• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying women's hiking pants in Australia

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I am struggling to find quick dry hiking pants. I am short (5 foot 4 or 163cm I think) and curvy (size 14/16) and I have tried Kathmandu and Anaconda. Pants seem to all be designed for much taller slimmer hipped/tummied ladies than me...VERY long in the legs and tight across tummy if they fit elsewhere. I was hoping for a full length with either the ability to roll up or zip the legs off but I am starting to think I will be buying whichever pair fits. Part of the issue is that there are fewer shops on the Sunshine Coast where I live and the sizes are very much picked over and gone so it is hard to work out which brand might be a better fit for my build. Buying online is possible but given fit issues not ideal. I can travel to Brisbane for more options. Any Aussie ladies have any advice?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you tried Paddy Palin? They are in Fortitude Valley, Bris. Full disclosure, we got all of our clothes from Kathmandu but did buy my shoes from PP. I am 5'7"and the length was good, so I can see they would be too long for you.

What about these?
or
or

I am struggling to find quick dry hiking pants. I am short (5 foot 4 or 163cm I think) and curvy (size 14/16) and I have tried Kathmandu and Anaconda. Pants seem to all be designed for much taller slimmer hipped/tummied ladies than me...VERY long in the legs and tight across tummy if they fit elsewhere. I was hoping for a full length with either the ability to roll up or zip the legs off but I am starting to think I will be buying whichever pair fits. Part of the issue is that there are fewer shops on the Sunshine Coast where I live and the sizes are very much picked over and gone so it is hard to work out which brand might be a better fit for my build. Buying online is possible but given fit issues not ideal. I can travel to Brisbane for more options. Any Aussie ladies have any advice?
Try Merrel, I have the shorts, but they must make pants too. They make a comfortable long short with zipped pockets. They seem to fit all shapes. The pockets are the right size to put a phone in. I got mine in NZ, but I'm sure you'll have stockists there. Im a lot shorter than you. Personally I find Kathmandu shapes terrible, cut for a person without curves, I worked in an office once above one of their stores, so shopping there was convenient but even the thinnest girls couldn't find a good fit. They need to revisit their patterns.
A couple of weeks ago my husband bought some awesome pants - I'll get the brand off those as Im sure they have long pants too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not sure what the situation is in Qld with regards to Mountain Designs (all Tassie stores closed last year) but their sizing was always more generous than their slimmer-fitting competitors. You could also try MacPac...they too have a store in Fortitude Valley + Chermside & DFO near the airport (I Googled it!)
Another option (a bit outside the box) might be to try Army-disposals type stores or workwear stores...more than a few times I've found the exact item in stores like that & for about half the price.
Good luck with your search. 👣 🌏

Have you tried Paddy Palin? They are in Fortitude Valley, Bris. Full disclosure, we got all of our clothes from Kathmandu but did buy my shoes from PP. I am 5'7"and the length was good, so I can see they would be too long for you.

What about these?
or
or
They all look like contenders and I’m actually in that area next weekend so I will go and try some on! Thanks 😁

For my two caminos I wore Mountain Designes. I'm smaller (size 10), but quite curvy. The cuts there were definitely more comfortable than other brands.

This year i replaced it for a Decathlon pair, but from the men's section. The women pants were beautiful, but had no room for curves at all. Then i just got a male cut and adjusted with a belt. BTW, the male has more pockets as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure what the situation is in Qld with regards to Mountain Designs (all Tassie stores closed last year) but their sizing was always more generous than their slimmer-fitting competitors. You could also try MacPac...they too have a store in Fortitude Valley + Chermside & DFO near the airport (I Googled it!)
Another option (a bit outside the box) might be to try Army-disposals type stores or workwear stores...more than a few times I've found the exact item in stores like that & for about half the price.
Good luck with your search. 👣🌏
Thanks! It looks like MD is closed but I can get to Macpac. I hadn’t even heard of them so that is a good tip. Hopefully I won’t end up at the army disposal though that is where we went for school backpacks when I was a teenager!

