• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the France
Hi every one
I have done three caminos and i am thinking of starting the Madrid to Santiago within a week or so. Can anyone give advice on how busy albergues are? do many pilgrims walk at this time of the year, the difficulty with distance and elevation, etc. or any other help i am walking by myself any info you can give thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Anton,

Many of us have walked the Madrid this year. I suggest that you look through the most recent threads in the Camino de Madrid forum. I walked it in June and here is my thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/off-i-go-from-iglesia-santiago.55978/

I walked alone and only saw two people while walking and only a few more every once and a while in the albergues. It is a very quiet Camino so you will not have a problem finding a bed.

Except for about two or three days when crossing the Guadarrama mountain range (the most beautiful part in my opinion) the Camino is terribly flat. I like walking long distances but there is also a thread by Peregrina2000 with shorter stages.

Buen Camino!

Hi every one
I have done three caminos and i am thinking of starting the Madrid to Santiago within a week or so. Can anyone give advice on how busy albergues are? do many pilgrims walk at this time of the year, the difficulty with distance and elevation, etc. or any other help i am walking by myself any info you can give thanks
This Camino is well marked. Anything else you can either find in CSJ guide (in resources section of this forum) which I didn't find accurate on several accounts, and especially here: https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-madrid (with distances, profiles, accommodation, infrastructure etc.). If you open it in Chrome you have option of translation.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Sheffield James," a character on this community, is on that trail right now, having walked south from Sahagun over the last week. Probably one day out of Madrid now. He's had no trouble finding a place to lay his head. Go for it, pilgrim.

Very empty! Lots of days we were the only ones in albergues. Lovely relaxing walk, but need to take food for 24 hours on several sections after Segovia.

I was hoping to go back next April/May to complete my aborted walk from Colmenor but the isolation is putting me off. Happy to walk alone most days but would like some company in the evenings.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was hoping to go back next April/May to complete my aborted walk from Colmenor but the isolation is putting me off. Happy to walk alone most days but would like some company in the evenings.
Company in the evening can be hit and miss. I was glad I walked with a friend.

Hi every one
Hi there, Anton! As Rebekah mentioned earlier, I am currently on the Madrid route and I’m happy to try to answer any specific questions you have.

My overnight stops have been:
1.) Santervas (municipal albergue shared with 1Dutch pilgrim)
2.) Medina de Rioseco (booked into a city hostal as arrived after dark)
3.) Medina de Rioseco (transferred to the Santa Clara for a second night after picking up a 24hr tummy bug. Sole occupant)
4.) Sigñuela (municipal albergue. 2 Spanish cyclists)
5.) Alcazarén (municipal albergue. 1 Spanish cyclist)
6.) Nava de la Asunción (municipal albergue. Sole occupant)
7.) Zamarramala/Segovia (municipal albergue. 1 Spanish cyclist)
8.) Segovia (transferred to a private hostal to enable me to take a side-trip to Valladolid)
9.) Cercedilla ( booked into the La Maya hostal as didn’t fancy the idea of having to arrange an overnight in the sports centre. A few options exist here ordinarily, though I felt fortunate to find a room on what was a national holiday weekend)
10.) Manzanares el Real (same problem as the night before, but fortunately a local bar owner sorted me out. I would have stayed at the private albergue in town, but for the fact the owners are out-of-town for the holiday weekend.
Mañana, I will book myself into a hostal in Tres Cantos, which will be my final night on the Camino de Madrid. I had envisaged staying in the municipal albergue, but I think it operates only on a Monday-Friday basis, and tomorrow is a Sunday.

As I’ve been travelling ‘against’ the flow, I’ve passed at least 20 pilgrims on foot over my eight actual walking days. The most number I recall seeing on a single day was 7, and only once or twice I saw no-one on the trail (though I did in the albergues at night).The numbers have tailed off in the past couple of days, but I did pass 2 yesterday + 1 this afternoon.

For anyone who is a regular on the forum, I have to say how delighted I was to get to meet Racheal - of “Kiwi family” fame - on the path between Villalón de Campos and Santervas. Going in opposite directions meant we spoke for only a short while, but it was great to put a face to the name of one of my most esteemed forum members.
Buen Camino!

Hi there, Anton! As Rebekah mentioned earlier, I am currently on the Madrid route and I’m happy to try to answer any specific questions you have.

