• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling , texting from the CF.

chuckhibbs

Time of past OR future Camino
Please excuse my ignorance of communicating from CF, but after reading various comments, if I were to make or receive calls or send texts or videos, using WhatsApp there would be no additional charge ? Thank you for the information.
Chuck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please excuse my ignorance of communicating from CF, but after reading various comments, if I were to make or receive calls or send texts or videos, using WhatsApp there would be no additional charge ? Thank you for the information.
Chuck
WhatsApp is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service and there are no additional charges over any payments required to access the internet. This might be through a data service you pay for, or through a WiFi connection somewhere like your accommodation, a bar or cafe, etc. Some may have restrictions on streaming videos, or capacity limitations where if you do that, you will be no-one's friend because you are consuming what might be limited bandwidth, degrading everyone else's access. They will blame the establishment for this, because it won't be obvious that someone posting large videos is the cause of the poor service quality!

Last edited:
Chuck
Correct

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not completely correct. If he were to use his phone's cellular data plan there could be a charge. There is no charge if using a free WiFi service.

@chuckhibbs - What kind of phone plan are you using while on the Camino? Do you have a plan that provides free data roaming while abroad? If not, you may want to turn off data roaming to avoid charges.

Not completely correct. If he were to use his phone's cellular data plan there could be a charge. There is no charge if using a free WiFi service.

@chuckhibbs - What kind of phone plan are you using while on the Camino? Do you have a plan that provides free data roaming while abroad? If not, you may want to turn off data roaming to avoid charges.
Thank you all. As for what type of plan I currently have regarding free data roaming while traveling, I’ll need to check with my provider.
Thank you !
Chuck

WhatsApp is no charge so long as you are on a third party (cafe, albergue) Wi-Fi network. I see you are coming from the US. For me, when I did the CF in 2016, I had Sprint and only used my cellular a few times and wasn’t charged (maybe that’s why Sprint no longer exists 😉). Recently I did the CP and was charged $10 per day by Verizon. That charge was activated once I actually used the cellular data. So for the days I didn’t use cellular data I made sure to turn cellular off on my phone so there would be no mistakes. When I needed to use cellular I just turned it back on and then off when I was done. However you can easily get by with just using Wi-Fi data the whole time and never turning on your cellular.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It is true that you are using data. I can tell you that here in Mexico everyone basically only uses whatsapp (I am sure you know this). I have spoken to people that go to the store to recharge and pay 40 or 50 pesos and they tell me it lasts for a couple of weeks. My cell phone plane does not deduct whatsapp usage, facebook or I think Instagram. But I never use the latter two.

I freely admit to being a Luddite and have found that keeping my phone on airplane mode while traveling works for me. I only use the phone when I have access to Wi-Fi - which works even on airplane mode. I can take the phone off airplane mode and use it to make calls if necessary, which I did twice this last time and it cost about 50¢ for the calls. This helps to keep me off the phone, present, and yet connected. I find that many places now use WhatsApp for inquiries which helps a great deal. My provider is Consumer Cellular.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a long distance plan with my cell provider in Canada, but before boarding my train to Pamplona from Madrid (Sept. 2022), I bought a SIM card for 15 euros for 30 days of service at a convenience store and the fellow explained the service and even installed it for me. Best thing I could have done; the only downside there were a few times I entered a hotel, albergue or large restaurant, where the location would shut my WiFi access and required me to log on to theirs. But I found that to be mildly inconvenient compared to the benefit it provided.

I had to buy a top up for that card when the 30-day expired as I was staying an additional 30 days in Spain.

the only downside there were a few times I entered a hotel, albergue or large restaurant, where the location would shut my WiFi access and required me to log on to theirs.
That doesn't really make sense. The sim card provides cellular data, not wifi. You could avoid that issue by turning wifi off so that your phone is forced to use your data plan.

But of course when the hotel wifi is free it may be a better option unless it's really slow, or you will be doing something sensitive on your phone like banking, in which case you should avoid public WiFi.

It's gotten a lot better lately . . . I have T-Mobile and get 5GB of international high speed (5G) data per month; once I've consumed it, the speed drops back down to 3G but I can still access cellular data. I recently traveled to Australia / New Zealand and didn't even have high speed data most of the time, so data access was free.

T Mobile also offers a daily unlimited international data + calling plan but isn't worth it (as long as you're not trying to keep up with your Netflix shows).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked CF this July I had intended to keep my AT&T phone on airplane mode. I wasn't in the Madrid Airport for 15 minutes before I had issues accessing something and turned my service back on. AT&T is $10 per 24 hours, with a max of 10 days in a billing period. So, I left it on for the entire 17 days I was in Spain. I did have to remove my roaming block in order for the internet to work. It was very helpful having access to my network for accessing gronze to find the right accommodation that my son and I were to meet at or if I needed to use WhatsApp when not at a Cafe.

Bob

If you've not already signed up to WhatsApp I suggest you do so while still in your country of origin. That way your current mobile number becomes your WhatsApp number. If you temporarily swap out your sim card for a prepaid sim in Europe you don't have to change your WhatsApp number. This can be beneficial if you have already shared your mobile number with, say, accommodation providers. They can still reach you on WhatsApp. And in Spain, WhatsApp definitely seems to be the preferred mode of contact.

