• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking.com

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
This information might be useful. It is not pro or con on my part. It is simply a warning, to double and triple check... taken from an Irish newspaper, Irish Times.

Readers alarmed and out of pocket over booking scams​

WE HAVE RECEIVED SEVERAL STRIKINGLY SIMILAR QUERIES AND COMPLAINTS ABOUT ACCOMMODATION AND HOLIDAY BOOKING PLATFORM BOOKING.COM. PHOTOGRAPH: GETTY

CONOR POPE
We have received several queries and complaints about the accommodation and holiday booking platform Booking.com that are strikingly similar and suggest that criminals are targeting its customers in order to steal money from them, in ways that can only be described as sinister.
First up it a reader called Nuala who contacted us on behalf of her daughter who made a booking through Booking.com for accommodation in Thailand for herself and her friends.
After some time Nuala’s daughter got an email which looked for all the world like it was from Booking.com to say they were changing their terms and conditions and she was now required to pay for the accommodation well in advance.
Nuala says her daughter “was a bit wary of the request and she checked the email very carefully to ensure it was from their exact email and it was. She was still wary so she messaged the property directly through the Booking.com app and they came back and said yes that it was correct. Again she checked the message to ensure it was through Booking.com. She was concerned that the accommodation would be cancelled so she paid it.”
The sum was in excess of €1,000.
Not long after she did, she got another message from the property to tell her not to pay.
“But it was too late. She had to fork out again for the accommodation. She has spent endless calls to Booking.com over the past few months trying to get it sorted. All the emails and app messages are definitely from Booking.com and they say they are aware of this happening and are investigating. She just spends hours on the phone and never makes any progress,” Nuala writes.
“I have been telling loads of people about this and some have come back and said thank you for letting them know as they also received similar emails. Just last week my sister got the same email from the Booking.com email and also a message through their app requesting payment.”
Booking reference
Next up is Gráinne. “I received an email from Booking.com to my Gmail account to advise me I had a new message in the Booking.com app. The email looked very like every other email update I have received by hotels as in it included my booking reference plus the details of guests etc,” she writes.
“The message said due to an update with their booking policies I needed to add an additional card to secure my booking. I clicked on the link and it took €314 out of my revolut account. Before I approved the transaction I asked the booking agent about it and they said it was just a hold and I would get a refund.”
Based on this assurance, she approved the transaction in her Revolut account.
“Within 10 minutes I sent a message to the hotel via the Booking.com app and they came back to say it wasn’t them who sent the message I got. I contacted Revolut immediately and cancelled my card. I then raised a chargeback request [which] was denied as I approved the fraudulent payment,” she says.
“My concern about this is how sophisticated it is. The fraudulent email knew my booking reference, how much the hotel should cost and how many people are on the booking.”
And finally, there is Geraldine who was “almost scammed” by a message coming from the Booking.com app ahead of a trip to Paris for a World Cup match.
“My husband got a message from within the Booking.com app appearing to be from the hotel saying that we needed to secure the booking with credit card details. My husband was slightly suspicious so he called Booking.com and they confirmed that it was a genuine message from the hotel,” she says. “When my husband entered his card details on the link provided, it was (thankfully!) flagged as fraud by Revolut. My husband then contacted the [hotel] and they confirmed that someone was attempting to scam guests on Booking.com using their profile. Given the number of Irish people likely to be travelling to Paris [that] weekend, I’m sure we weren’t alone in being targeted by this sophisticated scam and it would be great to get the word out there.
The fact that Booking.com is being used by fraudsters is also concerning as this site will be trusted and used by many.”
We contacted Booking.com to find out what was going on and if it was aware its customers were being targetted by scammers. We also expressed concern that the criminals appeared to know details of the bookings that had been made on the platform and asked how this might be possible. And we asked – specifically – what might be done to help our readers (and their children) who have been left substantially out of pocket as a result of this criminal activity.
Response
In response, we received the following statement:
“We are sorry to hear about the experience of the Booking.com customers that you shared with us. After reviewing the reservations in question, we can confirm that these customers were targeted by a phishing scam and have now been refunded in full.
“While this was not a security breach on Booking.com and likely a coordinated effort by scammers to commit fraud against both the guest and the accommodation, we are acutely aware of the implications of such scams by malicious third parties to our business, our accommodation partners and unfortunately to our customers, who can fall victim to professional scammers.
“At Booking.com we take safety and security very seriously. Besides the significant amount of analysis we take to verify each and every accommodation before they go live on our Platform, we have dedicated teams that use high-standard personalised technical tools to monitor, detect and block suspicious activities. We also provide regular guidance and updates with our partners about how to keep their accounts secure via proactive email campaigns and have been continuously updating and expanding the cybersecurity section of our Partner Hub to include even more information on malware and phishing so that our partners are as up to date as possible on the latest trends that we are seeing.
“Online fraud and cyber criminal activity is unfortunately a pressing issue across many sectors, including the travel industry. As for practical advice, we recommend that customers carefully analyse the details of an accommodation before booking with them, including payment policies. If an accommodation partner asks for a payment that is not described in this policy, or asks for a payment outside of the Booking.com Platform, customers should not pay, but contact our team.”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband was slightly suspicious so he called Booking.com and they confirmed that it was a genuine message from the hotel,” she says.
Yes, Kirkie, this sort of thing is a worry. Personally I have found it impossible to contact B.Com when I have had a problem. I'd love to know how the husband phoned them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, Kirkie, this sort of thing is a worry. Personally I have found it impossible to contact B.Com when I have had a problem. I'd love to know how the husband phoned them.
Fwiw, when I log into my Booking.com account and search around a bit I do find a customer service phone number. It starts with the UK country code +44.

