• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling all Camino men........

auldies

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Just wondering what you all take for evening wear and what is considered suitable for attending church?
My hubby has tights/leggings and shorts for walking, but clearly this won't be acceptable for the above.
Hope you can help as we head off in 3 weeks and will be walking late April/May.
Carol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking pants that can be unzipped into shorts. No unzipping if the weather is cold. One pair to walk and another pair to carry. Rotate them every day after shower. Washed every few days or if I encounter dirty patches..

Save weight and still look respectable enough for church. It is okay to go in looking like a walking pilgrim.

I used North Face Zip-Off hiking pants, shorts for walking if its warm and longs for the evenings. I'm not a fan of big brand names but they have the best combination of long shorts and loads of pockets.

x2 for these Northface pants. Not what one would see back home in a church (at least usually) but on the Pilgrim trail a common sight!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wear what you walk in. Not a problem on the camino.

Even if wearing tights/leggings under shorts in church, that's really just Camino-chic, and you won't get anything other than a curious glance, if that.

On my last camino, I took two sets of convertible backpacking pants/shorts and long sleeve backpacking shirts, and I never received a second glance in church or any of the restaurants/bars or hostels along the way. I would put the clean set on after showering in the afternoon and then wash the dirty set from the morning's walk. The only time I heard of anyone getting a second glance was when a group of college kids stayed in the parador in Leon (all six in the same room), and they were particularly ratty looking to boot.

On my upcoming one, I'll take essentially the same two pair of day clothes, plus a third nearly identical set for evening attire. The reasoning isn't about better appearance in the evening (although that could be done with minor changes to the clothing selection), but about the convenience of only having to wash every other day rather than every day. I found that laundry took up more time than I wanted, which meant less time to explore the town I'd arrived in. The third set will also give me more flexibility to extend to a third day without washing if, say, it's cold and rainy and the albergue doesn't have a dryer.

A caution on using leggings . . . if they are pull-up/down single leg leggings, they may work well for warmth with moderate walking about town, but they tend to rub raw (at least on me) on the inner thigh with repeated use and extended walking. Unless you're really practiced with your gear and know that won't be a problem, I would recommend using a pair that wears like a pair of pants. Less convenient to put on and off, but far less likely to generate chafing and actual sores that could be problematic for infection and hurt like crazy.

Just wondering what you all take for evening wear and what is considered suitable for attending church?
My hubby has tights/leggings and shorts for walking, but clearly this won't be acceptable for the above.
Carol

Hello Carol,
It's not uncommon for folks to wear the clothes they walk in for evening wear or attending church.

I would guess the act of worship is seen to be more important by locals than what the worshipper wears, provided it is somewhat respectable of the surroundings.

If hubby is 'sensitive' towards the feelings of other church-goers (which is a good thing for me), then maybe ditch the walking shorts and take a pair of zip-trousers?

Buen (appropriately-dressed, church-going) Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Carol
All perfectly acceptable considering we are on a long distance walk carrying our gear. As long as he's showered first. o_O

Just wondering what you all take for evening wear and what is considered suitable for attending church?QUOTE]

In the evening, along with many other folk, I utilise the clothes I will wear the next day. My pants are zipoffs making them imo suitable for dining or church.
Regards
Gerard

Wear what you walk in. Not a problem on the camino.
This is generally true. On the Camino, it really depends on your sensibilities. However, that's not always true. I was in an adventure race in Vietnam several years back. The course took us through a holy site on top of a peak in Nothern Vietnam. I was wearing running shorts and got reamed by a Vietnamese woman for showing disrespect in such a place.
On the Camino, and as others have said, I wear zip-off short/pants. They work great because that's their purpose and have a variety of pockets. For a shirt, rather than simply a t-shirt, I pack a button-down, collared REI brand shirt. It's wrinkle free, light and looks presentable.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Carol!
I always try to go to church on Sundays - and during the week if I find one open [quite rare].
The RC churches are VERY welcoming to anyone who comes: they didn't have the Reformation like we did in England, and consider Anglicans to be long lost 'cousins'.
Mantillas [head covering] is no longer necessary for ladies attending services. Shorts and trousers are OK for men and women.
However, just be fairly decent - I have occasionally given Communion, and been quite distracted by low cut blouses in front of me :oops:.
Blessings from East Anglia.....

The priests and local villagers along the Camino have been seeing pilgrims in all sorts of clothing for more than one thousand years. As long as you are covered and appropriately dressed, and Pilgrim attire counts, you should be okay.

That said, wearing shorts in any of the churches I have visited is a COLD experience. My recommendation would be long, zip-off hiking trousers. They cover (no pun intended) all occasions.

I hope this helps.