Since I started using WhatsApp while in Spain (primarily over Wifi), it has become my preferred choice for texts and chats even after returning home.

Last edited:
When I walked CF this July I had intended to keep my AT&T phone on airplane mode. I wasn't in the Madrid Airport for 15 minutes before I had issues accessing something and turned my service back on. AT&T is $10 per 24 hours, with a max of 10 days in a billing period. So, I left it on for the entire 17 days I was in Spain. I did have to remove my roaming block in order for the internet to work. It was very helpful having access to my network for accessing gronze to find the right accommodation that my son and I were to meet at or if I needed to use WhatsApp when not at a Cafe.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the information. I have AT&T and just signed up for the same international calling plan.
Chuck

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
WhatsApp is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service and there are no additional charges over any payments required to access the internet. This might be through a data service you pay for, or through a WiFi connection somewhere like your accommodation, a bar or cafe, etc. Some may have restrictions on streaming videos, or capacity limitations where if you do that, you will be no-one's friend because you are consuming what might be limited bandwidth, degrading everyone else's access. They will blame the establishment for this, because it won't be obvious that someone posting large videos is the cause of the poor service quality!
I am so glad I came across this thread...I am a widow undertaking her first camino next month I am walk for 3 local local charities (at home) and promised the people underwriting my walk that I would upload where I was every day...perhaps a 15 second short. Am I going to make a lot of enemies? Not my intention at all!

Am I going to make a lot of enemies? Not my intention at all!
Two things would need to happen. First, a short download won't have the same network load as someone streaming YouTube, Netflix, whatever Twitter is this week, etc. But if other pilgrims complain, you will know that someone, not necessarily you, is chewing up the available bandwidth. Second, if they do that, and you say something like 'I might have caused that. I was downloading a couple of updates on WhatsApp for my friends.' night after night, those that remember might get a bit peevish. But in the main, this is hidden behaviour, and not even you might know whether you are using a lot or just a little of the available bandwidth.

You might consider setting up a group in WhatsApp, Facebook, or whatever social media platform you are using. Rather than sharing with others individually or over several smaller groups, you can then share with a larger group with one post. I do that in WhatsApp, but I also use this forum and some camino related Facebook groups, to keep family and friends informed about what I am doing.

I would also make sure that your family and friends know that there might be days, or even several days, where you don't keep in touch. Establish with them how long they might need to be patient before raising an alert about your safety, and who should do that if you have been out of touch longer than your agreed wait time. There are still going to be places on the camino where there will be no mobile service, and no WiFi where you are staying, and being in continual daily contact won't be practicable.

Gracias. I will keep in mind brevity (less than 15 seconds) and then done. I am practicing (here in my neighborhood) doing shorts that are short and simple. I do have what's app and am getting an international plan through verizon. I understand that most european locations only have 3G. I will be respectful of time on bandwith. Buen camino. If you want to see my latest example...(it is longish at 40 seconds) but it gives you idea... youtube: The Whimsical Byzantine

Not true - I had 5G and 4G everywhere.
You can find network coverage maps on the web. Data is very often crowdsourced, but they will give you some idea where there is no coverage. There are always going to be areas without any coverage, but they are less common these days. Getting 4G or 5G is still not going to be ubiquitous.

Here are two network mapping sites:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can find network coverage maps on the web. Data is very often crowdsourced, but they will give you some idea where there is no coverage. There are always going to be areas without any coverage, but they are less common these days. Getting 4G or 5G is still not going to be ubiquitous
I should have said almost everywhere.

But my comment was in response to the post saying that most european locations only have 3G, which isn't true.

Cell phone plans for tourists are very cheap in Spain. I go to a Vodafone store and they put a SIM card into my phone for me. At the moment they are selling 28 day plans for 10 euros that includes calls back to the USA and Canada (up to 300 minutes!), calls in Spain, and 50 GB of data. It changes my phone number, so I don't get any calls from home, but I can chat with everyone on WhatsApp, even while walking in the middle of nowhere. I probably wouldn't do that on the Frances, but I was walking alone for 3 weeks and sometimes it was nice to chat while walking. As some of my trips have been longer than 28 days I just drop by another store and top up the card. This past spring I had 5G many days, especially when walking near the high speed rail lines. As for your original question, texting isn't included. In Spain people use whatsapp or make a phone call.

You can find network coverage maps on the web. Data is very often crowdsourced, but they will give you some idea where there is no coverage. There are always going to be areas without any coverage, but they are less common these days. Getting 4G or 5G is still not going to be ubiquitous.

Here are two network mapping sites:

Really great informacion, printed and saved ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I should have said almost everywhere.

But my comment was in response to the post saying that most european locations only have 3G, which isn't true.
Unless someone is using their mobile absolutely every step of the way, its possible that it will appear that they are getting 4G or even 5G most or all of the time. The other thing to note about the two network mapping sites I provided is that they both rely on crowdsourced reception data. Even in towns, there will be a bias towards the points where this data is collected being on roads, which shows up pretty clearly on the maps. Given that we, as pilgrims, are walking on less well travelled roads compared to motorists, it will look like some parts of the pilgrimage routes are less well covered. It might be the situation, but it might just be that there aren't a lot of people reporting network coverage from these places.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.