However, the security breaches described in the article do not happen at Booking.com. They happen at the individual hotel’s computer system. It’s apparently a huge problem but too many people (customers as well as hotels) are not aware of it so it’s good to raise more awareness.

We’ve had a thread about it some time ago and there was a recent article in the Guardian/Observer about this topic and in other news media as well.

All my communication with every booking that I have had on Booking.com has been through the app itself.
I have never received an email....
Would it be prudent simply to be very suspicious of emails, or is the problem that the app is also compromised !??

PS: It would probably best to contact the hotel directly when you get such a message and have doubts (google their phone number if you don’t have it) and not reply through the Booking.com app or the Booking.com website and not even contact the Booking.com Customer Service.

The way I understand it: The criminals have gained access to the hotel’s Booking.com account and can contact the customer from the hotel’s account.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never received an email...
I don’t use their app, I book through their website and I do get emails with information from hotels that I booked in this way. Since there’s one such email left from a booking I made some time ago I checked: The sender‘s name is “[Hotel name] via Booking.com” and the sender’s email address is “noreply@booking.com”. This was a genuine communication from the hotel about late arrival arrangements.

If you get a fraudulent communication, whether through app or email it will look exactly like a genuine one. It’s the content that ought to alarm you.

Or.......check availability on Booking and call the Hotel direct! ;)
I kind of did that once this year.
I had booked a place and didn't really like it when I got there.
Noisy, nowhere to eat nearby etc etc.

The host got to keep the booking fee of course.
So she was OK about it.

But it was kind of a special day and a special place and I wanted to have a nice meal.
So I checked out the next town and saw availability at a nice place on the Harbourfront.
It was just a 20-30 minute walk.
I got a room as a 'walk in'.

I'm tending to use booking less these days, opting for the accommodation listings on Gronze and just booking direct via Whatsapp. More availability and cheaper prices.

Booking.com’s business practices are controversial (dominant market position, fees for hotels are too high, small hotels feel forced to do business with them).

This thread and the warnings are most useful for those who have already made reservations through Booking.com for a Camino in 2024 or will do so.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since this thread made me curious again, I had another look on their website. I did not find any warning about this for their travelling customers. However, they offer some pertinent information for their hotel partners which may also make interesting reading for their travelling customers: phishing, malware and social engineering.

