with folks who we later stayed with at Borda. Others have mentioned the communal dinner, which we loved. The only other thing I'll mention is that Borda is small enough that one would have to really work at it to avoid other people :).

Which is closer to sjpp, in distance? I stayed at Orrisson 15 yrs ago & think there wasn't another choice until Ronsvalleous which I couldn't have walked to in one day.. I'm a slow walker.. Sorry about the spelling😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed at Borda on my birthday in 2023. I got a candle on my dessert and Happy Birthday sung in English and French. The host goes out of his way to provide a great stay. I also stopped at Orisson for lunch and great conversations. One small difference- I heard that Orisson does not have seats on the toilets. I can’t confirm that, but Borda definitely does have this added comfort!

Which is closer to sjpp, in distance? I stayed at Orrisson 15 yrs ago & think there wasn't another choice until Ronsvalleous which I couldn't have walked to in one day.. I'm a slow walker.. Sorry about the spelling😉
I think Borda is fairly new, so may very well have been not there 15 years ago. . .

I stayed at Borda on my birthday in 2023. I got a candle on my dessert and Happy Birthday sung in English and French. The host goes out of his way to provide a great stay. I also stopped at Orisson for lunch and great conversations. One small difference- I heard that Orisson does not have seats on the toilets. I can’t confirm that, but Borda definitely does have this added comfort!
Orisson does have seats on the toilets, or at least it did last September!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed at both and they both have communal dinners when you meet everyone, very friendly. I also liked the owners of both places.
Food was excellent in Borda and Orisson.
The only reason I booked Borda is that it was during Covid and I wanted a private room.
You'll be fine in either.

I only just spotted this thread and wondered, for a brief moment. whether Laurent (Lorenzo) and Jean-Jacques were lining up a “Mano a mano” for the territory. Seems instead that the forum is being asked to fill in for the scant entries on Tripeadvertiser

Both of them have communal meals, but the food and friendliness of the host at Borda is a lot better. Both have a lovely community feel to them. Borda has better beds and facilities though. A lot better. If I had to pick between the 2 of them, I would choose Borda every time. I made just as many friends and had a wonderful time.
I’d second this. Borda is new and smaller but very social. Also incredibly well designed, and the food was superb. I’ve stayed at Orisson several times, but Borda is my choice from here on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Definitely stay at Borda. You’ll meet plenty of people as you go —-Lauren the host is the best of the best one of my favorite nights ever.

I think for what you want Orisson will fit your needs best, it is more of a party atmosphere than Borda is by the sounds of things (although I will be in the Borda camp should I pass that way again).

The communal meal whilst low on quality was very social with I would guess 50+ people, of all ages, and from all over the world. There were many people who carried on long after dinner. The terrace is beautiful to sit and enjoy a beer before dinner - perfect for your birthday!
That pretty much sums up how I feel. I was not impressed with the bed situation at Orrison. There was no bed side or even in-room electricity. You had to go down the hall to a communal charging station and leave you phone there. Many times all the charging stations were full.

I was in a top bunk and it was painful for me to up and down the ladder. I learned next time to bring along sandals to climb the ladders (live and learn). I also did not like the shower which uses tokens (you get one token when you check in). The one I chose to use was not working properly and I had to get out of the shower and hit it to get it to work again. Doing this 3 times ate up much of my shower time. The bathrooms were small and oddly enough, none of the toilets had a toilet seat. You had to sit on the rim of the toilet bowl. Very odd!

The evening meal was OK and the communal spirit was fun. I met a lot of folks I saw on and off the entire way to Santiago. Breakfast goes fast, so get up early to get enough food and coffee. They ran out of coffee before I could get a second cup.

Next time I do the French Way, I plan to give Borda a try. The reviews I've read and folks that I met staying there are mostly positive.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. I was not impressed with the bed situation at Orrison. There was no bed side or even in-room electricity. You had to go down the hall to a communal charging station and leave you phone there. Many times all the charging stations were full.

I was in a top bunk and it was painful for me to up and down the ladder. I learned next time to bring along sandals to climb the ladders (live and learn). I also did not like the shower which uses tokens (you get one token when you check in). The one I chose to use was not working properly and I had to get out of the shower and hit it to get it to work again. Doing this 3 times ate up much of my shower time. The bathrooms were small and oddly enough, none of the toilets had a toilet seat. You had to sit on the rim of the toilet bowl. Very odd!

