• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino at Easter

MMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP - Los Arcos(2012)
Burgos(14)
León(15)
Villafranca(16)
SdC - Fisterra(17)
Valença - SdC (2019)
MMcA Having done stages of the CF in the past during July and August I've been thinking of walking Burgos - Leon around Easter ( This year 5th April).
What kind of weather would there at that time of year, will all the albergues be open and are the paths busy then?
Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Let me get my Crystal ball out ...
Ok ...
Weather in April between Burgos and Leon ...
Cold at night, often strong winds and more than occasional rains during the day, but also lovely sunshine and nearly hot around midday ...
Does that help? SY

Thanks SYates. No crystal ball necessary.
I was just wondering what to expect and so what to bring if I decide to go for it rather than wait for the predictable heat of the summer. Due to work I've no other option in between.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Seriously now: Prepare for all bare extreme heat and cold. Spanish pilgrims in abundance, as Easter is holidays/ vacation time in Spain and also other European countries. Albergues open, minus a few special cases like San Anton and San Nicolas de Puente Fitero. Spring time with lovely flowers and landscape - Enjoy your Camino! SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
MMcA Having done stages of the CF in the past during July and August I've been thinking of walking Burgos - Leon around Easter ( This year 5th April).
What kind of weather would there at that time of year, will all the albergues be open and are the paths busy then?
Thanks.
Hi, MMcA,

As previous poster stated we're not "fortune tellers" ;) although we do have some knowledge. For example, here's the web site where you can check weather in different towns on Frances (and others Caminos):
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/caminofrances/index.htm

But I'm quite shure our member falcon629 will soon join in with additional recipes :)

The albergues will open, it will not be crowded, unlikely to have extremes either heat or cold. Wear layers. A great time to walk. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am planning on being around Burgos at Easter as well. A lot will depend on where I start my Camino, and if I start on the 1st of Apr or May 23. My concern has more to do with Semana Santa than with Easter it's self. I have heard it is not like what I experienced in Sevilla. But are the traditions the same or similar, with the streets full of the parades and icons (not sure those are the right words) on the way to the cathedral? I cannot imagine walking through that with a backpack. I would say my actuall question is it advisable to avoid a place the size of Burgos the week before Easter?

I walked during Semana Santa last year and was in Burgos on Good Friday.
The was a lot of panic mongering because all albergues in Burgos were full by 16:30... But over the next few days I had no problem finding a bed at the albergues ahead and haven't experienced any crowds on the Way suring that time.
If you are concerned about accommodation I suggest you stop a bit earlier in the day.
Buen Camino!

If you know Semana Santa and don't want to see it again, yes, staying away from big places like Burgos is certainly a good idea. Also Semana Santa/Easter are vacation time in Spain, meaning lots of Spanish pilgrims will walk at least part of the route during this time of the year. Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi MMcA

I have walked on the Camino Frances twice during Semana Santa/Easter. There are more Spanish pilgrims during this week and that added to the experience. I witnessed the processions in Navarette and Azofra in 2011 and in Santiago in 2014.

Spring is a wonderful time on the camino! I always got a bed at the end of the day.

buen camino

Thanks everyone for the advise. I've finally booked flights for my Easter Camino. My usual Camino companion can't make it this time so it'll be a solo run. No doubt I'll me asking for more help before April Fool's Day!!!

My son went just before Easter 2012. Cold at times but not a drop of rain the whole way. I went same time 2013 and got a bit of everything. Scorching hot days, snow, rain and biting winds on the Meseta. Look at my avatar and see some snow in bottom right corner. Behind me looking up Alto de Perdon there was 6 inches of snow. Easter as you say is April 5th this year but that is Easter Sunday. The next morning, the Spanish go back to work so the numbers on the trail drop of. The Spanish holiday is Semana Santa/Holy Week and traditionally, many Spanish spend it on the Camino. You can meet family groups from 4 to a dozen people but I did not find the numbers were such as to make finding a bed in any way difficult. Many albergues only open at Easter for their camino season but some dont open till later. By the way, if you can get there for Holy Week, you are in for a treat. A real holiday/festival atmosphere

Hi all,

This is my first Camino and I will start from Astorga. I arrive in Madrid on April 1st and go straight to Astorga by ALSA. and since this year, easter will be on 5th April 2015. therefore I start my camino during Semana Santa, I'd like to ask few question. whether the ALSA bus schedule will be similar as the common days? where can I get my credential in Astorga? whether the restaurant or supermarket open during the semana santa.

