• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Burgos to Santiago walking time

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022 and 2023
In May 2023 I plan to pick up my walk where I left off, in Burgos. I know walking time depends on so many factors, from SJPP we walked about 10-13 miles a day, and would do a rest day or half-day rest day every 3 or 4 days. I would love to hear how long it has taken folks. SO looking forward to returning!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Mendo Girl. greetings from Newfoundland! I have walked the Frances twice, once in 2019 and a second time this year in May/June. My timing was similar each time. From Burgos it took around 9 days of walking to cross the Meseta to Leon. It then took a further 14 days to reach Santiago from Leon, so 23 in all. I took no days off and walked on average around 22-25 kms/day. Hope this helps and Buen Camino !

Hi Mendo Girl. greetings from Newfoundland! I have walked the Frances twice, once in 2019 and a second time this year in May/June. My timing was similar each time. From Burgos it took around 9 days of walking to cross the Meseta to Leon. It then took a further 14 days to reach Santiago from Leon, so 23 in all. I took no days off and walked on average around 22-25 kms/day. Hope this helps and Buen Camino !
I guess you will get virtually every number of days but, whilst I don't think this will be too helpful as it depends on fitness, etc but I took 18 days plus 3 hours on the final day with no rest days. I am 75.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess you will get virtually every number of days but, whilst I don't think this will be too helpful as it depends on fitness, etc but I took 18 days plus 3 hours on the final day with no rest days. I am 75.
Goodness……speedy ! Probably powered by the wonderful Estrella Galicia given your picture. Ha ha

In May 2023 I plan to pick up my walk where I left off, in Burgos. I know walking time depends on so many factors, from SJPP we walked about 10-13 miles a day, and would do a rest day or half-day rest day every 3 or 4 days. I would love to hear how long it has taken folks. SO looking forward to returning!
Based on your previous Camino experiences, I would suggest 20-23 days. I have walked from Burgos to Santiago twice in 20 days, once at 66 and again at 68. I’m in very good shape for my age and rarely take days off. Burgos to Sarria is my favorite part of the Camino.

Thanks so much! We might have crossed paths. We started in SJPP on May 20th in 2022. I am excited to go back and complete the walk. This year I want to start earlier, like May 1st or so, to get through the Meseta without the heat ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Based on your previous Camino experiences, I would suggest 20-23 days. I have walked from Burgos to Santiago twice in 20 days, once at 66 and again at 68. I’m in very good shape for my age and rarely take days off. Burgos to Sarria is my favorite part of the Camino.
Yes, I am excited for this part of the trip and will love returning to Burgos. Thanks for your feedback!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Check out this webpage https://godesalco.com/plan/frances It is a Camino Planner tool where you chose your daily itinerary... you can look at the distances between towns - and what services are available in each town. Select the towns that you want to stay in and then you can figure out how long it will take you based on the distances you use. Select "Burgos" as your starting point and "Santiago" as your end point then "submit". Next page you can look at distances and select where you think you might want to stay. For example - from Burgos, Rabe de las Calzadas is 13km away and has an albergue plus two hotels - so that might be where you want to spend the first night. Select that... then look at the next town 10-13km and select the one with the amenities you want. It is a great tool to plan your Camino with. Once you select all your stopping points... then you can submit and get printable lists for where you want to stay. You can even add the number of nights you want to spend in each town to calculate your itinerary with rest days.

I took 30 days, including 3 very short days at the beginning and end, and for the punishing section from Foncedabon to El Acebo. Mostly 15-20 k per day. One day was spent in Leon, and I bussed from Mansilla into the city, then out to La Virgen as suggested in the Brierley guide. It was a very leisurely walk.
I walked most of it with an 80 year old friend, and it was good to build up stamina by starting on the Meseta.
You've picked a lovely time of year to walk.