Wild Earth on the Goldcoast has a great online store too. I bought “Wild Country” pants because they have elastic waist, zip pockets(anti theft), zip off legs, fast drying, lots of pockets and reasonable price, I’m size 12, about your size. Good luck. I’m in Sunshine Coast too

Thanks! It looks like MD is closed but I can get to Macpac. I hadn’t even heard of them so that is a good tip. Hopefully I won’t end up at the army disposal though that is where we went for school backpacks when I was a teenager!
Desperate times call for desperate measures! 😄 I was sorry to see the demise of MD (although they're saying they'll be back...) as they were a good fit. MacPac are a long-standing NZ company who've been in Australia for quite awhile now. At least they're giving the Kathmandu juggernaut a run for their money. Happy 👖shopping.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wild Earth on the Goldcoast has a great online store too. I bought “Wild Country” pants because they have elastic waist, zip pockets(anti theft), zip off legs, fast drying, lots of pockets and reasonable price, I’m size 12, about your size. Good luck. I’m in Sunshine Coast too
Thanks! Well I have to go to the GC in March so I can have a look!

For me Helly Hanson’s worked very well. It was like I was wearing nothing. Columbia had some that worked as well. But I had to go for the least expensive I could find and these worked well no undue rubbIng. Like shoes wear them a bit. A fellow pilgrim had borrowed her gear from friend and kids, three Spanish students went in sneakers, so they all arrived.

I have bought a variety in price and weight and my favourite were the cheapest at 49.95 and they are a brand called crane. I got them from cradle mtn tasmania but guessing they have a web site :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm 5ft 2in and I bought Kathmandu zip-offs which were too long and had them taken up at the tailors. Couldn't tell the difference.

I am quite a bit shorter than you and basically gave up on pants! I walked in skirt, with tights when it got cold. It worked perfectly for me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have you looked at these.

You can order online.
I got some of those they are ok, but you need to check that your upper leg muscles are not impeded by the zipper. The zipper rubs the inside legs. For me I’d rather have the zipper lower after the knee. There are the 3/4 length much better for me.

I am quite a bit shorter than you and basically gave up on pants! I walked in skirt, with tights when it got cold. It worked perfectly for me!
I saw that Columbia has a skirt with shorts combined. Maybe something would suit you aswell

Try Kathmandu miro pants. They don't zip off but they are lightweight and can be dressed up. I'm pear shaped and they are a good fit for curvy hips and thighs. The waist has a drawstring, as well as a zip, so they can be adjusted to fit your waist.
You could always just shorten the legs if they are too long.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have bought a variety in price and weight and my favourite were the cheapest at 49.95 and they are a brand called crane. I got them from cradle mtn tasmania but guessing they have a web site :)
Crane is an Aldi brand and my Cranes (zip off pants) shorts outlasted my much more expensive Columbia pants.

I am 159 cm and being short all long pants are just too long on me and so I wear the Miro women’s stretch shorts from Kathmandu and I find them to be all I need. They come to just past my knees and I can wear tights under them if it’s cold, they have plenty of outside pockets which I find to be very handy, a drawstring through the waist band to draw tighter for the weight that I lose and when it’s raining my rain coat covers my shorts and I stay dry.

Crane is an Aldi brand and my Cranes (zip off pants) shorts outlasted my much more expensive Columbia pants.
oh. I wondered where they were from as i couldn't see a company when I googled them. I am very happy with them and will take them on my April camino :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
wild fire at Milton?

https://www.mont.com.au/women/women-shorts-pants Yjis company makes some fabulous gear. I just LOVE the Adventure shorts and they come in a long version..these have a half elastic waist , adjustable half belt and huge pockets like I have seen on no other garment. The legs are comfortably loose and paddy pallid also stocks them . I highly recommend!! I also like Macpac hiking tights which stretch in all directions and seem indestructible no matter how many rocks i hop on my bum :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.