This is generally true. On the Camino, it really depends on your sensibilities. However, that's not always true. I was in an adventure race in Vietnam several years back. The course took us through a holy site on top of a peak in Nothern Vietnam. I was wearing running shorts and got reamed by a Vietnamese woman for showing disrespect in such a place.
On the Camino, and as others have said, I wear zip-off short/pants. They work great because that's their purpose and have a variety of pockets. For a shirt, rather than simply a t-shirt, I pack a button-down, collared REI brand shirt. It's wrinkle free, light and looks presentable.

Buen Camino!
Thats why i said, not a problem on the CAMINO.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also walk in tights and shorts and my evening wear :) is a black Patagonia Houdini pants ( 4.3 oz) its my all around pants and it works great as a wind breaker too and a clean t shirt black off course :)

zzotte

Carol

My husband and I walked CF fall 2015 and went to pilgrim mass nearly every day. We worn what we walked in and that was generally the case for others. Perhaps in hot weather ladies might want to wear a cover for spaghetti strap
shirts etc. Buen camino!

As with some of the others, I like my hiking pants/shorts with the zip-off legs (mine are Royal Robbins brand). The bottoms of the pants can be folded over with velcro tabs and unfold wide enough to slip off or on over my boots...handy for a quick change for any purpose, especially if the weather changes quickly.

I am planning to start walking from St. Jean Pied-de-Port on April 14, so may see you along the Way!

Buen Camino for each of you, and both of you! :)

Bruce

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree with above comments (mostly). I worked on the principle that as long as what I was wearing was clean (longs and shirt) it was generally acceptable in both church and cafe. I even wore this style of dress at the Parador in Leon, as did many other pilgrims. As far as I can remember none of the locals made any comment about my dress standards, a lot did recognise me as a pilgrim and asked the usual questions.
I think if you are considering eating at a 4 star restaurant then maybe you need something extra - but in general even in Burgos/Leon/Astorga they are very accepting of pilgrims. Cheers for now

I also walk in tights and shorts and my evening wear :) is a black Patagonia Houdini pants ( 4.3 oz) its my all around pants and it works great as a wind breaker too and a clean t shirt black off course :)

zzotte

Really like the look of the Patagonia Houdini pants!
Trying to find a local stockist is proving almost impossible.
We may have left our run too late to buy on-line.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As with some of the others, I like my hiking pants/shorts with the zip-off legs (mine are Royal Robbins brand). The bottoms of the pants can be folded over with velcro tabs and unfold wide enough to slip off or on over my boots...handy for a quick change for any purpose, especially if the weather changes quickly.

I am planning to start walking from St. Jean Pied-de-Port on April 14, so may see you along the Way!

Buen Camino for each of you, and both of you! :)

Bruce

Thank you Bruce. All good advice.
We will definitely keep a look out for you along The Way.
Buen Camino to you too.

Thank you all for all the great advice.
The general consensus seems to be hiking pants.
Do any pilgrims wear jeans??

Very few wear jeans, a few, perhaps walking short sections, as day-trippers.

Jeans generally are a no-no when walking, cotton based and if wet get cold and draw heat from the body. Also take longer to dry and can be heavy.

Some pilgrims may post then ahead to Santiago to wear as fresh clothes after they arrive.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Really like the look of the Patagonia Houdini pants!
Trying to find a local stockist is proving almost impossible.
We may have left our run too late to buy on-line.

It's a store in Spain called decathlon it may not have the Patagonia but I bought something very similar one year, another is Corte Ingles (large city) Buen Camino

Zzotte

I'm also a tights, shorts and Houdini pants wearer. Only a back pocket on the Houdini's so I use an 4 in 1 pack for around town.

I managed to go 6 months in just shorts/leggings and that included Mosques in Turkey as well. Seems like religions have lightened up some.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I was planning my Camino, I was meeting with an old man from Galicia who told me a gentleman wouldn't go out for the evening and would certainly never go to church without a jacket. I brought one, wore it more often than anything else I carried, enjoyed feeling like I was a regular part of the crowd. If your sensibilities are to be less casual for evening/church then by all means, pack something less casual for these times. Besides, it still gets pretty chilly in the evenings in April/May and who wouldn't want to be that guy who gets to pretend he's not freezing so he can offer up his jacket to the wife when they're on their way to the café/bar/dinner/strolling.....

Carol

Church clothes anything goes, PJ's i am taking merino wool body fit leggings and long sleeve shirt to wear inside the silk mummy bag, no sleeping bag. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sending a big thank you to all the Camino men who provided such excellent advice.
Success! Today my husband found a pair of Patagonia Quandry hiking pants and they really do seem to tick all the boxes.
Lightweight, comfy, a bit of stretch, weather-resistant (DWR), sun protection, wash and wear, lots of pockets and a gusseted crotch (important apparently :cool:).
They will be excellent for plane travel and after trekking evening wear as well as church suitable.
An added plus is that they could easily be worn casually when not on the Camino.
The jeans will stay safely tucked away in the wardrobe until our return ;)
Thanks again everyone and Buen Camino to all.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.