Check out this webpage https://godesalco.com/plan/frances It is a Camino Planner tool where you chose your daily itinerary... you can look at the distances between towns - and what services are available in each town. Select the towns that you want to stay in and then you can figure out how long it will take you based on the distances you use. Select "Burgos" as your starting point and "Santiago" as your end point then "submit". Next page you can look at distances and select where you think you might want to stay. For example - from Burgos, Rabe de las Calzadas is 13km away and has an albergue plus two hotels - so that might be where you want to spend the first night. Select that... then look at the next town 10-13km and select the one with the amenities you want. It is a great tool to plan your Camino with. Once you select all your stopping points... then you can submit and get printable lists for where you want to stay. You can even add the number of nights you want to spend in each town to calculate your itinerary with rest days.
Thanks, I have another planner tool that never seemed to work. I will try this one. Appreciate the info.

I walked that section of CF in May/June; Burgos to Santiago. I walked 21 days. It’s just over 500km. Of course everything is relative but averaging 25 kms per day was comfortable and just to my liking. I hope to return next May with my wife and we will probably repeat same 500 kms. There are some absolutely wonderful albergues and Galicia is a treat. I planned some distances so I could stop at Casa Susi in Trabadelo and it was just amazing. As I say everything is relative, I had the time but the Camino is special. In my opinion it’s to be savoured. You will love it!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, I have another planner tool that never seemed to work. I will try this one. Appreciate the info.
Hope it helps! You can pair the planning tool with "gronze.com" for more information. Gronze is in Spanish, but a chrome browser can translate to English... and you can get all the info you need on accommodations in each town along the Camino that you think you might stop in.

Also - keep your plans flexible and try to avoid totally booking far ahead (booking in the morning or night before is fine). Why? You may find you want to walk further each day, or you may want to walk shorter distances each day, or you may simply say "this is a nice place that I want to stay and explore". If you don't book ahead, especially not more than 24 hours in advance, then you have lots of flexibility. Very few places require booking further in advance (Orisson is the biggest, and the new albergue Borda near Orisson - they book out months in advance.)

I walked that section of CF in May/June; Burgos to Santiago. I walked 21 days. It’s just over 500km. Of course everything is relative but averaging 25 kms per day was comfortable and just to my liking. I hope to return next May with my wife and we will probably repeat same 500 kms. There are some absolutely wonderful albergues and Galicia is a treat. I planned some distances so I could stop at Casa Susi in Trabadelo and it was just amazing. As I say everything is relative, I had the time but the Camino is special. In my opinion it’s to be savoured. You will love it!!
Yes, I am excited to go back. What was it like in early May (I started last year on May 20). I would love to hear about the albergues that you found to be wonderful. This time going back, I will seek more nice, fun, special albergues - I find that they really make the experience that much more fun. From SJPP to Burgos we had some wonderful experiences and places, and then a few that were, um, not so much fun. Thanks for your feedback.

Hope it helps! You can pair the planning tool with "gronze.com" for more information. Gronze is in Spanish, but a chrome browser can translate to English... and you can get all the info you need on accommodations in each town along the Camino that you think you might stop in.

Also - keep your plans flexible and try to avoid totally booking far ahead (booking in the morning or night before is fine). Why? You may find you want to walk further each day, or you may want to walk shorter distances each day, or you may simply say "this is a nice place that I want to stay and explore". If you don't book ahead, especially not more than 24 hours in advance, then you have lots of flexibility. Very few places require booking further in advance (Orisson is the biggest, and the new albergue Borda near Orisson - they book out months in advance.)
Yes, so funny you say that about Orisson - it was the only one we booked far in advance. Last year we would book only 24 hours ahead - though some cities like Logroño and Pamplona we would book ahead by 2 days since they get mobbed. Staying flexible is key. as I do like to vary long and short walks. Thanks,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much! We might have crossed paths. We started in SJPP on May 20th in 2022. I am excited to go back and complete the walk. This year I want to start earlier, like May 1st or so, to get through the Meseta without the heat ...
Could've crossed path with me - started from SJPdP on the 21st, spent a night in Orisson and then to Roncesvalles .....

I walked that exact route from June to July and it also took me 21 days of walking (with no rest days, and only taking the bus from Mansilla to Leon). I found that some of the short days were like rest days, but other folks took 2 or more - sometimes planned, sometimes when hurt. I agree with the post above that starting in Burgos was much easier to get my legs and feet under me than starting in SJPP (from the experience of others as well) and I loved the journey.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.