• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking train

dreaming

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, LE PUY
Hello everyone. Finally I have booked to fly to Paris from Australia. Do I book the train to Bayonne in advance or wait until I get there in case plane is delayed?
Do I take gaiters when I am taking rain pants?
Thanks for your help

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would spend the night in Paris near the Montparnasse train station and book the train for the next day. The trains can sell out, and advance tickets are usually less expensive.

Hi @dreaming - another Aussie here. From Australia, I find Trainline the most user friendly site / app to book. Is it this September you are walking? If, it's September 2024, you won't be able to buy the ticket until at least 3 months before (sometimes 2 months).

Also, just a note you've said you are booking through to Bayonne. That's a good strategy. I wouldn't be tempted to book all the way from Paris to SJPP. The train that runs between Bayonne to SJPP is sometimes cancelled (usually due to debris / repairs on the track) and a cancellation can mess up your whole booking if it's seen as one. You can book the Bayonne SJPP separately. Also, when the train is cancelled, SNCF will (almost/always) provide replacement bus.

All the best with your planning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1) If there is concern about plane delays, wait till you arrive in Paris to purchase the ticket at the Station, (Gare). When I did this leg of the trip, I stayed in a hostel near the Gare Montparnasse. I got there by bus from the airport, direct. Next morning, I walked to the station, 2 or 3 blocks and purchased the ticket.

2) No need for gaiters as all paths are pretty much open. Also, the popular rain wear is a poncho that covers the pack as well as you. The climate is sub tropical so rain pants will feel like a sauna.

I wear super lightweight gaiters in heavy rain to keep the rain from running down into my boots. Works. The rain in Spain falls mainly on the del Norte. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can't comment on trains, but we've had occasional sideways driving rain on the Primitivo for parts of the last two days, with mud and temps in the high 40s- low 50s Fahrenheit. Not exactly subtropical. And it didn't seem to matter what people wore...we were all soaked to the skin in one area or another.

I took gaiters on the Camino Frances and sent them to the end of my hike.
I took a poncho and many times I wished I had my regular rain coat.

I am going late September. Thanks for your reply.
Haha, only a fellow Aussie would ask about leg gaiters! We use them in Summer for snakes and Winter for puddles! I wont be bringing any here though - going next month. Enjoy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your replies. I am going this September and have walked in August twice before. I even took my rain pants then and sometimes wore them when everything was in the wash. The SNCF shows minimal tickets for trains yet Trainline says fully booked so probably should book ahead. Michelle, what was the name of the hostel you stayed at near the station? Planes to Biarritz look expensive.
Thanks all for your advice.

G'Day @dreaming !
The flight from Oz can be more than a bit daunting, how well do you handle jet lag?? I would support the advice about overnighting in Paris near Gare Montparnasse. I stayed there in 2017 as I had booked a 7.15 train,. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m flying Brisbane to Paris 29 Sept arrive at 2pm on 30th. Getting a train from CDG airport to Montparnasse and booked a train to Biarritz departing at .415pm arrives at 10.15pm. Booked 2 nights in Biarritz and then on to SJPDP on the mon, I’m staying nr the airport so will get lift from there
Hope this helps as maybe an option. I checked all transport options w Rome2Rio app.

Mine, too!
Mine too, and I did miss my train because my plane was delayed 4 hours in Toronto on my way to Madrid. But with the Trainline mobile app I just clicked cancel ticket at Toronto airport and my refund was done by the time I landed in Madrid. Can't say enough how easy it was. Also bought my bus ticket to SJPP on Trainline so my train and bus tickets were all on my Trainline mobile app.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I ended up booking my train to Bayonne the next day after my flights thanks. Any suggestions on where to stay in Paris with easy access to Montparnasse station the next day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back