3.) Medina de Rioseco (transferred to the Santa Clara for a second night after picking up a 24hr tummy bug. Sole occupant)
8.) Segovia (transferred to a private hostal to enable me to take a side-trip to Valladolid)
9.) Cercedilla ( booked into the La Maya hostal as didn’t fancy the idea of having to arrange an overnight in the sports centre. A few options exist here ordinarily, though I felt fortunate to find a room on what was a national holiday weekend)
10.) Manzanares el Real (same problem as the night before, but fortunately a local bar owner sorted me out. I would have stayed at the private albergue in town, but for the fact the owners are out-of-town for the holiday weekend.
Mañana, I will book myself into a hostal in Tres Cantos, which will be my final night on the Camino de Madrid. I had envisaged staying in the municipal albergue, but I think it operates only on a Monday-Friday basis, and tomorrow is a Sunday.

As I’ve been travelling ‘against’ the flow, I’ve passed at least 20 pilgrims on foot over my eight actual walking days. The most number I recall seeing on a single day was 7, and only once or twice I saw no-one on the trail (though I did in the albergues at night).The numbers have tailed off in the past couple of days, but I did pass 2 yesterday + 1 this afternoon.

For anyone who is a regular on the forum, I have to say how delighted I was to get to meet Racheal - of “Kiwi family” fame - on the path between Villalón de Campos and Santervas. Going in opposite directions meant we spoke for only a short while, but it was great to put a face to the name of one of my most esteemed forum members.
Buen Camino!
How wonderful. Rachael lives a couple of streets away from me and we met up before she left, as I had just returned from the Madrid and Salvador routes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve just completed the San Salvador after my stint on the Madrid. I only had two nights with no other pilgrims, but it seemed we must have been the tail end of walkers as three different groups of cyclists passed me and stopped to say I was the first walker they had seen.
It’s a route I’m delighted to have walked, but unlikely to do a second time. Waymarking and accommodations are excellent.
I blogged every day - if you’re interested,

I’ve just completed the San Salvador after my stint on the Madrid. I only had two nights with no other pilgrims, but it seemed we must have been the tail end of walkers as three different groups of cyclists passed me and stopped to say I was the first walker they had seen.
It’s a route I’m delighted to have walked, but unlikely to do a second time. Waymarking and accommodations are excellent.
Totally interested. What is your blog address?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen Camino!
Many thanks for your great help greetings from Australia

Kiwi Rachel, I've considered this route myself. Since you say you would not repeat this route, do you have preferred routes that you would consider repeating, and what reasons?
How did your cute sunhat you sewed work out for you? :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would be interested in this route, but one of the reasons I enjoy the Camino so much is the camaraderie. Not sure if I'd like to walk such a solitary route.

I would be interested in this route, but one of the reasons I enjoy the Camino so much is the camaraderie. Not sure if I'd like to walk such a solitary route.
I did this last year and had two meetings with other pilgrims (walking in May, and November). A man from Italy and five ladies from Belgium in a group. For me, that is NOT a problem, ever. I met lots of Spanish non-pilgrims of course.
Excellent way marking and accommodation. If anyone would be disappointed not to meet other pilgrims, probably not the ideal route. I would do it again at the drop of a hat!

Excellent way marking and accommodation. If anyone would be disappointed not to meet other pilgrims, probably not the ideal route. I would do it again at the drop of a hat!

Definitely agree with Tim.

In the Tres Cantos ayuntamiento (my first stop) I met 2 young Americans who were starting out on their first Camino. Yes, their first. I was of course curious as to the reason they picked the Madrid :"We heard that the Francés and Portuguese are too busy". I was surprised to see them in the albergue in Alcazarén but not when they reported having difficulty, taking a bus here and there and had decided to make their way up to León to continue on the Francés. The Madrid was just too quiet for them.

In Sahagún I made a spur of the moment decision to continue on the Francés instead of going on to the Salvador. Fast forward, one early morning before the climb up to La Faba I hear someone call out my name. It was the American couple! We saw each other several times after that but I unfortunately did not get to congratulate them in Santiago. They made a great decision for them. So a long story short, the Madrid is not for everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ah well! I'm getting the feeling that I'm not meant to walk the Camino Madrid. Unless I can arrange to start with others next April as I would go crazy with my own company for two weeks. I live alone anyway and look forward to my yearly camaraderie ,even with very few as on the Sanabrese last October.

