• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino App

John Cook

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Sep 23 Portuguese from Lisboa
Hi,
I'm currently in Seville and about to start the Via de la Plata tomorrow and had wanted to use the daily planner option in the Buen Camino App, just as I did on the Norte last year.
The app is asking me to make a donation but will only accept payment via PayPal. I live in the UK and by using a VPN app, I can access my PayPal account, using the password stored on my phone. However, I can't remember my password and won't accept any of the only four passwords I've ever used and Google play doesn't seem able to let me access my account to change the password.
I've tried to use the Wise Pilgrim App for Other Routes but it just comes up with the Frances and even then, doesn't work so I've deleted that.
All the other apps I've found require payment via PayPal, with the same result so does anyone know of any app that I can use that doesn't need me to insert my PayPal password.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can you tell me what isn’t working about the All Caminos app? The hamburger Ivón in the upper left should take you to the side menus where you can choose the Vía de la Plata and then later the Camino Sanabrés.

Hi,
I'm currently in Seville and about to start the Via de la Plata tomorrow and had wanted to use the daily planner option in the Buen Camino App, just as I did on the Norte last year.
The app is asking me to make a donation but will only accept payment via PayPal. I live in the UK and by using a VPN app, I can access my PayPal account, using the password stored on my phone. However, I can't remember my password and won't accept any of the only four passwords I've ever used and Google play doesn't seem able to let me access my account to change the password.
I've tried to use the Wise Pilgrim App for Other Routes but it just comes up with the Frances and even then, doesn't work so I've deleted that.
All the other apps I've found require payment via PayPal, with the same result so does anyone know of any app that I can use that doesn't need me to insert my PayPal password.
That's strange, as only yesterday I made my donation using Google Pay, which uses my Visa debit card (I don't use PayPal), which went through instantly.
You could always change your PayPal password to a new one, which should solve your current dilemma: https://www.paypal.com/gf/cshelp/article/i-forgot-my-password-how-do-i-reset-it-help143

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think that you are required to make a donation to use the Buen Camino app.

I don't think that you are required to make a donation to use the Buen Camino app.
I think the app is free for everything except the option to edit the section 'Plan your stages', and for that it asks for a donation (though I do seem to remember that there was perhaps an option to email for a manual over-ride, though I cannot see that now that section has been opened up).

Hmm, I have donated, but not until after I used the app for a while. There was nothing to unlock - everything was fully functional before I made a donation.

However, i haven't used it for the VdlP, so maybet there's something different with that route

Have you tried contacting the developer? There's link in the app to contact info.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
Not answering your question, but...

I recently discovered on the VdlP that gronze has 'tracks' to download for each section. They open in maps.me

Really good!

I gave up on wikiloc after it kept telling me I was walking the track in reverse!!

That's strange, as only yesterday I made my donation using Google Pay, which uses my Visa debit card (I don't use PayPal), which went through instantly.
You could always change your PayPal password to a new one, which should solve your current dilemma: https://www.paypal.com/gf/cshelp/article/i-forgot-my-password-how-do-i-reset-it-help143
Unfortunately, it makes me go through my Google account to change the password and although I get a message saying access successful, nothing happens.
I can access PayPal in the UK, with no problems but going onto PayPal via the Buen Camino App requires me to manually enter my password. I've only ever used 4 passwords in my life and none of them work.
The App administrator has contacted me with instructions so he can adjust it manually but the phone id function doesn't work on the settings page.
Why are things so complicated these days? ☹️

May I suggest doing as I do, and using gronze.com for albergues and Outdoor Active, which works offline, for Camino routes? Both free. I find PayPal difficult always.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unfortunately, it makes me go through my Google account to change the password and although I get a message saying access successful, nothing happens.
I can access PayPal in the UK, with no problems but going onto PayPal via the Buen Camino App requires me to manually enter my password. I've only ever used 4 passwords in my life and none of them work.
The App administrator has contacted me with instructions so he can adjust it manually but the phone id function doesn't work on the settings page.
Why are things so complicated these days? ☹️
How annoying. It sounds as though the problem is in the memory. Have you tried clearing the cache (or even storage) of the relevant apps? Often works.

May I suggest doing as I do, and using gronze.com for albergues and Outdoor Active, which works offline, for Camino routes? Both free. I find PayPal difficult always.
Thank but nothing works. I'll use the App without the Plan Your Route option.
I just don't understand why so many people use PayPal for their payments, they must have to pay for it.

Hmm, I have donated, but not until after I used the app for a while. There was nothing to unlock - everything was fully functional before I made a donation.

However, i haven't used it for the VdlP, so maybet there's something different with that route

Have you tried contacting the developer? There's link in the app to contact info.
When I walked in 2021 there was no requirement for a donation to use the VDLP app. But that was 1 1/2 years ago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I gave up on wikiloc after it kept telling me I was walking the track in reverse!!
You can also download the tracks from Wikiloc and then open them in maps.me.

I have switched from maps.me, which made some changes a couple of years ago that I didn't like. I am now using the spin-off Organics Maps and am very happy with it. I download the tracks from various sources.

When I walked in 2021 there was no requirement for a donation to use the VDLP app. But that was 1 1/2 years ago.
I met a french lady two weeks ago and she was using the 'plan your route' option and hadn't been asked for a donation.
TBH the gpx file for the VDLP is not accurate in many places anyway. It misses out an entire 18?km option and the following morning I had to use Google maps to get me to Morille.
Coupled with a sometimes out of date and inaccurate, latest edition guide book and some missing waymarkers, navigating has sometimes been down to looking at the sun's location and heading north.
The gpx file seems more accurate now I'm on the Sanabres though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I met a french lady two weeks ago and she was using the 'plan your route' option and hadn't been asked for a donation.
TBH the gpx file for the VDLP is not accurate in many places anyway. It misses out an entire 18?km option and the following morning I had to use Google maps to get me to Morille.
Coupled with a sometimes out of date and inaccurate, latest edition guide book and some missing waymarkers, navigating has sometimes been down to looking at the sun's location and heading north.
The gpx file seems more accurate now I'm on the Sanabres though.
Sorry you had issues with your navigation tools. I was lucky as I did not encounter any problems. Going up to Salamanca, when in doubt go north haha.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.