I think I am done with that outfit. Although they did OK for me during the Camino, my very first hostel in Paris - I got charged before I even left home although the deal was to pay upon arrival. When I contated Booking the rep said they had no idea who made the charge,,.... everything had to be reversed, canceled and rebooked (at the end it did turn out to be the actual hostel)

There wound up couple of suspiciously strange double charges during the walk, There were not too many of them (perhaps 3-4) and I didn't feel like trying to sit in front of the laptop figuring it all out once got home for total of charges less than $100.00.... but it left a bad taste in my mouth

The straw that broke the camel's back was 2 months ago. My wife and I went on vacation to Antibes. We rented a place through Booking and it had a "ad notice" of a sort stating that "if you rent this place, we (Booking) will pay your transportation from Nice airport to the property"
I cannot tell you how many calls, emails with the screenshot of this so-called ad etc I made. It was all for naught. I was told that "it was not sufficient proof" (no idea what would be considered sufficient if I am sending you a screenshot of the "ad" and my reservation that clearly shows the property name and address - same as in the ad!) Now... the bus from NCE to Pole D'Echanges is only E2.50\pp so at the end I probably made out (as I would've tipped the driver more than that) but I really do not wish to conduct business with an outfit like this
With this notice I did the same as @Robo - removed all my cards and most likely will close the account permanently in a short future....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I am done with that outfit. Although they did OK for me during the Camino, my very first hostel in Paris - I got charged before I even left home although the deal was to pay upon arrival. When I contated Booking the rep said they had no idea who made the charge,,.... everything had to be reversed, canceled and rebooked (at the end it did turn out to be the actual hostel)

There wound up couple of suspiciously strange double charges during the walk, There were not too many of them (perhaps 3-4) and I didn't feel like trying to sit in front of the laptop figuring it all out once got home for total of charges less than $100.00.... but it left a bad taste in my mouth

The straw that broke the camel's back was 2 months ago. My wife and I went on vacation to Antibes. We rented a place through Booking and it had a "ad notice" of a sort stating that "if you rent this place, we (Booking) will pay your transportation from Nice airport to the property"
I cannot tell you how many calls, emails with the screenshot of this so-called ad etc I made. It was all for naught. I was told that "it was not sufficient proof" (no idea what would be considered sufficient if I am sending you a screenshot of the "ad" and my reservation that clearly shows the property name and address - same as in the ad!) Now... the bus from NCE to Pole D'Echanges is only E2.50\pp so at the end I probably made out (as I would've tipped the driver more than that) but I really do not wish to conduct business with an outfit like this
With this notice I did the same as @Robo - removed all my cards and most likely will close the account permanently in a short future....
For balance, I have been largely nomadic for the last 3 years and booked several hundred nights hotac through booking.com without even one issue. I have found the app to be excellent and clear and they have delivered each and every time in line with expectations. I chop and change, cancel and book hotac all the time. They did used to have a ‘live chat’ facility (with a person not a bo) ’ but I think they have withdrawn that, and on the one occasion I had to ring them they were great.

Last edited:
For balance, I have been largely nomadic for the last 3 years and booked several hundred nights hotac through booking.com without even one issue. I have found the app to be excellent and clear and they have delivered each and every time in line with expectations. I chop and change, cancel and book hotac all the time. They did used to have a ‘live chat’ facility (with a person not a bo) ’ but I think they have withdrawn that, and on the one occasion I had to ring them they were great.
I have used booking.com extensively in the past (I used to tour with theatre companies) but looking for accommodation this week, I have noticed that there is very little competition in the market these days. Most sites seem to be linked to booking.com.

I can also report that I have in the past received genuine messages from hotels about my payment details when I have forgotten the date that the payment would be taken and didn't have funds in my account.

I used booking.com for my recent 6 weeks of traveling in Italy and Croatia. Aside from 3 airbnbs, I had booked every accommodation through booking.com. I had zero problems with booking.com. Every stay was exactly as described. I did have a problem with airbnb, when one hilltop town apartment‘s “impressive tower and Tuscany countryside views” were of the neighboring buildings’ roofs. Airbnb gave me a partial refund after I complained about the false advertising in the photos.

On the other hand, booking.com helped me with a major problem after the lodging in one hamlet on the camino that I had booked on booking.com sent me no information. When I inquired about the included breakfast, I got an odd response that the establishment would not honor a reservation via booking.com. I chatted online with booking.com, and they gave good customer service and resolved the issue.

When I have had issue with payments, etc for vacation rentals, whether PlumGuide, VRBO, AirBnb, Vacasa, booking.com, etc, and I can’t get a resolution through the reservation company, I dispute the charges with my credit card bank. That’s how I was reimbursed $3K for an AirBnb, whose floor cleaner made the house smell like pesticide.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have had some odd issues with booking.com reservations, but they are only occasional. One place I booked in northern Spain seemed to be completely closed when I arrived, even though I had given my arrival time in advance. I got no help from booking and just booked another hotel myself.

