• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Impact of early/late Easter on crowds

Rhody

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2023
Do people time their start around Easter? How does Easter typically impact crowds starting in SJPP? In 2023 Easter was 4/9 and we started 10 days later. It was busy and had to mostly make reservations for a place to stay. Also, there were more people since many delayed trips due to Covid. Was frustrating.

Thinking of walking again in 2025 but Easter is 4/20. Would leave USA around 4/22 and start around 4/25. Would this be a busier time since late April is better weather or is starting at SJPP not as impacted by Easter as starting in Sarria? I assume Sarria is busy the week after Easter.

Also impacting crowds may be people walking now who delayed due to Covid and more publicity about the Camino in movies, etc.

Would starting that late in April also hit big crowds in and past Sarria since it will be late May when we get there?

Nobody has a crystal ball but what are your thoughts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really don’t think it matters. For the Spanish Semana Santa is a significant festival and an opportunity to walk Camino. For the irreligious April is a popular time of year because the weather will, generally, be kinder and because businesses along the popular caminos gear their opening time to Semana Santa and the spring flush of pilgrims. There are “crowds” and there are “crowds”. Your definition of a crowd is likely to be different to mine. I would never time my arrival into Santiago for late July and the Fiesta Santiago. Far too many people. May? Probably tumbleweed time in comparison.

What exactly are you looking for? You want to walk the, probably, most popular foot pilgrimage route in the world but you want to do it while no one else is? Try December.

I try not to rant when I hear some of the 2.3 million per year cruise ship passengers blundering my beloved Barcelona moaning about how crowded Las Ramblas is. Somewhere between “everyone flocks there for the peace and solitude” and “nobody goes there, it’s too crowded” rests the burden we all bear on this poor benighted planet.

If you have the fortune and the time to take a Camino do it and try not to worry too much about what other people might be doing

Hi @Rhody - Welcome to the forum.

You seem to be aware that the dynamics of the crowds on the Frances are not simple, so your guess is as good as anyone's, but here are some thoughts.

In 2023 Easter was 4/9 and we started 10 days later. It was busy and had to mostly make reservations for a place to stay.
It was busy from SJPP because late April and May are always busy. When you say you mostly had to make reservations, is that because you wanted private reserved rooms? Normally after Pamplona, things ease up and there is availability for bunks in albergues across most of the central part of the Camino Frances.

Would starting that late in April also hit big crowds in and past Sarria since it will be late May when we get there?
The BIG crowds after Sarria are in July and August. There is generally capacity available in other months, except maybe Holy Week leading up to Easter.

is starting at SJPP not as impacted by Easter as starting in Sarria?
I think this is true - Starting at SJPP is not as impacted by Easter as starting in Sarria.

Thinking of walking again in 2025 but Easter is 4/20.
I think I would go just before Easter and plan to savour the experience on the Camino. Whether you need to book depends on what type of accommodation you want, and where you will be.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Agree there are crowds and then there are summer/festival crowds. In 2023, we had multiple instances of being turned away for a bunk bed, even early in the afternoon. Sometimes, even making reservations 5 days out we had issues and had to shorten/lengthen the days walk.

Every couple of days we sent an hour or 2 making reservations. It just added stress.

I don't want it empty but I also don't want the stress of where to stay. Sometimes starting a week or 2 earlier/later can make a difference. I just want to avoid a peak or surge if possible.

Edit: I'm not complaining, just trying to be strategic and not be part of the problem if I can help it since I have flexibility.

Last edited:
I try not to rant when I hear some of the 2.3 million per year cruise ship passengers blundering my beloved Barcelona moaning about how crowded Las Ramblas is. Somewhere between “everyone flocks there for the peace and solitude” and “nobody goes there, it’s too crowded” rests the burden we all bear on this poor benighted planet.
its like some of the threads on the Forum - folks complaining about "too many people on Camino when I walked" and someone always "gently" reminding them that "yes, but YOU were part of the problem"...
And although I am a part of the problem I do hate the cruise ships spill into any of those places. I think I can pretty much cross Dubrovnik off my list and I am not even remotely close to being a Games of Thrones disciple....
...and that said, the question beckons - if not for the "crowds" then WHAT GOOD is Las Ramblas for?!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Related question:

I know that on Easter weekend itself, hotels in cities will be booked up and trains/buses will be full as people travel to meet family.

But is that true for the rest of the Semana Santa as well?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back