• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino de Santiago July 2013

Lowther99

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk 'The French way' starting on the 24th July
Hello,

I am starting my camino in St.Jean on the 24th of July. My friend has dropped out at the last minute and I will have to do it on my own, which is not ideal.

If anyone else is starting around the same days as me. Please get in touch as I would love a companion to walk with.

Thanks,

Bueno Camino :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Lowther,

Good luck to you on your Camino. I just want to offer the opinion that many of us would think that this is a great opportunity for you. Walking with a partner, unless you are certain that you both have similar ideas and abilities about walking pace, ideas about distance to be covered, about when to rest, etc, can be a real source of tension. You will now have the freedom to make your own decisions and listen only to your own body. Don't be concerned about companionship, there will be hundreds of people starting out with you and you will find your own circle or camino family as you walk.

Another advantage is that if you are on your own you are really forced to put yourself out there and meet people. Now some might say that's a burden, not a benefit, but given the open spirit that still predominates on the Camino, you are likely to make some pretty astonishing connections.

Buen camino, you will have the time of your life. Laurie

p.s. Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, I am not criticizing people who choose to walk with a spouse, best friend, someone they connected with on the internet, etc. I'm only saying that walking alone has a lot of advantages.

Thanks Laurie.

I will deffiently take that info on board. I'm not too worried about doing on my own but you always feel better when there is at least someone you've known from the beggining.

Aaron

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lowther99:

I would second everything Laurie said. Walking alone, though you will never really be alone, allows you the freedom to accept everything the Camino has to offer you.

Be not afraid,
Joe

Hi all Fan of the Camino de Santiago,
As we have the same interest of the wonderful Camino de Santiago we would like to share with you useful things to make your Trip better.
Indeed 2 things are essential,
 Get a good mobile Application of the Camino providing, Map with monument, Hotel & Restaurant, and Taxis number; but also social media interaction and ground transportation planner. We have also linked up with Hike-Tech.com to allow a unique luggage transfer online booking capability.
CAMINO GUIDE provided by Follow the Camino is available in different languages 6 languages on Apple and Android and is FREE.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... free&hl=fr
Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camino- ... 90800?mt=8

 The second thing if you are not friendly mobile users is to book your luggage transfer before going on the Camino. Hike-Tech booking engine allow booking your luggage transfer in less than 5 minutes when you have your itinerary.
Simply your town from/hotel from the Town to/Hotel to, date and number of luggage and here you go  You can book as many stages as you like at once. No need to contact different taxis, we do it for you.
Once a booking is made, you will receive a confirmation with the contact details of each taxi transferring your bag(s).

So don t stress any more about your luggage and enjoy your Trip on the Camino.
http://www.hike-tech.com/en/services/luggage-transfer
For Walkers and cyclists on the following routes:
Le Puy: Le Puy en Velay to St Jean Pied de Port
French Way: St Jean to Santiago
Finisterre Way: Santiago to Finisterre
Northern Way: San Sebastian to Oviedo - Santiago
Portuguese Way: Tui to Santiago
English Way: Ferrol to Santiago

In hoping it will be as useful for you as for us.

peregrina2000 said:
... Walking with a partner, unless you are certain that you both have similar ideas and abilities about walking pace, ideas about distance to be covered, about when to rest, etc, can be a real source of tension. You will now have the freedom to make your own decisions and listen only to your own body. Don't be concerned about companionship, there will be hundreds of people starting out with you and you will find your own circle or camino family as you walk.

Laurie is SO right.

Remember what the transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau wrote mid 19th century
"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another
must wait till that other is ready."

Enjoy the freedom to find yourself!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aaron,
I can totally understand your nervousness and just wanted to echo what other posters have written and give you some encouragement. We live in Santiago and we see many pilgrims pass through town; we get to talk to a lot of them and hear their stories. Many of those who started out walking alone still found people they connected with and quickly developed community and friendships (as did I when I walked my short Camino). It just happens naturally and organically, either through walking the same stretch of path at the same pace, seeing each other repeatedly, or just hanging around in the hostels at the end of the day. The Camino subculture is so open and friendly, and many pilgrims develop their own "Camino families," those 3 - 12 (or more!) fellow pilgrims that they eat with, hang out with, and sometimes walk with. There will also be time to be alone, of course, but if you really want to meet people and connect it will be easy to strike up conversations. And then you'll quickly find out who you gravitate to and can go even deeper.

It reminds me of Martin Sheen in the movie "The Way" - even though he wanted to be alone in the beginning, he kept running into the same people on the trail and at the end of the movie they had all become family :). So take courage! It will be a great trip for you and you'll learn so much - don't be afraid that you're starting alone and have a blast watching these friendships develop for yourself! Take care and God bless. Buen Camino!

Lowther, I could't agree more with Laurie. There is virtually NO chance of staying alone on the Camino! You will be able to concentrate on your own walk and your own work and those who come to you along the way will belong to you alone.
Lucky you!
Buen Camino...
PS: In Spanish there is a saying: Mejor viajar solo que mal acompañado...
Better to travel alone than in bad company! But almost all company on the Camino is good.

Wow. Thanks to everyone who made the effort to get back to me. I think you guys right, it will be good to start off alone.

Start on Tuesday!!! Cannot wait! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi!
The exact same issue happened with me, a month before I left my friend dropped out and I almost did too because of it. I wrote a post on this forum that I will attach for you(mainly to do with safety of being a solo female though).

el-camino-frances/topic17550.html

People stated that it was going to be a "blessing in disguise" that my friend dropped out and after reading that I decided to go for it. I would absolutely go back and do it all over again the way I did. I did change a few things to my original plans that I thought would help me meet more people. I decided to change my starting location from Pamplona to St Jean, I would really recommend this if you have the time. That is where most new pilgrims start so it is a great day to meet others(or Roncesvalles would be good to, but the pyrenees are amazing). That is really my only advice. And go in without any expectations! It will be so much better.
But traveling solo will be amazing, trust me. No waiting around for someone or changing what you want to do for someone. I met incredible friends that will be around for my whole life because I went solo. Do it and dont be afraid! And to be honest, you really are never alone:)
Buen Camino!!!

Hola

You will not be alone. :)
Make your way to Saint Jean and let each and every day guide you through your Camino.
The Camino is like life. One day at the time.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Sounds to me that your friend was meant to drop out of this journey, maybe he/she is not ready to do Camino at this stage and maybe you are meant to do it alone......but as others have said you won't be alone! :)

Buen Camino
Aidan :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back