I use Booking.com to see the availabilities and price ranges, but always call the property directly (I find the number on Google). All of them gave me a reservation over the phone. Once, I arrive at the property, I ask to see the room before I pay them. This way, I don't get stuck in a room I don't like. I usually paid about 10 to 15 Euros less than the Booking.com price except for the Eurostar Hotel in Santiago. To my surprise, the quoted price at the reception desk for two nights was about 50 Euros more than Booking.com so I booked it through Booking on the spot.

I use Booking.com to see the availabilities and price ranges, but always call the property directly (I find the number on Google). All of them gave me a reservation over the phone. Once, I arrive at the property, I ask to see the room before I pay them. This way, I don't get stuck in a room I don't like. I usually paid about 10 to 15 Euros less than the Booking.com price except for the Eurostar Hotel in Santiago. To my surprise, the quoted price at the reception desk for two nights was about 50 Euros more than Booking.com so I booked it through Booking on the spot.
I have also experienced that the price direct from the hotel can be more, but as you say you can just make the reservation through booking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know I'm old. I can remember when the only way to find accommodation in obscure corners of the planet was to turn up and ask. Nevertheless Berking.con and its similars successfully serve the needs of millions every day that the sun still rises. Choose to use them choose to not isn't where this thread started. The post was about a current scam impacting people in the real world rather than the theoretical one.

That in this wonderful wired world there will always be someone trying to separate a punter from their pound/ euro/dollar is an absolute given. It was just like that when taxi drivers offered to take you to "really good hotel, very cheap" and long gone holiday companies promised paradise at purgatory prices.

So, for me, a timely warning has got nowt to do ( wasn't I restrained, I didn't type bugger-all) to do with the merits or de-merits of sorting out next Tuesdays comfortable (5* reviewed on Tripe-advertiser) accommodation. The OP was a timely reminder to trust no-one and nothing if it comes in off the Web and is asking for money, not cash ;)

Curious... I've used booking.com, and received a couple of replies from booking.com.uk, booking.com.de -- assuming these were from booking.com offices in those countries even tho' I was booking accommodations in Spain. So far, I have not had problems - but wondering about the reliability and susceptibility of these various .coms...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Curious... I've used booking.com, and received a couple of replies from booking.com.uk, booking.com.de -- assuming these were from booking.com offices in those countries even tho' I was booking accommodations in Spain. So far, I have not had problems - but wondering about the reliability and susceptibility of these various .coms...
Those addresses look suspicious to me but I could be wrong. Alway check the address and also the copy. The scam ones often looks quite amateurish (they use a reference number in bold and underline it, and check the name they use for you- if it’s not your name but a username/email name it maybe a scam) but they are getting better. Don’t click links ever!

Put a copy of the header, title and first para of body copy on here and happy to take a look!

Last edited:
So far as I know no one has yet succeeded in cloning an human being: so phoning places using phone numbers gleaned from any source other than the one offered is a route to some comfort.

If anyone would like my complete guide to avoiding internet scams just send €1 to the bank account available on my website www.thisisacon.con

This information might be useful. It is not pro or con on my part. It is simply a warning, to double and triple check... taken from an Irish newspaper, Irish Times.

Readers alarmed and out of pocket over booking scams​

WE HAVE RECEIVED SEVERAL STRIKINGLY SIMILAR QUERIES AND COMPLAINTS ABOUT ACCOMMODATION AND HOLIDAY BOOKING PLATFORM BOOKING.COM. PHOTOGRAPH: GETTY