The evening meal was OK and the communal spirit was fun. I met a lot of folks I saw on and off the entire way to Santiago. Breakfast goes fast, so get up early to get enough food and coffee. They ran out of coffee before I could get a second cup.

Next time I do the French Way, I plan to give Borda a try. The reviews I've read and folks that I met staying there are mostly positive.
Yes for sure, it's horses for courses really. Orisson is a pilgrim conveyor belt, while Borda sounds a bit more personable and where I would choose next time. Orisson is fun though, so I wouldn't want to put people off, it all depends what you're looking for.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also did not like the shower which uses tokens (you get one token when you check in). The one I chose to use was not working properly and I had to get out of the shower and hit it to get it to work again. Doing this 3 times ate up much of my shower time. The bathrooms were small and oddly enough, none of the toilets had a toilet seat. You had to sit on the rim of the toilet bowl. Very odd!

To be fair, a token is required for the shower at Borda as well (or at least was when I stayed there in 2022). It's likewise given to you when you check in, and the showers are on a timer so it behooves one to get everything in order (soap, towel, etc.) before stepping in and turning on the water. I suspect it has something to do with the water supply on top of the mountain, and the need to conserve it.

That said, I'm pretty sure all the beds at Borda are single beds (not bunk beds), so bunk ladders aren't a problem there. And there were seats on the toilets at Borda — being of a more delicate sensibility than I look, I definitely would have remembered if there weren't!

I can't directly answer the question, but one thing I do know. Make a booking promptly! Both are very popular, and it is a long way St J PdeP to Roncesvalles in one day!

I have been at Orison and seen some undermined things by the owner. A seventeen-year-old Italian lad was late and even though he had a reservation the owner kicked him off the property. A few of us who were Italian rescued him he was crying it was getting dark. We asked him if he had money otherwise we would have paid for a taxi to send him forward to the the Albergue in Spain. We called the taxi and off he went. Very sad the owner has some issues. When I arrived in Spain the next day I enquired about the lad and they had taken care of him. That's what the Camino is about carrying.
I also had a bad experience with the woman who was running Orbison. I was very late walking and needed to change my reservation to the following night. I’d already paid in full. Oddly, nobody answered the phone - and the following day when I arrived, the woman wouldn’t even discuss the matter. She was very rude and I was made to feel unwelcome.
I will never recommend the place.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Orisson is much comercial.
Much social or personal is Borda.

Orisson is much comercial.
Much social or personal is Borda.
They’re both businesses. The underlying purpose of the business is to generate income for the proprietors. Perhaps Borda hasn’t been open long enough for the proprietor to be wishing they’d chosen another career 😉

Thank you everyone! I decided to go with Auberge Borda. There just seemed too much uncertainty with Orisson - a convoluted booking process, temperamental host, morning coffee running out early, and the possibility of being bumped to their satellite location. It's a shame as I kinda wanted old-school vibes and a bigger crowd. Instead, I'll eat lunch and spend the afternoon at Orisson and then make my way up to Borda for the evening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm in love with BORDA.
I have to admit the first time I went there, Laurent seemed very stern.
But by the end of the stay, I was singing his praises.
He runs a very tight ship.
There are rules and you are expected to follow them - which results in fewer worries about bedbugs, and no long lines for a shower (Yes, you get a token. Get in, soap up, rinse off, get out!) Your backpack is not allowed upstairs. You take what you need in a provided basket. You have a nice little private cubby to sleep in with your own plug. The communal dinner is excellent and fun and Laurent gives you a lovely history of the Camino and of Borda.

Breakfast and dinner are included in the price and he will pack you a nice lunch for the next day for a fair fee.

There also is one private room to rent - two of my pilgrims slept there and loved it.

The bad news is Borda's reputation is making it more and more difficult to book.
Get your booking made - don't wait.
It's one of the highlights of the Camino, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, the communal meal at Orison is fantastic, yet I am not one to enjoy a communal meal I prefer to eat alone. So when I am done I am done. I think I should have become a |Carthusian hermit, although I did think of it when I was a young man

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.