Buen Camino!
James that sounds really wonderful. Sorry you missed Ray y Rosa in Manzanares el Real. You all would have enjoyed each other, if that makes sense. A really beautiful couple. They 'walked me' 5km the next morning and have great love for and knowledge of their own area.

Ah well! I'm getting the feeling that I'm not meant to walk the Camino Madrid. Unless I can arrange to start with others next April as I would go crazy with my own company for two weeks. I live alone anyway and look forward to my yearly camaraderie ,even with very few as on the Sanabrese last October.

That is something only you can decide but I can relay that my first Camino completely on my own with no pilgrim contact in 16 days (Granada - Mérida 2016) was certainly character building! I would spend extra long coffee breaks talking to locals and stop to chat whenever possible. I had previous years' experience walking with or meeting few pilgrims along the Plata and the Levante but 0?!? It certainly taught me the importance of human contact and communication.

There are so many lovely routes to explore. Find one that is calling you:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walk with my husband (and/or our son) and we love solitary caminos - because we have time together. Camino de Madrid was perfect - lots of time together, good contact with locals, so good Spanish practice.

I've only walked a few days on my own and that has been fine, but I don't think I'd enjoy two weeks alone.

I have been interested in the Madrid route. I walk with my son or a friend, so I would not be entirely alone. I hear the terrain is more "desert like" and not as lush and pretty as the Frances or Norte. Is this true? I usually go in April. Also, I only know a few words in Spanish. Would this ve a problem on such an isolated route?

I have been interested in the Madrid route. I walk with my son or a friend, so I would not be entirely alone. I hear the terrain is more "desert like" and not as lush and pretty as the Frances or Norte. Is this true? I usually go in April. Also, I only know a few words in Spanish. Would this ve a problem on such an isolated route?

There are long stretches through pine forests with lovely sandy paths and at the end, several days of walking through grain fields. Some may find this monotonous, I see it as time to contemplate. But there are many days before that with great variation in terrain. Just take a look at the pictures.

Walking it in the summer would paint a completely different picture but I walked the Madrid in June. All the locals said that it had been unusually cool and wet - actually all spring, and that it was unusual to have all the wildflowers still in bloom. My luck.

The two pilgrims are Forum member @gittiharre and her friend Jenny. I met them in Segovia and spent one night with them in Los Huertos. Our paths then separated.

Speaking Spanish always helps. I guess that it be best if someone else answers that question as I am fortunate enough to be able to communicate in several languages.

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

DSC_0631.JPG

DSC_0721.JPG

DSC_0779.JPG
DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0830.JPG

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh LT, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I will put this route back near the "front burner" for some serious consideration! Thank you so much for responding and sharing your pictures.

Lt, one last question (for now):)....are there still some interesting villages to walk through?
Hi, Chris,
There are some opinions on that question on another recent thread — https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/marks-out-of-ten.58566/#post-673273

I would walk this Camino again, absolutely. Springtime is by far the prettiest time. The fields of bright emerald green with splotches of bright red poppies were beautiful. Summer and fall are too dry and brown for my spirits. I have a blog from years ago when I walked, it’s below in my signature.
Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie! Long time, no see!:)
Thanks for your input, excellent as always. I will look forward to reading your blog of the Madrid and also the link you provided to the other forum thread. I would combine it with the Salvador, then finish up with the Norte as in 2016 I veered onto the Primitivo instead.
Chris

Hi Laurie! Long time, no see!:)
Thanks for your input, excellent as always. I will look forward to reading your blog of the Madrid and also the link you provided to the other forum thread. I would combine it with the Salvador, then finish up with the Norte as in 2016 I veered onto the Primitivo instead.
Chris

Great plan! And the walk from Oviedo up to Avilés is oh so nice. At least when you compare it to the route between Gijón and Avilés, which is all industrial, and which you will now miss completely, since the last time you turned down to Oviedo at Villaviciosa.

P.s. I was walking this section with a Spanish friend, who was quite surprised (pleasantly) at how Avilés has changed. It has a little bit of trendy going on.

I have just “rewalked” the San Salvador and am on the Primitivo for the second time - first time for hubby. I am surprised at how much I had forgotten, but it comes back to your memory as you walk. I think I still prefer to walk somewhere new though.
And after having only two nights alone on the Madrid, I still feel like I’m wAiting for a truly solitary Camino!!!
Waymarking is excellent but you need some Spanish to call hospitaleros and to order food. Excellent villages - every one seemed to have an impressive church or three.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.