• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumeiro out of use for maintenance for unspecified period

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m sure it will be back prior to Christmas Mass.

I have read that there are two botafumeiros.
"The current Botafumeiro is made of an alloy of brass and bronze and is plated by a very thin 20-micrometre layer of silver. The current Botafumeiro was created by the gold and silversmith José Losada in 1851. It has a golden sheen." [btw brass and bronze are both alloys themselves.]
and
"There is another large thurible used in the other masses carried out in the cathedral, called La Alcachofa (literally, 'the Artichoke')[7] or La Repollo (literally, 'the Cabbage'). La Alcachofa is a silver-colored metal censer. It was created in 1971 by the sacred art artisans working under the craftsman Luis Molina Acedo." [Wiki]
So can't they use the spare in the meantime?

I should have read the article! I just read the headline and made an assumption. Edited after reading posts 4, 5, and 6.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So can't they use the spare in the meantime?
The thurible is only one small element of the botafumeiro, there is the whole pully mechanism and supporting structure, a considerable weight..
If there was any doubt about its integrity, and this would appear to be the case, there would need to be a very thorough inspection of the whole system, it could take some time.

Ropes wear out, as any sailor or bell-ringer will tell you. Replacing the ropes, e.g. bell ropes, is when you have a good look at the mechanism to make sure everything is OK. So this may be a routine shut down lasting a few days. Then again, if they do find a problem the shut down will be longer. Fingers crossed it´s the former.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There was no bota at Easter.

I asked the Cathedal about this and they are unable to say when it will be back. This is clearly long term

I was there last night on a tour. They are using the opportunity to get it all checked out and it is taking longer than expected. You can see the two bota in the museum (No pics allowed) and get the latest bota-fix news on a guided tour. The night tour was excellent for this. Fun facts the guide shared: it swings at 70kph / 40mph and has only broken 4 times - and no one has died :)

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.