Thank you

Hi all,

This is my first Camino and I will start from Astorga. I arrive in Madrid on April 1st and go straight to Astorga by ALSA. and since this year, easter will be on 5th April 2015. therefore I start my camino during Semana Santa, I'd like to ask few question. whether the ALSA bus schedule will be similar as the common days? where can I get my credential in Astorga? whether the restaurant or supermarket open during the semana santa.

Thank you

If you enter your origen and destino on the ALSA site then click the box 'consulta sin flecha' a list of schedules appears with start and end dates ... many of which are June and December 2015. That should be adequate for planning. Changes are rarely posted more than a month in advance so check again closer to date of travel.

If you are traveling on a holiday ... reservations are advised. I traveled new years day once and the line was around the bus station ... and that was for the washroom.

Semana Santa is not a continuous week of holidays. Work days everything is open. Holidays, usually two or three days out of Semana Santa, depending on which autonomous community you are in, everything is closed. Except, depending on what city you are in, the main grocery stores are open for a few hours and most restaurants will be open. Nothing reliable. I always stocked up on food in advance of any holiday (or strike) just in case ...

I don't know where you would get a credencial in Astorga. I would recommend getting in touch with your local confraternity and get one from them or from Ivar via this website. Get your credencial before you travel.

Thank you for a quick reply and helpful inputs, whariwharangi - really appreciate it. I don't think I can get a credential in my local confraternity, since pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela is not something common for Indonesian. and as far as I'm concern most of Indonesian who walked to Santiago de Compostela obtained their credential from SJDPP. I will ask Ivar about obtaining the credential from this website. thank you again and have a wonderful day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for a quick reply and helpful inputs, whariwharangi - really appreciate it. I don't think I can get a credential in my local confraternity, since pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela is not something common for Indonesian. and as far as I'm concern most of Indonesian who walked to Santiago de Compostela obtained their credential from SJDPP. I will ask Ivar about obtaining the credential from this website. thank you again and have a wonderful day.
Whitelily I walked from April 7 to May 8 2014 from SJPDP TO FINNESTARE. 2 days of rain, the next time I walk it will probably pour rain the entire time. You never know till you show up Just take a confirmed rain coat, gloves. I envy you as regardless of the weather it is fun.

My walking buddy and I will pick up from where we left off in Logrono March 25ish...and will be walking through Easter as well. Went shopping today to REI and looked at base layers. Oh the choices. Will be needing to purchase an Altus poncho once we get there. Had jackets from the StJPP to Logrono leg last september but did not need them. Thanks for the info on where to look for weather.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @MTtoCamino, thank you .. will include raincoat in my "packing list". I'm so excited, there's a yearning in my heart, that I don't understand. counting the days when I can finally walk the camino.

Flights booked for a Semana Santa Camino from 1st to 9th April! Thanks for the advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My walking buddy and I will pick up from where we left off in Logrono March 25ish...and will be walking through Easter as well. Went shopping today to REI and looked at base layers. Oh the choices. Will be needing to purchase an Altus poncho once we get there. Had jackets from the StJPP to Logrono leg last september but did not need them. Thanks for the info on where to look for weather.

I'm looking at rain gear myself. My son and I will be walking from March 24 through April 11. I'm still not sure where I'm starting... What is an Altus poncho? thanks,

kate

hi Kate

The Altus poncho is a rain 'cape' designed for pilgrims in that it fits over your backpack. I live in Australia but ordered mine from Spain before my first camino. I've walked the camino twice and found the Altus a good choice for me!

If you are interested do a search on this forum and you will find all you need to know - and more! Also, other forum members have been happy with different rain gear.

Spring is a wonderful time on the Camino.

buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.