A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

camino del norte

2020 Camino Guides

SANDRAGABRIELA

Camino(s) past & future
(2020)
Hi, Which is the best way to get to irun from Barcelona or madrid .
best time of the year to do camino del norte

thanks

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

thanks
There is an entire sub-forum here for the Camino del Norte.

I did Irun to Vilalba last year in July, which apparently happened to be a very wet July, I was so happy to have my poncho. This year I did Avilés to Santiago in June, and it was cool and occasionally wet. The summer months are busier and it can be harder to find accommodations because the northern coast is also a popular tourist destination. I'm planning to do the Norte/Primitivo combo next September/October.

Camino(s) past & future
CF14(20)
Aussie Camino15
WHW15
CP16
CdelN Fin/Muxia18
GGW StCuthWay HadrWall CotswoldWay19

thanks
Hi, Pat & I went by train from Barcelona to Irun via San Sebastián ( we had to change trains at San Sebastián) in late April 2018. It was a good trip and great to see the countryside on the way. We left Barcelona in the morning and arrived in Irun early afternoon.
Friends have flown from Barcelona to San Sebastián Airport and then just walked into Irun from the airport as it is on the outskirts of Irun. It’s an easy walk into town.
When we walked the Del Norte in April/May/June 2018 we experienced a variety of weather, which was fine for us, wet, cold, warm & sunny! At that time it wasn’t too touristy! The whole walk was a wonderful experience.
Buen Camino
Anne & Pat

calmeg

If you get the early flight from Barcelona, you can walk out of the airport (which is a lot closer to Irun than it is to San Sebastian) and start directly on el camino del norte. Walking from the airport to town, you cross the path of the peregrinos leaving Irun. You can walk all the way to San Sebastian (25-27 Km) or have a short day and stop at Pasaia If the distance is too long going to San Sebastian ~16 KM).

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk the Camino del Norte from Castro Urdiales (2019)
There is an entire sub-forum here for the Camino del Norte.

I did the Norte from Castro Urdiales to Santiago in September. Weather was great - only two wet days.

I did Irun to Vilalba last year in July, which apparently happened to be a very wet July, I was so happy to have my poncho. This year I did Avilés to Santiago in June, and it was cool and occasionally wet. The summer months are busier and it can be harder to find accommodations because the northern coast is also a popular tourist destination. I'm planning to do the Norte/Primitivo combo next September/October.

SANDRAGABRIELA

Camino(s) past & future
(2020)
Hi

From biarritz to irun best way to go?or if you know a train from paris .
Im not sure if I will fly to paris or spain

thanks

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hi

thanks
You can take a bus and/or train from the Biarritz airport.
Check out Rome2Rio.com for transportation options

martyseville

Camino(s) past & future
a/a
Hi

thanks
train from Paris to heyday.
Then a quick change to Spanish train there to I r u n. (Darn spell checker doesn’t like I r u n)

Actually you just walk through the small station to other side. Easy.

I stayed in hotel bowling In I r u n. So did other walkers. Not a bad price.
Remember prices are high along the coast. Especially in summer months. Especially, especially, San Sebastián

reason for train change: spain has different rail gauge than rest of Europe in that region.

except trains from France to Barcelona. Then same rail gauge for Barcelona on wards

Bonzai_Buddy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (03, 09, 14, 18) Portuguese (17)
Francigena (16) Ingles (10) and more
The best way? Walk, of course. ;)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
Also easy from Barcelona. Train direct to Irun through San Sebastion. Irun station is practically on the Camino
and Albergue and Pensions nearby.

poogeyejr

Camino(s) past & future
Norte, May 2011
Norte, Sept 2013
Start of the Frances, 2017
I did the Norte in May 2011 (1-June 6) and Sept 2013 (5-Oct 15)
No rain In the fall and about 7 days in the Spring.

It was amazing both times.

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk the Camino del Norte from Castro Urdiales (2019)
I walked the Norte from Castro Urdiales to Santaigo in September so shared that beautiful weather. I am now planning my 2020 pilgrimage which may be from Lisbon or walking the Primitivo. (Comments and suggestions welcome). In the meantime before 2020 gets any older I wanted to wish a splendid New Year to the many people I met and friends I made along 'the way'. Best wishes, too, to anyone planning their first Camino by whichever route.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 178 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 291 24.6%
  • June

Votes: 85 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.3%
  • September

Votes: 337 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 146 12.3%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock