• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Flights

JoHill

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019 Camino Frances
August 2020 Camino Frances
September 2021 Portugues
Yesterday was the day I set aside to book my flights from Wisconsin, USA. It didn’t happen.

I’m too confused. Where should I fly into and depart for SJPdP? Any help with figuring out which airline to use would be greatly appreciated. I thought about using bookings.com but I didn’t want my days planned out for me in advance. I’m sure there will be days I will not want to walk so would like to be flexible.

Maybe I am not searching correctly because I haven’t been able to search the forum for threads regarding flights.

So excited - Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m sure others will chime in with all the itinerary options but I did this last year and have already bought tickets for 2019 since it worked well for me: flight from US to Madrid -> train to Pamplona -> bus to SJPdP.

The above works. So does fly into Paris ->train to Bayonne->train to SJPdP. Also fly to London -> fly to Biarritz -> train or Express Bourricott to SJPdP. The Paris route is probably the most common, but it depends on where you are coming from.

Get to one of these cities in Europe. Stay there at least one day to get over jet lag. Then catch your next flight or train to the "Trail Head", which is really Bayonne. Bayonne is reachable by train, or by flying to Biarritz. You can also fly into Bordeaux and take the train, but that likely won't make sense from North America.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You could also fly into Madrid, then to San Sebastian and bus or train from there to Bayonne/SJPDP - Im also looking for options to get from San Seb to SJPDP as I will be travelling to two teens (crazy, I know)

cheers
A

I am planning my 1st Camino this April. I got a one-way ticket San Francisco to Paris for $161 with Norwegian Air. Then I’ll take the train from there, like recommended above 👆🏼. Good luck with your travel set up & Buen Camino!

I am planning my 1st Camino this April. I got a one-way ticket San Francisco to Paris for $161 with Norwegian Air. Then I’ll take the train from there, like recommended above 👆🏼. Good luck with your travel set up & Buen Camino!
I booked yesterday from Dallas to Paris for 250 On Norwegian and will do the same. Take train to St Jean

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Certainly the two most popular options are flying into Madrid or Paris.
I have done Madrid once and Paris twice.
If I had to pick again? Paris :)
Who doesn't love Paris?

We stay a night there to get over jet lag and look around a bit, staying near Montparnasse station. (easy bus trip from Paris CDG airport. From Montparnasse you can walk North to the Seine river, the Louvre.........

One time we got the fast train (TGV) down to Bayonne and from there to St Jean,
Last year we flew from Paris to Biarritz (very near Bayonne) as there was a train strike.

Happy planning :)

Of course you could have the best of both Worlds!
Fly into one and out of the other.
Lots of cheap flights to both from Santiago for your return trip.

In my flight searches, I had difficulties finding cheap flights that didn't involve a long (8 hours+) layover or those that only got me to the general area in the late afternoon or evening. I ended up choosing to fly to Madrid, then to Pamplona, landing at 9:15 am, where I can get a bus or taxi to St. Jean. I watched flights for several months and the prices didn't change, regardless of airline or website (kayak/expedia/priceline and other similar sites or the airlines themselves). Good luck with your planning! I'm starting May 1 and hope to see you along the way.

I'm tempted to say you shouldn't start from Milwaukee! (But that would be unfair, not to say unhelpful.)

You don't say when you are planning to go, but Skyscanner shows flights to Madrid via Boston in May 2019 (with Southwest Airlines and Norwegian) from where you can get a bus or train to Pamplona and then a bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port. As Douglas Christel notes, this involves a long layover (in Boston, nice city) but costs $368 for a journey of 21 hours. The fastest journey, at 12 hours, costs $2899, via Philadelphia with American Airlines.

However you look at it, it's going to take you a couple of days to get to SJPdP, but that may be no bad thing, taking jetlag into account.

If you can be more specific with dates, lots of people on here will have good advice.

Good planning and good luck!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just to make sure, the bus option from Pamplona to SJPdP is available only from May.

First suggestion is to take the bus down to O'Hare (yes, and back on your return trip). From O'Hare you will have numerous carriers that will take you non-stop to Madrid, Barcelona, or Paris. Numerous carriers means competition and that will lower your airline tickets cost. Almost all direct flights leave in the late afternoon or early evening, so your commute to O'Hare will be midday.

Then consider...do I/should I spend a day or two getting over jet lag in any of the cities where I might land? These are fabulous places and the Spanish cities are relatively inexpensive compared to, say, Chicago.

It will be cheaper for you to fly and return from Spain because flying back to Paris, unless you buy an open jaw or multi city return, will not be as easy as leaving from Madrid. So Madrid is going to be the easiest and cheapest and least complicated. Unless you want to see first see Paris or Barcelona. Then just check out the multi-city pricing for your route.

Send me a private message if you want more help.

Tom
U. of Wisconsin grad

First suggestion is to take the bus down to O'Hare (yes, and back on your return trip). From O'Hare you will have numerous carriers that will take you non-stop to Madrid, Barcelona, or Paris. Numerous carriers means competition and that will lower your airline tickets cost. Almost all direct flights leave in the late afternoon or early evening, so your commute to O'Hare will be midday.

Then consider...do I/should I spend a day or two getting over jet lag in any of the cities where I might land? These are fabulous places and the Spanish cities are relatively inexpensive compared to, say, Chicago.

It will be cheaper for you to fly and return from Spain because flying back to Paris, unless you buy an open jaw or multi city return, will not be as easy as leaving from Madrid. So Madrid is going to be the easiest and cheapest and least complicated. Unless you want to see first see Paris or Barcelona. Then just check out the multi-city pricing for your route.

Send me a private message if you want more help.

Tom
U. of Wisconsin grad
Tom - thank you so much! I was leaning towards Madrid and you settled it for me. My question now is how to get to SJPdP from Madrid?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Tom - thank you so much! I was leaning towards Madrid and you settled it for me. My question now is how to get to SJPdP from Madrid?
You can take a bus or train to Pamplona, then a bus or taxi to SJPdP. Rome2Rio.com is a great site for finding transportation options between any two points.

If you decide to fly Iberia be sure to book on their site, i looked on Expedia the same exact flight was on Iberia and American Airlines( their partner company) with a difference of $300. SAME FLIGHT!! Plus if theres any problems you deal with Iberia not 3rd party.

If you decide to fly Iberia be sure to book on their site, i looked on Expedia the same exact flight was on Iberia and American Airlines( their partner company) with a difference of $300. SAME FLIGHT!! Plus if theres any problems you deal with Iberia not 3rd party.

Did you buy one way tickets or round trip?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check out Google Flights — has consistently had the cheapest flight options and very easy to use. Sky Scanner app for iPhone would be a close second.

Did you buy one way tickets or round trip?
I booked RT. LA- Madrid, coming home Santiago-Madrid-LA. Surprisingly flying out of Santiago was only $14. more than making my way back to Madrid for return home. BTW. i did’nt want to go home😢

Yesterday was the day I set aside to book my flights from Wisconsin, USA. It didn’t happen.

I’m too confused. Where should I fly into and depart for SJPdP? Any help with figuring out which airline to use would be greatly appreciated. I thought about using bookings.com but I didn’t want my days planned out for me in advance. I’m sure there will be days I will not want to walk so would like to be flexible.

Maybe I am not searching correctly because I haven’t been able to search the forum for threads regarding flights.

So excited - Jo
Hi Jo, l walked with quite a few people from the USA last year and all of them flew into Madrid and then train an bus to st Jean. What date are you starting your walk, l’m starting the 8th May this year, l might see you on the road, Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jo, l walked with quite a few people from the USA last year and all of them flew into Madrid and then train an bus to st Jean. What date are you starting your walk, l’m starting the 8th May this year, l might see you on the road, Buen Camino
Probably because all flights into Madrid are non-stops from the States.

I haven’t pulled the plug on the flights, I just don’t know if booking round trip is going to work for me. I plan on May 6.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Air France / Delta from Knoxville > Atlanta > Paris > Biarritz. Bus to Bayonne, train to SJPP. Return is Delta from Madrid > Atlanta > Knoxville. Plan to start my trek on April 10th.

Iberia is ceasing service to Biarritz / Bayonne from Madrid.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.