• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Botafumerio out of service

rabtacoma

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Leon to Santiago October 2019
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th.
Here is the update from the Cathederal:
“We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the botafumeiro service will not be re-established for the requested date.”

So it looks like it will be under repairs at least through May.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has always been a bit of a "tease" though, hasn't it? Let's be honest.
All I can think of (when it comes to the since forever "will they, won't they use it?" during "Pilgrim Mass") is that I suppose if they advertised it in advance (which mass and which day they will use it) there would be a risk of overcrowding (?)

I guess the reason they don't use it at every mass is cost.
But the "€450"* they ask for a private performance seems excessive...

(*source: Wikipedia)

It has always been a bit of a "tease" though, hasn't it? Let's be honest.
All I can think of (when it comes to the since forever "will they, won't they use it?" during "Pilgrim Mass") is that I suppose if they advertised it in advance (which mass and which day they will use it) there would be a risk of overcrowding (?)

It takes 8 people to swing it (not saying they're paid but that doesn't mean it should be free). Then you have the cost of maintenance, cleaning, coals/incense, insurance, and if it generates a bit of income so be it.

I've heard people getting married paying thousands each for photographers, invitations, seat covers and all manner of nonsense and getting uptight when the church asks for €200-300 towards their costs.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I posted this so pilgrims would know the botafumerio would not be used in the Mass for at least through the month of May and they could perhaps adjust their plans if they were hoping to extend their stay to experience it.

It's hardly private. Anyone who has seen the botafumerio at any time other than the 10 or so specific days listed on the Cathedral website has seen it because some one or some group has paid for it. Mass is open to anyone who arrives on time to get a seat, which generally means hundreds of people at a time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you sponsor the use of the botafumeiro - as well as the certainty of seeing it in action, you do get a number of reserved seats close to the censer itself. The main event should clearly be the Mass; but a proportion of the congregation wait -phone in hand - for the boring bit to finish.

On the cost side, the eight people involved are paid, there’s wear and tear to consider as is currently obvious, the admin isn’t free and the whole lot’s subject to tax.

IMHO it’s become an over-rated gimmick which attracts too much ‘must see’ attention.

Hola, whilst it may be disappointing for April/May and early June pilgrims to not see the botafumeiro swing it is quite and involved piece of equipment (from my numerous observations). Maybe the ceiling fittings need repairs and other fittings (ropes etc) need more than "running repairs). Oh BTW the last time I had info about "special swing payments" it was around Euro 350/400 - based on a bus load of French or German tourist making a "donation" via their tour director. Cheers

Everyone needs to understand that this mechanism is hundreds of years old. It employs precise geometry and engineering - for the time. All the parts are custom made. You cannot just go to the local DIY store for replacement parts.

When the rest of the Cathedral was renovated - an excellent job by the way - the Botafumeiro was examined and assessed that it did not need maintenance at that time. Several months ago, while a priest was celebrating the Mass at the main altar, one screw fell out of the Botafumeiro and landed on the altar proper. I imagine that was a proper "oh sh$%" moment.

In any event, the Botafumeiro was promptly taken out of service, and a decision was taken that the entire mechanism should be lowered and completely renovated.

One imagines that the ongoing delays have to do with: (A) funding, (B) careful examination of all the parts, (C) design and manual fabrication of the proper replacement parts - likely more than a single screw - using techniques from the 1600 or 1700s; and (D) developing a plan to CAREFULLY reassemble and reinstall the renovated Botafumeiro while the Cathedral continues to function around the work, and throughout the peak tourism and pilgrim season.

In the meanwhile, you can easily view hundreds of You Tube videos by searching for "botafumeiro santiago de compostela."

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is disappointing for a pilgrim who really wants to see the botafumiero swing but does not. However, lots of pilgrims have been disappointed but still went on to realize they had had a special pilgrimage anyways.
And regarding time for upkeep... when I visited the cathedral museum, I was surprised to discover the botamumerio was as tall as I was - 1.6m or about 5 feet high. I do not weigh 80kg- about 176 pounds, but it does. When being swung above a cathedral filled with people, it creates a large arc. If the rope broke or the mechanism suddenly failed, it could become an impressive and dangerous projectile. Maintaining the botafumerio for the continued safety and wonderment of all is worth the down time.

It is disappointing for a pilgrim who really wants to see the botafumiero swing but does not. However, lots of pilgrims have been disappointed but still went on to realize they had had a special pilgrimage anyways.
Not nearly as disappointing as the few centuries they misplaced St. James' relics after they hid them from Drake.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And regarding time for upkeep... when I visited the cathedral museum, I was surprised to discover the botamumerio was as tall as I was - 1.6m or about 5 feet high. I do not weigh 80kg- about 176 pounds, but it does. When being swung above a cathedral filled with people, it creates a large arc. If the rope broke or the mechanism suddenly failed, it could become an impressive and dangerous projectile. Maintaining the botafumerio for the continued safety and wonderment of all is worth the down time.
Just by way of conversation, I believe the rope HAS failed three times over the years. SO, it CAN happen.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back