CONOR POPE
We have received several queries and complaints about the accommodation and holiday booking platform Booking.com that are strikingly similar and suggest that criminals are targeting its customers in order to steal money from them, in ways that can only be described as sinister.
First up it a reader called Nuala who contacted us on behalf of her daughter who made a booking through Booking.com for accommodation in Thailand for herself and her friends.
After some time Nuala’s daughter got an email which looked for all the world like it was from Booking.com to say they were changing their terms and conditions and she was now required to pay for the accommodation well in advance.
Nuala says her daughter “was a bit wary of the request and she checked the email very carefully to ensure it was from their exact email and it was. She was still wary so she messaged the property directly through the Booking.com app and they came back and said yes that it was correct. Again she checked the message to ensure it was through Booking.com. She was concerned that the accommodation would be cancelled so she paid it.”
The sum was in excess of €1,000.
Not long after she did, she got another message from the property to tell her not to pay.
“But it was too late. She had to fork out again for the accommodation. She has spent endless calls to Booking.com over the past few months trying to get it sorted. All the emails and app messages are definitely from Booking.com and they say they are aware of this happening and are investigating. She just spends hours on the phone and never makes any progress,” Nuala writes.
“I have been telling loads of people about this and some have come back and said thank you for letting them know as they also received similar emails. Just last week my sister got the same email from the Booking.com email and also a message through their app requesting payment.”
Booking reference
Next up is Gráinne. “I received an email from Booking.com to my Gmail account to advise me I had a new message in the Booking.com app. The email looked very like every other email update I have received by hotels as in it included my booking reference plus the details of guests etc,” she writes.
“The message said due to an update with their booking policies I needed to add an additional card to secure my booking. I clicked on the link and it took €314 out of my revolut account. Before I approved the transaction I asked the booking agent about it and they said it was just a hold and I would get a refund.”
Based on this assurance, she approved the transaction in her Revolut account.
“Within 10 minutes I sent a message to the hotel via the Booking.com app and they came back to say it wasn’t them who sent the message I got. I contacted Revolut immediately and cancelled my card. I then raised a chargeback request [which] was denied as I approved the fraudulent payment,” she says.
“My concern about this is how sophisticated it is. The fraudulent email knew my booking reference, how much the hotel should cost and how many people are on the booking.”
And finally, there is Geraldine who was “almost scammed” by a message coming from the Booking.com app ahead of a trip to Paris for a World Cup match.
“My husband got a message from within the Booking.com app appearing to be from the hotel saying that we needed to secure the booking with credit card details. My husband was slightly suspicious so he called Booking.com and they confirmed that it was a genuine message from the hotel,” she says. “When my husband entered his card details on the link provided, it was (thankfully!) flagged as fraud by Revolut. My husband then contacted the [hotel] and they confirmed that someone was attempting to scam guests on Booking.com using their profile. Given the number of Irish people likely to be travelling to Paris [that] weekend, I’m sure we weren’t alone in being targeted by this sophisticated scam and it would be great to get the word out there.
The fact that Booking.com is being used by fraudsters is also concerning as this site will be trusted and used by many.”
We contacted Booking.com to find out what was going on and if it was aware its customers were being targetted by scammers. We also expressed concern that the criminals appeared to know details of the bookings that had been made on the platform and asked how this might be possible. And we asked – specifically – what might be done to help our readers (and their children) who have been left substantially out of pocket as a result of this criminal activity.
Response
In response, we received the following statement:
“We are sorry to hear about the experience of the Booking.com customers that you shared with us. After reviewing the reservations in question, we can confirm that these customers were targeted by a phishing scam and have now been refunded in full.
“While this was not a security breach on Booking.com and likely a coordinated effort by scammers to commit fraud against both the guest and the accommodation, we are acutely aware of the implications of such scams by malicious third parties to our business, our accommodation partners and unfortunately to our customers, who can fall victim to professional scammers.
“At Booking.com we take safety and security very seriously. Besides the significant amount of analysis we take to verify each and every accommodation before they go live on our Platform, we have dedicated teams that use high-standard personalised technical tools to monitor, detect and block suspicious activities. We also provide regular guidance and updates with our partners about how to keep their accounts secure via proactive email campaigns and have been continuously updating and expanding the cybersecurity section of our Partner Hub to include even more information on malware and phishing so that our partners are as up to date as possible on the latest trends that we are seeing.
“Online fraud and cyber criminal activity is unfortunately a pressing issue across many sectors, including the travel industry. As for practical advice, we recommend that customers carefully analyse the details of an accommodation before booking with them, including payment policies. If an accommodation partner asks for a payment that is not described in this policy, or asks for a payment outside of the Booking.com Platform, customers should not pay, but contact our team.”
I have used booking dot com for +15 years. Latest booking was 3 weeks ago. Never had a problem. But I use their website, not their app. I have also found them to lower priced than hotels dot com.

On the Caminos, I always call direct to reserve a bed: Better for me, and better for the places I stay: They don't have to pay a fee to those websites.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back