• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots in May

AlisonBath

Time of past OR future Camino
first 200 miles of the Camino Frances (2007)
Camino deal Norte (2016)
Hi all, I'm starting the Camino Del Norte on the 28th may, but can only take a week off work so I'm planning on walking between Irun and Bilbao this time, and coming back in August for another week or two. ( I'd love to do it all in one go, but it's just not possible at the moment).

I've done a fair bit of Camino walking, so I'm fine on the kit, but I'm trying to decide between we'll worn in footware. I prefer to wear something that's as light as possible as I find it far less tiring by the end of the day, especially if there's a lot of time on roads. I know there's rain forecast for a bit every day, so does anyone know how muddy this stretch tends to get and also how rough underfoot it is? Would low cut Scarpa shoes be ok?

Also, is anyone starting off at the same time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alison. Yes. I am starting in Astorga on May 23. I will be wearing my well-worn (Camino de Inca and Adirondacks) mid-cut Timberland Chokurua for the rainy days and the Teva Original for sunny days. Both are relatively lightweight. I've got my pack (Patagonia Sweetpack) maxed out at 15 lbs. Buen Camino.

I've just spent a wet week on the Via de la Plata in light sandals. Knee high stream crossings, ankle deep mud, totally sodden, constant rain. Sandals wash out and so do socks. Sandals also appear to dry faster than heavy boots. It was hard at times and I am grateful for the sun shining now, but I do not regret walking in sandals.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked that section also around May 26th in 2014. Although late spring, the micro climate around this area creates wet and muddy trails. I am glad i worn my traditional boots. Some people were walking with sneakers had wet and muddy feet. So, it all depends on your fitness level. Most modern boots are lightweight. I used Lowa renegade leather lined boots on two Caminos with great success.
If you don't mind wet feet go with sneakers with good outsoles.

Thanks for all your replies. If there's a fair amount of mud on the trail then I'll go for the heftier walking shoes. I like the idea of the sandles, but I need to wear orthotics so unfortunately sandles are out. I'll probably take my light running shoes to change into for the long road sections as well. I should be able to keep my pack down to about 5-6 kg including a sleeping bag, which sounds necessary. I prefer to walk lighter, but I also like to be warm and blister free! Looking forward to it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked this section earlier this month - trail runners are fine - there's just one small muddy part around Munitibar - caused by cows rather than mountain bikes for a change

I walked Donostia to Bilbao past week. I just found mud near Goikolexea, on some parts of the path barely exposed to sunlight.

Past month i walked the Frech Way and it was cold, rainy and muddy.

I wore low ventilated shoes both times.

MTP1538.jpg

I don't like high boots to trek on this kind of trail, they are heavy and stiff. I've got bad blood circulation so i prefer light and ventilated shoes. I rather have my feet wet than swollen, it's just a choice: being dry or comfortable. Anyway i carry many socks to change if i get wet.

Past year i walked St Olav's Way in Norway and i wore a pair of Salewa Wildfire Vent, narrow and stiffer than these Bestard, because the norwegian path is more 'mountain' than the spanish trails. I got constantly wet but i had nor blisters neither foot problem.

I'd just wear boots if i'm gonna walk only mountains. Or in winter. Or in snow.

Wear the best for you, if you're expecting rain and mud you can always carry socks to change and vaseline.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looks like I'm going to be fickle and just take my Scarpa low cut shoes then, (with some spare socks!), which I find really comfy. They're just not great on very rough rocky surfaces, as they have thinner soles, or on too much mud. They're a good compromise and save me carrying a second pair of shoes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would recommend you polyester/nylon coolmax type socks. The best if you're going to get your feet wet.

And vaseline all over your feet and toes, so your skin won't absorb water.

I would recommend you polyester/nylon coolmax type socks. The best if you're going to get your feet wet.

And vaseline all over your feet and toes, so your skin won't absorb water.

That sounds like a good plan - thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.