• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bought the shoes!

MooandI

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June of 2017
Hi all!

Just purchased my Camino footwear and that's somehow making it feel more official. At this point, the plan is to leave around May 10th of '17, so I've plenty of time to break these suckers in :)

Other the the shoes, I've no idea what I'm doing or where to start. Ha! And I'm going by myself, so lots of info to navigate and integrate. What/where/how?!?!

Thanks for this awesome community! Look forward to learning from you all :)

Oh, and any female specific forum links/tips would be much appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your next big step will be to buy a plane ticket, I always think it's as exciting planning for the journey, as the journey itself.

Hi all!

Just purchased my Camino footwear and that's somehow making it feel more official. At this point, the plan is to leave around May 10th of '17, so I've plenty of time to break these suckers in :)

Other the the shoes, I've no idea what I'm doing or where to start. Ha! And I'm going by myself, so lots of info to navigate and integrate. What/where/how?!?!

Thanks for this awesome community! Look forward to learning from you all :)

Oh, and any female specific forum links/tips would be much appreciated!

Mooandl,

As a first-time pilgrim recently returned home, I can speak only positively of my experience. It wasn't all that I expected, but was much more in many ways.

At a technical level, good footwear is a great place to start. From my own (bitter!) experience, I would also advise, if not already done, that you learn a set of stretches for feet, legs and arms (especially, though core strength is also a great help). Once learned, perform these stretches every day while preparing, and morning, noon and night while on the Camino. I had a bout of tendinitis about two weeks in, and was later told by a physio that I could have avoided the experience by adopting an appropriate and regular stretching regime.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi and welcome to the forum @MooandI - Seems you have already taken the first step on your Camino!

As for forum tips: Read, read and read and use the search box to find more to read. If you can't find an answer to something just open a new thread with it and you will get an awful lot of answers/opinions ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Your next big step will be to buy a plane ticket, I always think it's as exciting planning for the journey, as the journey itself.
Yes! Tickets are the next step indeed. And I agree with excitement during journey planning...I get so giddy! Great times to be had!

Mooandl,

As a first-time pilgrim recently returned home, I can speak only positively of my experience. It wasn't all that I expected, but was much more in many ways.

At a technical level, good footwear is a great place to start. From my own (bitter!) experience, I would also advise, if not already done, that you learn a set of stretches for feet, legs and arms (especially, though core strength is also a great help). Once learned, perform these stretches every day while preparing, and morning, noon and night while on the Camino. I had a bout of tendinitis about two weeks in, and was later told by a physio that I could have avoided the experience by adopting an appropriate and regular stretching regime.

Buen Camino.

Thanks for advice, much appreciated. I'll take a look at some stretching exercises as suggested. The longest I've hiked continuously was for 10 days and that was painful at times, so I know this ain't gonna be easy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome!!! My camino boots are so comfortable that I forget to take them off. I am not kidding. OK so really I have 3 of the same model and I am wearing the "normal in town non-camino sized boots" right now. (they have been discontinued so I have also have my camino pair plus a new pair in reserve). My camino boot are the same model but a size larger and just as comfortable at the end of a camino day!!

I highly recommend booking at Pension Corazon Puro for your last pre Camino night. Istvan and Barbara who own it are wonderful. They will pick you up in Pamplona, drive you to their place, serve you a wonderful home cooked dinner, then after breakfast in the morning drive you to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Then the next night you can book into Refuge Orisson, which is just about 8 km out of St. Jean towards Roncesvalles, letting you break up the walk over the Pyrenees.

I get your excitement! I just picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost trailruners--I'm always in search of the perfect pair of hiking shoes, and don't need much of an excuse to get a new pair!

Like you, other than a loose connection feb/March '17 start, I haven't decided on anything else. I figure the rest will sort itself :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I highly recommend booking at Pension Corazon Puro for your last pre Camino night. Istvan and Barbara who own it are wonderful. They will pick you up in Pamplona, drive you to their place, serve you a wonderful home cooked dinner, then after breakfast in the morning drive you to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Then the next night you can book into Refuge Orisson, which is just about 8 km out of St. Jean towards Roncesvalles, letting you break up the walk over the Pyrenees.

Hey, thanks for this!!! Sounds wonderful!

I get your excitement! I just picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost trailruners--I'm always in search of the perfect pair of hiking shoes, and don't need much of an excuse to get a new pair!

Like you, other than a loose connection feb/March '17 start, I haven't decided on anything else. I figure the rest will sort itself :)

Hi Marcie--I opted for Salomon brand; never owned a pair before, but they feel comfy so far...so basically in my house and my backyard haha. Haven't started the real breaking in yet.

Are you booking your tickets soon? Where are you flying in from?

Happy adventures! Or Buen Camino as they say :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I liked my last pair of Solomons--hopefully they work well for you. Mine had zip laces--the kind in a loop with a toggle that you just pull. I was skeptical at first, but quickly decided I loved them!

I'll be flying from Toronto in mid February--not sure of the date. . . Or where I'll land! I will watch fare sales, and in the meantime think about where I want to hike. I've read a little about the via de la plata, which seems like it might be a good fit for that time of year. Have you made any further plans?

And between now and then, I'll put some miles on my new shoes!

I liked my last pair of Solomons--hopefully they work well for you. Mine had zip laces--the kind in a loop with a toggle that you just pull. I was skeptical at first, but quickly decided I loved them!

I'll be flying from Toronto in mid February--not sure of the date. . . Or where I'll land! I will watch fare sales, and in the meantime think about where I want to hike. I've read a little about the via de la plata, which seems like it might be a good fit for that time of year. Have you made any further plans?

And between now and then, I'll put some miles on my new shoes!

Yes, mine have the same type of laces. They feel supportive though, so all good. And I don't remember reading anything about via de la plata...how long do you anticipate it might take?

No plans other than to do the whole Frances (sp?) route. I'm aiming for 35 days for completion, but everything I've read thus far points to Camino being on its own time, so I'm going to be flexible here :) and then hopefully spend a few days lounging at the sea somewhere. I graduate with my master's at the end of April--and I can't freaking wait--so this trip is a sort of anchor/transition into next steps of my life!

What a fantabulous graduation gift to give to yourself! I've discovered that the Camino takes as long as it takes :)

Vdlp is 1000km in total. I'm not attached to doing the whole thing--at least, not all at once! Perhaps this time I'll walk from Seville to Salamanca-ish, which is close to Madrid, where I'll be able to fly out. I'll need to do some more research and consider how much time I'll have and how far I'll want to walk. Still lots to think about--and so the journey begins!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back